Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
If your child has Autism: do you remember...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Stars

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 2:24 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I know you didn't ask, but to be on the safe side, hold off on vaccines. Your child is one of those who should qualify for a medical exemption.

Lol are you insane? Asking for real. LOL LOL LOL
I'm literally rolling

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 2:26 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Early signs of autism are-
No eye contact
They don’t calm down when they hear a person entering the room and they are crying
They don’t sooth even when you hold them
Etc

But most kids regress between 12-18 months and that is when the signs start to show.

These signs can mean many things...or nothing at all. My child happened to have all the above, and I worried about autism. Turned out she was deaf. Who woulda thunk.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 3:16 pm
2 kids with ASD. One I knew at 2 1/2 (and signs earlier), one not till 12.

No signs from either as infants, and no regression. They were very different babies, but both within the range of normal. The one who got diagnosed earlier, he was in EI because his language didn't develop normally as he became a toddler. In retrospect, I think his ADHD (severe) was more obvious than his autism. He never had any fear or impulse control and was super active from the word go.

What sealed it for me with him wasn't just his verbal language. what tipped me off that it was ASD and not something else was that he had issues with nonverbal communication. He didn't point or gesture and he couldn't follow my gestures.

With my other one, she was a picky eater and still is (lots of sensory issues) but that doesn't always mean ASD.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 3:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi, my baby is considered high risk of Autism because DH and I each have a first degree relative with Autism.

He is now 7 weeks old and makes good eye contact with me while nursing. Certainly that is a good sign, right?

If your child had Autism, do you happen to remember if they made good eye contact at this age?

As the saying goes, "if you know a child with autism, you know one child with autism."

Every story I've heard is different. I've had two children on the spectrum, and at the time, I remember thinking that they were so smiley and cute and perfect, and had no fears for them, and they both ended up on the spectrum. Both I figured out around 18 months of age. Later, I had a child who had NO eye contact with me at seven weeks, and ended up being super social and extremely neurotypical.

Daven. Kiss your baby. Don't make yourself crazy.

imorethanamother

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 3:43 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I know you didn't ask, but to be on the safe side, hold off on vaccines. Your child is one of those who should qualify for a medical exemption.

I believed all the hype after my first child was diagnosed with ASD, so I didn't vaccinate my second child. When he was 12 months, he was clearly autistic.

He's fully up to date with his vaccines. Because not vaccinating doesn't save anyone from anything. I'm sorry you think that there's some kind of magic solution for this, but there just isn't. It's a nisayon for our times.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 3:53 pm
Like others have said: each child is different. If anything concerns you trust your gut rather than opinions here or from friends etc. I wish I wouldnt have listened to my pediatrician who kept on dismissing my concerns from birth until things became really extreme. Keep an eye- if he’s fine - Baruch Hashem! If you have things that worry you - theres nothing like getting help when theyre really little

yksraya

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 4:06 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
maybe severe autism you can tell right away but PDD and mild autism does not present until closer to age 2

My brother suddenly stopped doing milestones at 5. He had the most severe case of autism of all of USA back then (maybe now there are other such severe cases) he was totally not showing symptoms (or the symptoms were too mild to notice). He walked, talked, used the bathroom and everything a kid his age does. Till one day when he just stopped and got worse day by day.

(he was not vaxxed, to those who want to blame it on the MMR)

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jun 06 2019, 5:33 pm
Dd has mild autism. She made good eye contact. Spoke at an early age with no loss of words as she got older. She was just a regular baby.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 8:27 am
If I've said it once, I've said it a million times, and I will keep on saying it:

It's called a SPECTRUM for a reason!

Louder for those of you in the back.

nicole81

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 8:36 am
I have a teen with HFA. When she was an infant, she had great eye contact and was very social and funny. At about 13 or 14 months, she started withdrawing, sitting around and staring into space for long periods of time, avoiding eye contact, etc. She also fell behind in speech at about 14 or 15 months old.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:14 am
My child seemed distant, rarely cried, didn't want to be held to go to sleep. Didn't seem to care if I entered or left a room he was in. I could take away a toy or move him to a new place and wouldn't react. and he Spoke in a sing song voice. There was something "off" about him from early on. I finally had my suspicions confirmed on his second birthday but I knew way before.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 11:54 am
As a SLP, I have seen many kids with autism connected to a complex prenatal or neonatal history.

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 12:26 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
As a SLP, I have seen many kids with autism connected to a complex prenatal or neonatal history.

Can you give some examples?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 07 2019, 5:58 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Why? There is NO connection! Twisted Evil

You are the minority and the answer is useless. She is right. Better to hold off. If you dont like her comment, leave it.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 9:08 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
You are the minority and the answer is useless. She is right. Better to hold off. If you dont like her comment, leave it.

While I don't believe that who is in the majority matters here (about the only situation I can imagine where it would might be if Yael took a poll before considering a change to site policy, although I don't think that currently banned topics were discussed in polls), I do wonder how you concluded that Burlywood (who said there is no connection between vaccination and autism) is in the minority. On this thread? Her post got 29 likes compared to Papaya's (who recommended delaying vaccination for this child), to which she replied, which got 4. Among all members here? In the frum world? In the entire world?

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 10 2019, 6:21 pm
Hug your baby. Enjoy your baby. Love your baby. Get help if you need it. Only use labels if they help you. Don't let them define you or your baby. Hashem knows what He is doing. You'll know what you need to know when you need to know it. Life will have ups and downs. There is a bigger picture that we are not privy to. Enjoy life one day at a time. One moment at a time.

Oh and BTW G-d causes autism and there ain't nothing we can do about it.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 1:16 am
My severely autistic child was a very healthy and normal baby except for one strange thing: he never explored things with his mouth......
He was diagnosed at 29 month.
My other kids are all high risk obviously because they are siblings but they all turned out to be healthy and well adjusted kids, B"H!

Just love your baby and daven and daven and again daven!

p.s.

All my kids are up to date with their shots.

Surrendered

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 1:27 am
I won't say either way, to yes or not vaccinate little ones. That is irrelevant.
But whenever you wanna voice your opinion, please do so in a very sensitive manner.
Please be aware: All people on this site are human with feelings. Use sensitivity.

momsrus

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 1:36 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

If you don’t like another burlywoods comment, please take your own advice and leave it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 11 2019, 5:52 am
Thanks for the relevant responses.

It sounds like some Autistic people showed signs as little babies, but others had no signs until later on. So I should feel encouraged that there are no signs, but not take it as proof that he won't be Autistic.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics