Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Need toys for a 15 month old

anonymom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 3:54 am
I have a 15 month old in a babysitting situation where I need to provide my own toys. I need ideas for toys that will really entertain him as well as stimulate and that he will gain something from. I want something that he will not get bored of after a couple of days, and I am willing to make a decent investment in the right toy. I assume the babysitter does not have a lot of time to spend playing with him. (he's fed, cleaned, comforted and talked to, but she has two younger babies in addition)
Any ideas for particular toys and/or websites? Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any ideas.
P.S. I am not crazy about electronic toys that make tons of noise, but do not really have any educational value.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 9:28 am
None of my toys are electric!! Look for the brand mellisa and doug- they make great wooden toys.

My fifteen month old loves to look at picture books as well as to play with shapes sorters, stacking rings, the simple puzzles with the knobs on the pieces that are good for her tiny hands, and nesting blocks. How is your baby with walking? Mine loves to walk around pushing a doll stroller or that "popper" toy - Im not sure what it is called but it is a long stick attached to this bubble thing on wheels with little balls in side that when you push they fly around and making this popping noise.

What toys do you have at home? I think almost any toy would get boring after a few days for your baby if he doesn't have someone playing it with him...

MahPitom

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 10:18 am
Um, something sounds strange here. There are 2 younger babies there and no toys? What about lego blocks? Surely the babysitter will want that for her children at one point? You can try a ride on toy, big cars and trucks (even a girl) dolls and doll carriage, mega blocks… GO to the toy store and shop by age.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 12:22 pm
In my experience (5 boys) baby boys of this age don't need toys, per-se. A good ride-on toy as mentioned above is good (small so the little feet reach the ground), a ball or several balls in diff sizes maybe an activity center, maybe a doll sized stroller that he can push around. I found they generally wanted to "explore" at this age, as in go through the kitchen cabinets and drawers, play with plastic containers and wooden spoons and pots and pans etc. My boys loved taking books off the bottom shelves. Boys need a lot of physical activity - I hope your baby has room to run around and gets taken outside as much as possible. It's also good for him to hear music and dance, anything to keep him active so he doesn't get into mischief.
I wouldn't spend too much on toys at this point or even later on; give him simple things and teach him (or let him teach himself) to use his imagination.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Nov 11 2007, 2:27 pm
on the other hand I just got my 10 month old twins the fisher price sing along stage today. My twins have a BUNCH of toys. Board books a plenty, regular books that I put up high and take down to read TO them, loads of stuffed animals, and plenty of manipulatives (lots of electronic cell phone type things that say the letters and numbers and sing songs and whatnot). I actually have to go through "romper room" and "de-muktzify" before Shabbos.

I want them playing with TOYS--- not my pots and pans! I'm locking my kitchen cabinets, not rearranging so only unbreakables are down there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics