Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Full day flight w kids—in exchange for an awesome vacation
Previous  1  2

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 9:47 pm
I’m getting anxiety just thinking about this!
Wishing you the BEST of luck!!
And maybe a Xanax and a glass of wine What

agreer

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 9:48 pm
30 hrs? N. F. W.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 9:59 pm
Nope I wouldn’t do it. Just flew with my family for pesach and won’t be doing it anytime again soon was very hard

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 10:05 pm
For people that live in smaller cities, this is the reality to get to Israel. We're going this summer ....the travel time it takes to get to the airport, the flight to a major city, a 4 hour layover, then the direct flight to Israel (could have been another stopover, so we're lucky). Basically it's over 20 hours. But we get to see Israel!

Stars

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 10:37 pm
agreer wrote:
30 hrs? N. F. W.

That

Mama Bear

Post Wed, May 29 2019, 10:47 pm
if you dont want your kids to watch movies, at least get a dvd player and some kosher dvds.
If that's too expensive, here's an interesting hack I figured out: I bought a Kindle fire, it's pretty cheap, you can get it for like $40 -- downloaded a few dozen youtube clips of jewish music videos (there are hundreds out there), and loaded them in. I did this for my autistic son who kept breaking his dvd players and tried stealing his staff's iphones so he could watch his favorite youtube clips Very Happy

smss

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 1:49 am
Mama Bear wrote:
if you dont want your kids to watch movies, at least get a dvd player and some kosher dvds.
If that's too expensive, here's an interesting hack I figured out: I bought a Kindle fire, it's pretty cheap, you can get it for like $40 -- downloaded a few dozen youtube clips of jewish music videos (there are hundreds out there), and loaded them in. I did this for my autistic son who kept breaking his dvd players and tried stealing his staff's iphones so he could watch his favorite youtube clips Very Happy

How do you download youtube videos?

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 2:51 am
Believe it or not, a few minutes ago (hashgacha or what!) I discovered "AirPair" that links up travelling families with people who want to help. (This is a paid service).

Google away, Moms! LOL

cinnamon

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 4:42 am
I did it a few times from Israel to New York. With a layover total travle time was 24-27 hours.
It depends on your kids but it's totally duable and was totally worth it for me.
Dh was there for work ten weeks at a time it was either go join him for a few weeks or not see him for the full ten weeks. We did that once and that is what I'm never doing again.
Travleing with the kids? I'll take that any time.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 6:26 am
When you said "full day flight," I thought you meant a day flight (as in, not overnight, but rather during daylight hours). But 30 hours???? Yikes.

I guess it's doable, but plan very carefully. Will your DH fly with you?

rowo

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:03 am
Totally doable!
Hope for the best and prepare for the worst!
Screen time - especially kids who don’t usually get lot will get you through it!
Cheap tablet, Download Jewish videos, games and audio books and that will keep them busy for a long time!
You don’t want to take too many chatchkes because you’ll just end up carrying a ton of stuff through long airport terminals.
Take a few small things that multiple children could use.
We did it with 4 kids 1 - 9.
Each one had a small backpack with a book, journal, pencils or markers, small game, headphones and either a tablet or old phone that we had put audio books and games on, plus small snacks.

In one of our carry on pieces of luggage we had the spare clothes.

It’s not a relaxing holiday, but it’s an awesome experience.

Also jet lag is not really avoidable. We found that melatonin helped (also for sleeping on the plane, we had 10 hour flights) but really we found it best to just go with the flow and after a few days things sort themselves out.

Good luck!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 7:15 am
As a vacation? Absolutely not.

As an amazing family trip experience? Yes!!

yerushamama

Post Thu, May 30 2019, 9:29 am
Have you flown with the kids before? I have found that some kids travel well, and others don't. The hardest will be the 1 y.o., especially if traveling as a lap baby, and any toilet trained kids who are picky about bathrooms. One of my kids, at age 4, refused to use the restrooms (or pull-ups) on the plane and during our stopover - total of 20 hours!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics