Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you cover oven door with foil?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 4:34 am
How can I do so in a safe fashion?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 5:20 am
Don't do it, it's super dangerous. It gets kashered when you kasher the rest of the oven with high heat. Why do you feel the need to?

yidishmamma

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 5:22 am
ra_mom wrote:
Don't do it, it's super dangerous. It gets kashered when you kasher the rest of the oven with high heat. Why do you feel the need to?

Most poskim hold that when using self clean oven the door should be covered . That’s what we were told and I know of many others too.
Yes I cover with foil and used the oven and everything was fine Bh

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 5:22 am
ra_mom wrote:

Some rabbanim hold that the door doesn't get as hot as the rest of the oven and it should therefor be covered. Everyone needs to ask their own Rav.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 5:24 am
TMI whatever you do, please be smart and protect yourself and your family. Carefully look for all holes that vent and make sure to poke those same holes into the foil so that there are no explosions. V'nishmartom Me'od Es Nafshoseichem.

pause

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:01 am
We were told we need to cover the door which doesn't get as hot as the rest of the oven during the self-clean process and especially the gasket around the bump-out of the door which cannot be kashered. We've been doing this since we started making Pesach. BH no issues.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:08 am
We cover the glass. Tape the foil on with foil tape. 600 degree limit. It’s probably worth getting a replacement gasket for Pesach. We might cover the convection vent, I’ll have to ask Dh. Anyway, no convection on Pesach since it can’t be cleaned (libbun).

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:25 am
I self clean my oven without using foil. Afterwards I cover the inside of the door with heavy duty foil so that the glass is completely covered. I cut a long enough piece of foil so that it wraps around the front of the door and I tape the foil only to the front (no tape on the inside of the oven.) I've been doing this for years.

tichellady

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:38 am
Never heard of this before

sky

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 6:47 am
No. I just clean it really well.

I think because it never gets that hot it doesn’t have to be kashered at those temps ?

I’ve killed my oven once over pesach (control panel died, new igniter and broiler igniter all stopped working within a month of pesach). Now I make sure all vents are open and heat is pointed away from the control panel. Even with that I still see some warping over the years. Sad

pizza4

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 7:09 am
Yes with a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil front and back of the door, covering the glass, using just scotch tape.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:13 am
I've heard that if you self clean you don't need to cover/line the oven door bec there is no real pieces, mashe'hu of chometz or chashash that something insubstantial from the door will mix with the food in the oven. We don't line or cover the oven door. Just the stove top, etc.

ladYdI

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 8:25 am
The glass door does not get kashered by self clean. That’s why we were told it needs to get covered

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:13 am
yidishmamma wrote:
Most poskim hold that when using self clean oven the door should be covered . That’s what we were told and I know of many others too.
Yes I cover with foil and used the oven and everything was fine Bh

I've never heard of that so I'll abstain

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Apr 16 2019, 9:31 am
According to Star-K:

Quote:
Self-Cleaning Oven
In a self-cleaning oven, before using the self-clean cycle, one should clean the inside face of the oven door as well as the opposing outer rim of the oven outside the gasket, since these areas are not necessarily cleaned during the cycle. One should ensure that the gasket itself is clean on the area outside the oven seal. (Note: The gasket is sensitive to abrasion.) The self-cleaning cycle will then clean and kasher the oven simultaneously.

Caution: There is a potential risk of fire during the self-cleaning process, especially if there is a build-up of grease on the bottom of the oven. It is recommended that one apply Easy Off, made especially for self-clean ovens, to lift and remove the grease. The oven should not be left unattended while in the self-cleaning mode.

Due to reports of potential fires, one should not leave other operating heating appliances (I.e., dryers, toasters, coffee makers, toaster ovens, microwave ovens, or dishwashers) unattended. In fact, toasters and toaster ovens should be unplugged (by pulling on the plug and not the cord) when not in use.

Most oven manufacturers instruct the consumer to remove the oven racks before self-cleaning so they will not discolor. However, one may self-clean the oven with the racks inside even though they might discolor. After the self-clean cycle, one should use a little oil on the side of the racks to easily slide them in and out of the oven. There are some manufacturers that also require removal of the racks before the self-clean cycle can start. In this case, one should take the racks out, clean them very well, and then put them in the oven at the highest temperature (usually 550°F) for 40 minutes. This procedure kashers the racks.

Some ovens come with a convection feature. This feature allows for more uniform heat distribution by using a fan to circulate the heat. If the convection oven has the self-cleaning feature it will be sufficient to also kasher the fan using the self clean kashering method previously mentioned. If there is no self-cleaning feature, the entire oven including the fan, while it is circulating, must be sprayed with a caustic cleaner and cleaned well. The oven should then be kashered by turning it on to the 550°F setting for forty minutes.

Please note that many ovens today have “Aqualift” or Steam Clean instead of a conventional self-cleaning feature. Neither Aqualift nor Steam Clean get hot enough to kasher the oven. Instead, use the “conventional oven” kashering method as described above.

OU is even simpler:

Quote:
Self-clean Ovens Libun (burning):
Remove any visible food. Complete self-cleaning cycle with racks in place.

Neither states that the door is not kashered.

Obviously, if your rabbi holds otherwise, you should follow him. But don't assume that there is an issue, because major decisors hold there isn't.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics