Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Becoming an optometrist

BoomChickaPop

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 4:24 pm
anyone have info on schooling and process for becoming an optometrist. is this a good field to go into, what are pluses and minuses. thanks.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:18 pm
It's a long haul. You'd need a bachelors, don't know what prereqs and then to get into optometry school which I'm pretty sure is at least 3 years.

brat_islava

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:23 pm
Are you interested in becoming an optometrist or an optician?
not the same ed requirement but no the same salary either

BoomChickaPop

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:44 pm
It's for my dd, she is interested in being an optometrist.

headabovewater

Post Sun, May 26 2019, 5:57 pm
https://www.sunyopt.edu/educat.....ments

Generally, it requires a bachelor's degree with similar requirements to pre-med. You then have to take the OATs (the optometry version of the MCATs). Fyi there is only 1 optometry school in NY (vs many more medical schools).
Optometry school is 4 years, and after all that you can hope to make around 80-90K a year (assuming you can find full time job). Many optometrists work multiple part time jobs. If you're so inclined, I'd recommend opthalmology (although there's added years of residency). II don't personally think it's worth the investment of time & money, u ness it's something she really wants to do. Go in with your eyes open.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:44 pm
Anyone else have info on this?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:47 pm
headabovewater wrote:
https://www.sunyopt.edu/education/admissions/od_program/admissions-requirements

Generally, it requires a bachelor's degree with similar requirements to pre-med. You then have to take the OATs (the optometry version of the MCATs). Fyi there is only 1 optometry school in NY (vs many more medical schools).
Optometry school is 4 years, and after all that you can hope to make around 80-90K a year (assuming you can find full time job). Many optometrists work multiple part time jobs. If you're so inclined, I'd recommend opthalmology (although there's added years of residency). II don't personally think it's worth the investment of time & money, u ness it's something she really wants to do. Go in with your eyes open.

Laugh

miami85

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 2:31 pm
I considered the field about 20 years ago, but as a more BY type was discouraged as it is a long schooling route and at the time there were only 17 programs in the entire country and only a small handful that were in areas with frum communities ( I think it was like NY Downstate, Philadelphia, and Chicago) --and considering I was planning on marrying a man in kollel it just wasn't practical.

I found a career path that was more in-line with my passion and I'm happy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics