Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
School Scholarship- FACTS

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:44 pm
My kids' school is using FACTS to decide financial aid. Anyone here use it before? Any suggestions? There is more information that I would want to add in that I am not sure fits anywhere. My husband lost his job so our expenses clearly outweigh our income right now. They ask what we think we can afford. We can't afford it- that is the real answer! We don't know when he will get employed again (he is looking, went on interviews and all... that's not the point. He is doing what he can).

Any suggestions?
Thanks in Advance!!!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 06 2019, 10:57 pm
amother wrote:
My kids' school is using FACTS to decide financial aid. Anyone here use it before? Any suggestions? There is more information that I would want to add in that I am not sure fits anywhere. My husband lost his job so our expenses clearly outweigh our income right now. They ask what we think we can afford. We can't afford it- that is the real answer! We don't know when he will get employed again (he is looking, went on interviews and all... that's not the point. He is doing what he can).

Any suggestions?
Thanks in Advance!!!

I'm pretty sure at some point in the application it asks if you would like to add any additional information. If you can't afford anything at the moment then when it asks you how much you can afford, maybe put down $1000. It will be self explanatory when they see in your application that your husband isn't working and your in a difficult spot for now. Hopefully they are reasonable and give you a good scholarship. I'h your husband should get a job soon.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 1:53 am
amother wrote:
I'm pretty sure at some point in the application it asks if you would like to add any additional information. If you can't afford anything at the moment then when it asks you how much you can afford, maybe put down $1000. It will be self explanatory when they see in your application that your husband isn't working and your in a difficult spot for now. Hopefully they are reasonable and give you a good scholarship. I'h your husband should get a job soon.

Thanks so much. I just don't know how we will be able to afford tuition. We did all we could- saved, got decent jobs, didn't splurge/take vacations/pay for extras. But still in this predicament...

mig100

Post Thu, Mar 07 2019, 2:11 am
amother wrote:
Thanks so much. I just don't know how we will be able to afford tuition. We did all we could- saved, got decent jobs, didn't splurge/take vacations/pay for extras. But still in this predicament...

Hugs ur situation sounds very difficult.

U sound like an incredibly responsible and strong person. U dont sound at all bitter despite all ur efforts failing u. Which is an accomplishment in my book

Pls don't feel guilty. U were responsible financially and planned ahead. Once u put in ur best efforts the rest is beyond ur control. It really is. Anyone can loose a job or hit financial trouble. U see time and time again the most financially responsible and successful people hit financial slumps. It can happen to anyone and is completely beyond our control

Regarding ur question I'm not familiar with the application. Still here's what I tell myself when I wonder how will I affford multiple tuitions, making weddings etc? I don't know. Although me and dh also work to get good jobs and spend carefully- I still don't know how well manage all the expense th3 future will bring.

Life is expensive and who knows what expenses it will bring? I honesty don't know how well manage and how much we should b doing to prepare for future. It does trouble me

I always try to remind myself to take life one stage at a time. As long as we r trying to prepare financially there's no point worrying about the future. It a unpredictable and won't help.

Right now if ur dh is out of a job- ur totally entitled to ask for tuition break. I understand ur the type who feels guilty asking for huge break for undefined amount if time..thats impressive that ur thinking that way in such a difficult situation. I don't think u haved to worry about the ret of ur life now

Now take whatever break they offer. Try to take care of urself and stay strong. Next year ull worry about it then .hopefully u'll b in a Better situation. If not take it year by year. There's just no reason to worry about the rest of ur life. Someone who's temporarily out of a job and working hard to find one -is definitely entitled to ask for a break. No reason not to or to feel one bit guilty.

I hope the school is understanding and able to afford giving u financial help u deserve. Hatzlacha!

May ur dh find good job soon and may u alwayshave parnassa with ease ih!!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 2:28 am
Thank you for that. I am trying not to be bitter. I think the only clothing I bought for myself this past year was a few pairs of tights (mine had holes) and a pair of shoes as I wore them in the rain and found out they had a hole too.
I really appreciate what you said. Makes me feel better about asking. We have to ask as we couldn't send otherwise. My entire salary would be for tuition plus rent. Let alone costs associated with working like a way to get to work, utilities, food, clothes that fit my kids, health insurance, medical costs, school supplies, shampoo, toothpaste...
So appreciate your comments!!

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 14 2019, 4:04 am
Speaking from the school board side of things- you are absolutely entitled to ask for a break. We want to give your kids a good education and feel terrible that it is such a burden on some families. That's why we fundraise. That's why we go over the budget to find every penny available to lighten the load on parents. I hope that you get a full ride this coming year, and that in the future, you will be in a position to help others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics