Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
They need to be TAUGHT what they should do

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 2:33 pm
I was going into an elevater today and a toddler wanted to sit in her stroller. her mother said sure, as soon as we get out of the elevater.

as soon as she opened the elevater door and tried to back up, the toddler tried to sit in her stroller. the mother looked at her and said, cant u wait!!!??

she then looked at me and said, "my daughter only thinks about herself"

my respons to this is:

Kids do NOT KNOW what to do, and how to behave. noone is born KNOWING how to think of others first, or reading thier mothers minds about what they mean. its normal for a chiuld to think of themselves first. thats why we positively TEACH them what they should know.

for example, they mother should have told her, "honey, it would be so polite to wait till I get out of the elevater, its a mitzvah to let ure mommy go out first! Then you can sit.

OR, her first response should have beed at first "of course u can sit in your stroller, as soon as mommy is out of the elevater and moves to the side, so that we have space for u to go in.....

it just bothers me so much how some parents expect kids to be born knowing eveyrthing! whatever we want them to know we have to teach them, mainly throguh example!!!! (for example, if you hold the door opern for others, and point out to them what a big mitzvah it is, they will most likely do it to!) there is no point in shouting at them "that was rude! why didnt u hold the door open!? like they did it on purpose to be "bad" kids are good and pure.... mothers need to realize that!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 3:06 pm
This is sort of different and I was way past toddler age, but I still remember when my mother was incredulous that I didn't wash my face with soap every night before I went to sleep. I felt so stupid and remember thinking to myself - hello, how am I supposed to know to do that if you didn't tell me?
(Now I also don't wash my face with soap every night Wink )

gryp

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 3:27 pm
nice post, amother.

I would extend that all the way to teenagers too. Parents expect their teens to be suddenly mature just because they're "big."

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 3:49 pm
thanks. Yup this goes for ALL ages but starts when a child..

amother

Post Wed, Oct 31 2007, 9:47 pm
Quote:
This is sort of different and I was way past toddler age, but I still remember when my mother was incredulous that I didn't wash my face with soap every night before I went to sleep. I felt so stupid and remember thinking to myself - hello, how am I supposed to know to do

I think its exactly the same!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics