Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Benedryl for baby? Please help

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:26 pm
For travel.
The children’s benedryl says under 2- do not use.

Is that accurate? Is it safe for my 7 month old?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:31 pm
It's not safe for babies.
Maybe ask your pediatrician.

pesek zman

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:36 pm
For travel? You mean to sleep? Likely not but as your ped

pg

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:37 pm
U wanna use it as in a sleeping pill? I use it for a 7 month old with allergies.. So when he gets itchy and aggravated the dr told me np to give a 3/4 tsp.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:41 pm
The only time I've ever heard of someone using Benadryl for a baby to sleep was when r"l a babysitter gave her little charges including small babies Benadryl so that they would all nap at the same time. One baby never woke up and if I'm not mistaken that woman was arrested. So please ask your pediatrician if this is ok .

amother
Olive

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 2:45 pm
Benadryl is not an infant medicine. If you need it for medical reasons you should ask your pediatrician. It can be extremely dangerous at the wrong dose. It's not ok to drug a seven month old to sleep.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 3:06 pm
Benedryl is really not ideal for kids under 6, unless directed by a doctor.
Even if you do want to use it for sleep, it can often have the opposite effect. It can make the child irritable and hyper.
If you want something to make baby sleepy (which is not OK to do with an infant), maybe try one of these melatonin drops they sell at the healthfood store.

tweety1

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 3:47 pm
Ask your Dr!! Ask your Dr!! My Dr has told me numerous times to give 3/4 tsp for under a year. When my baby had a cold to help him sleep too.

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 4:23 pm
It’s extremely strong I would not give it.

My 2 year old went nuts when I tried giving it to him once. His body literally couldn’t handle it.

You can give Baby Motrin or Tylenol. As your pediatrician for the recommended dosage.

dankbar

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:06 pm
I also read somewhere that someone gave a baby double dose of benadryl than was ok & baby died

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:09 pm
My dad is a paramedic he doesn't let us give benadryl to kids under 5. Even 5/6 year olds he gives a tiny dosage.
Besides, drugging an infant to sleep is just wrong.

ectomorph

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:12 pm
Not ok. Benadryl suppressed the central nervous system which controls breathing which can make a baby die. Google for plenty of horror stories.
U can give a small amount of melatonin. Speak to your pediatrician.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:51 pm
My ped told me to give my 6 month old Benadryl before a flight.

Stop the attacks

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 5:55 pm
I was also told by a dr to give it to a 3 year old and it unfortunately had the opposite affect. He was terribly hyper the whole flight long!!!

SuperWify

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I was also told by a dr to give it to a 3 year old and it unfortunately had the opposite affect. He was terribly hyper the whole flight long!!!

Yup that what happened to us! LOL

amother
Olive

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:20 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My ped told me to give my 6 month old Benadryl before a flight.

Stop the attacks

Wonderful. But you asked your pediatrician, you didn't post on a website asking random non medical professionals how much to give, right?

Just gonna add that my ds once had an allergic reaction to a certain food when he was 7 months. I called my pediatrician in a panic, who asked me some questions and said NOT to give Benadryl. Because it's such a heavy duty medication, and he's very hesitant to ever recommend it for an infant. In general he's very laid back.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 6:26 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Wonderful. But you asked your pediatrician, you didn't post on a website asking random non medical professionals how much to give, right?

Just gonna add that my ds once had an allergic reaction to a certain food when he was 7 months. I called my pediatrician in a panic, who asked me some questions and said NOT to give Benadryl. Because it's such a heavy duty medication, and he's very hesitant to ever recommend it for an infant. In general he's very laid back.

That’s so interesting. What did he recommend Instead?

abaker

Post Fri, May 24 2019, 8:57 pm
Please don't give babies or children medications for your convenience. Medicines are helpful when they are truly needed for a medical reason, not for putting a child to sleep so you can have a smooth flight. So maybe your baby won't exactly cooperate on the flight/car ride/whatever, so be it. Skip the medications and just bring snacks,pacifier,even the iPad.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sat, May 25 2019, 9:44 pm
My seven month old baby needed to be on allergy meds for allergic reaction. Allergy Dr recommended zyrtec . benadryl is more fast acting and regular Dr did not recommend more than 1/2 teaspoon.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, May 25 2019, 10:06 pm
I asked my boss (a pediatrician) the same question. He advised against it because it can supress breathing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics