Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you enjoy Pesach cooking?
Previous  1  2

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:02 pm
I'm with PinkFridge, as usual. I like to be available to be with family or be in shul whenever possible.

If I'm in the kitchen for long on a Pesach morning, it's usually to wash and dry the kiddush cups, serving dishes, and cutlery I was too tired to deal with the night before.

Baked goods, meatballs, soup, matza balls - make and freeze a week or more ahead. Ditto, doughless knishes, and some side dishes. Mayo and most dips, a few days ahead. Guacamole, some cooked vegetables, salads, I do close to serving.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:16 pm
There’s actually zero difference between my regular and yom Tov cooking lol

OutATowner

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:22 pm
I enjoy cooking. But not on yom tov. Setting the table, tidying up, and putting together salads are enough for me. I prefer not having to worry about it right before, too much pressure.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:30 pm
ssspectacular wrote:
Do you leave your oven on?

No. It's just the one tiny flame and I put a blech on top to warm up food.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Apr 12 2019, 5:50 pm
I do a mix of advance cooking (meaning starting the day before erev YT) and fresh cooking. Certain foods are actually a little better when they have some fridge time and are then reheated, like chicken soup and roast. I serve a lot of cooked and fresh vegetables/ salads, and those are almost all better fresh. So I make those the day I'm serving.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 4:25 pm
andrea levy wrote:
There’s actually zero difference between my regular and yom Tov cooking lol

I have a friend who's entire family is 100% gluten free including all 5 grains, not just wheat. Her kids are older and know the rules, so there's no chance of a pretzel sneaking in.

She has the easiest, most relaxed Pesach ever! The cleaning lady just has to tidy up, and her cooking is the same as always.

Post Sat, Apr 13 2019, 10:51 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I do a mix of advance cooking (meaning starting the day before erev YT) and fresh cooking. Certain foods are actually a little better when they have some fridge time and are then reheated, like chicken soup and roast. I serve a lot of cooked and fresh vegetables/ salads, and those are almost all better fresh. So I make those the day I'm serving.

I have the opposite experience with my food. I make the same chicken soup on Pesach that I do every Friday. My family raves about my chicken soup during Pesach when it is fresh cooked. That's the only difference. All my cooking tastes better to them fresh.

During the week I cook a bit earlier in the day and serve everyone as they come home. Their times are so staggered that it's not practical to eat as a family. They love the food so much more when I finish up just as that are ready to eat.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 12:39 am
I prepare a few things before, but I make many things fresh. I wake up early, and put up a soup, and chicken or meat I can the oven.
I even enjoy baking on Yom tov. I have a hand cranked mixer to beat eggehites. It's fun on yomtov.
The meal for the second night I always prepare before.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 10:01 am
little neshamala wrote:
Nope sorry totally dont agree with you here Very Happy
To me theres nothing better than relaxing and having no work to do. Yom tov is my vacation! Which is really how my yom tov works out, when I make everything in advance. All I need to do is remember which pan to put on the hot plate, set the table, and kick back with a good book!

I agree with you. Everyone else is relaxing and I'm in the kitchen cooking...no way!! I don't like cooking on yom tov.

I label the cover of the pans what is for when. If we're having a certain chicken on Sunday night, I would write on the pan Sunday night. I don't even write what's in it. On a separate paper, I have written what when to make sure I take out the right amount of pans.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:00 am
I don't like the idea of cooking on Yom Tov. I like to enjoy the day as much as possible.

There is something nice about cooking for Pesach. Once the kitchen is kashered, which is a huge accomplishment, there is a huge relief on my part. I am glad to cook even the simplest thing.

For Pesach, food can be very simple, and its only eight days, not a whole month. I don't have to do complicated recipes. I don't have to impress anyone. Everyone knows I didn't have time to cook ahead of time, even me. Because of the "restrictions," I find it liberating not to have to worry about needing a whole bunch of different ingredients, and spices, like I usually do during the year. Most of the time I cook a roast in a crock pot and add potatoes and vegetables, and that is pretty much the meal for a couple of days. This year I may do a bit of a different technique, but nothing too complex.

rd0715

Post Sun, Apr 14 2019, 11:08 am
I love it
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics