Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Becoming breastfeeding counselor

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 12:04 am
I am RN but would love to be a lactation consultant. Such as IBCLC. Where can I get my clinical hours or mentorship working with moms before I take the exam. I cannot work full time as RN because it’s exhausting and I don’t like it ( unless it’s with babies and moms). I have passion for newborns. Please help with any leads. Thankyou.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 12:08 am
What do you mean mentorship? To become a IBCLC you need to take exams, clinical hours etc.
Ithink you need 95 hours of lactation education then theres a big test you have to take

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:28 am
amother Babypink wrote:
What do you mean mentorship? To become a IBCLC you need to take exams, clinical hours etc.
Ithink you need 95 hours of lactation education then theres a big test you have to take

Yes correct but before taking the exam there is requirement of 1000 hours of clinical work or volunteer or 500 hour mentorship. Who will hire me. Who will allow me to shadow them for mentorship. ? Is there a Jewish organization like leleche or similar that can allow me to gain experience?

ima22

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:30 am
Over how much time can you complete your 1000 hours? Look into that, maybe you have enough from your RN work (is your RN work relevant)?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:16 pm
ima22 wrote:
Over how much time can you complete your 1000 hours? Look into that, maybe you have enough from your RN work (is your RN work relevant)?

Unfortunately no

It has to be specifically mom baby breastfeeding related

HappyMamma

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:36 pm
I have no idea, but when I was in the hospital postpartum there was a student there with the lactation consultant. Maybe look into that?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 2:38 pm
Do you know any Lactation consultants in real life? I’d suggest contacting them.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:03 pm
where are you located?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:43 pm
amother Babypink wrote:
where are you located?

Brooklyn NY

I don’t know anyone personally who is lactation consultant except Sara Chana Sylverstin. But I don’t think she would hire.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:44 pm
HappyMamma wrote:
I have no idea, but when I was in the hospital postpartum there was a student there with the lactation consultant. Maybe look into that?

Good idea. Thankyou

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 4:54 pm
Most hospitals have a lactation team. I know the only thing covered by my insurance. Maybe check that out?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:00 pm
I’ve heard it’s hard to break into since hard to get clinical hours
Maybe call mother baby units or hospitals lactation line and ask if you can do hours there

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 5:14 pm
As an RN, do you already work at a hospital? Get to know the LCs on staff and talk to them.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 3:38 pm
Bumping is anyone here a lactation consultant? OP did you figure out how to navigate this? Also does anyone do lactation consulting in Israel- is it the same process?
Thanks in advance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics