Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to finally get rid of recurring ear infections
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:17 am
What do I do if I have a very picky eater who likes so many dairy products and won’t touch others?

bluebaker

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 8:21 am
The main reason is diet. Dairy and other allergies. You need to take him to an allergist who can determine through elimination what specifically he is allergic to and to change his diet accordingly. There are other reasons in addition - read
https://www.healthychild.com/e.....ions/

amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son has had one ear infection after another. He’s been on medication for the latest one for a week already and he’s still waking up crying multiple times at night and super cranky by day. I already made an appointment at an ent but the earliest was in a month and I really want to help him now. Did you have anything that worked to get rid of it? I tried the garlic drops, it didn’t help and his doctor wasn’t a fan.

polka dots

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:20 am
There are drops from MR. saw it sold In monsey pharmacies. I don’t have personal wxpwrience with this product but tried a few of her other products and it worked really well. A few people told me that it worked for ear infections.

erm

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 9:43 am
I used kyolic and panto-c for my daughter. She had ear infections for over a year until I started giving her a teaspoon of each mixed into a little grape juice twice a day. Two weeks later she was clear and didn't have another ear infection. She took the vitamins daily for years.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:31 am
polka dots wrote:
There are drops from MR. saw it sold In monsey pharmacies. I don’t have personal wxpwrience with this product but tried a few of her other products and it worked really well. A few people told me that it worked for ear infections.

What is MR?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 10:38 am
3 of kids had recurring ear infections. We discovered it was related to food allergies. As soon as we tested and put them on diets (and myself when I was nursing), the ear infections stopped.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 11:05 am
Nasal hygiene : flushing out the nose with saline and then sucking out the mucus with a nasal pear (like mouche-bebe) at least once per day when they aren't sick / teething (more often when they are) AND elevating the head of the bed all the time until they are five to help with ear drainage. My first one had two ear infections until I went back to me pediatric medical school books and reminded myself of these rules. No ear infections in ANY of my my kids after that!

It's tricky because you have to hold the babies and toddlers down at first, but by three years old they can do it themselves.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:15 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
3 of kids had recurring ear infections. We discovered it was related to food allergies. As soon as we tested and put them on diets (and myself when I was nursing), the ear infections stopped.

can you recommend someone good in brooklyn? Also, if there are food allergies, would it make sense that this is the only symptom?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:17 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Nasal hygiene : flushing out the nose with saline and then sucking out the mucus with a nasal pear (like mouche-bebe) at least once per day when they aren't sick / teething (more often when they are) AND elevating the head of the bed all the time until they are five to help with ear drainage. My first one had two ear infections until I went back to me pediatric medical school books and reminded myself of these rules. No ear infections in ANY of my my kids after that!

It's tricky because you have to hold the babies and toddlers down at first, but by three years old they can do it themselves.

I have been doing that. My baby screams and fights so it's hard to do. Does teething contribute because he happens to be teething terribly now (getting molars)? Also, I sprayed saline in and tried sucking it out but didn't get so much out really, does that make sense?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do I do if I have a very picky eater who likes so many dairy products and won’t touch others?

Treat it like a milk allergy for a month and see if there's any change. It's very possible that it's causing him real harm, just like a milk allergy would.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:25 pm
Quote:
can you recommend someone good in brooklyn? Also, if there are food allergies, would it make sense that this is the only symptom?

Sorry. I didn't live in Brooklyn.

Sometimes it was just ear infections (non-stop starting at 3 months) and others it occurred with a flare of eczema.

Just note, the pediatrician didn't believe me that it was allergy related. I went to an allergist who confirmed my suspicions.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:30 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Treat it like a milk allergy for a month and see if there's any change. It's very possible that it's causing him real harm, just like a milk allergy would.

Wait, he might not be allergic to dairy but it still would be causing him ear infections and fluid buildup? I thought it's only as a result of an allergy.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wait, he might not be allergic to dairy but it still would be causing him ear infections and fluid buildup? I thought it's only as a result of an allergy.

Sometimes it's a true allergy, which is an immune system response. This can manifest itself in many ways, some more obvious than others. Sometimes it's not an immune system response, it's just the way his body is reacting to dairy. Either way, if it has this effect on him (as demonstrated by eliminating dairy completely for a month and noticing a change), you should treat it as something serious. Recurring ear infections can cause real damage, aside from the obvious pain it's causing him.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:43 pm
Yes, dairy can build fluid and mucus in body, even if not allergic. Try taking him off dairy and giving him some vitamins to strengthen his immune system.

nchr

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 12:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Remove dairy from your home. Serve him other foods. Eat them together with him. He is not going to starve and nothing will happen if he is hungry and cranky for a day or so until he tries otherfoods. Places lots of other options in front of him.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have been doing that. My baby screams and fights so it's hard to do. Does teething contribute because he happens to be teething terribly now (getting molars)? Also, I sprayed saline in and tried sucking it out but didn't get so much out really, does that make sense?

With teething, you won't get much out with sucking. Spraying is enough. But it prevents the cold virus from grabbing hold of the mucus membranes (especially when brothers and sisters from playgroups and school bring home virus after virus.

During teething time, I often give a dose of acetaminophen before bedtime. Teething is painful!

And yes, babies and toddlers squirm when getting their noses sprayed and succioned. Try with your spouse or older kid: one person holds their arms above their head against their ears (like a swimmer pushing off the side of the pool) and the other holds the body down with one hand or with their knees and uses the other hand to spray the nostrils then succion. With a bit of practice, this becomes a 30 second routine.

Many people come to me after clinic hours to ask me to check their kids' ears; more often than not they leave with a bottle of hydrasense rather than a prescription. LOL

And don't forget to raise the head of the bed.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 1:17 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
With teething, you won't get much out with sucking. Spraying is enough. But it prevents the cold virus from grabbing hold of the mucus membranes (especially when brothers and sisters from playgroups and school bring home virus after virus.

During teething time, I often give a dose of acetaminophen before bedtime. Teething is painful!

And yes, babies and toddlers squirm when getting their noses sprayed and succioned. Try with your spouse or older kid: one person holds their arms above their head against their ears (like a swimmer pushing off the side of the pool) and the other holds the body down with one hand or with their knees and uses the other hand to spray the nostrils then succion. With a bit of practice, this becomes a 30 second routine.

Many people come to me after clinic hours to ask me to check their kids' ears; more often than not they leave with a bottle of hydrasense rather than a prescription. LOL

And don't forget to raise the head of the bed.

I have a relative who is a top ENT and he told me the most important thing is to flush with saline for a month to get rid of fluid. So you're definitely on target. Does hyrasense spray into the nose even when in a reclining position? I had a saline spray from nose frieda and it only sprays when in the upright position but my relative told me to do it laying down.

I would love to raise the head of the bed if he only stayed in one place. He is all over the crib so that wouldn't work. I did it when he was a baby and didn't move around.

believeit

Post Mon, Jun 24 2019, 4:43 pm
Didn't read all the replies but I want to add.
My dd had infection after infection when she was a baby. And a lot of fluids in her ear. I called a reflexology and after half a year. There was no infections anymore. I went to the pediatrician and she said her ear is clear. You have to look for a recommended reflexolog. Not all are good. She new when she had an upset tummy for example. And minutes later she would indeed have a bowel movement diarree type (sorry tmi)

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a relative who is a top ENT and he told me the most important thing is to flush with saline for a month to get rid of fluid. So you're definitely on target. Does hyrasense spray into the nose even when in a reclining position? I had a saline spray from nose frieda and it only sprays when in the upright position but my relative told me to do it laying down.

I would love to raise the head of the bed if he only stayed in one place. He is all over the crib so that wouldn't work. I did it when he was a baby and didn't move around.

Thank you for posting. I wish everyone would stop accusing doctors of only pushing antibiotics. Most mother's who come to ask for antibiotics and I refuse! But they don't want to spray the child's or baby's nose and hold them down, listen to them scream for a few seconds. This is the only way you can really flush out the excess fluid built up.

My worst fear is that children CV'S have hearing damage caused by chronic ear infections.

Just raise the head of the bed/crib a bit and see what happens.

I buy the gentle-mist hydrasense, whcih flushes well when standing and lying down (but we usually lie the child down).
Hatzlochoh!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:23 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Thank you for posting. I wish everyone would stop accusing doctors of only pushing antibiotics. Most mother's who come to ask for antibiotics and I refuse! But they don't want to spray the child's or baby's nose and hold them down, listen to them scream for a few seconds. This is the only way you can really flush out the excess fluid built up.

My worst fear is that children CV'S have hearing damage caused by chronic ear infections.

Just raise the head of the bed/crib a bit and see what happens.

I buy the gentle-mist hydrasense, whcih flushes well when standing and lying down (but we usually lie the child down).
Hatzlochoh!

I got that hydraswnse and it’s working well so far. Much easier to use. I hope it works. I finished meds for one ear yesterday and today his other ear is infected. Trying to flush the fluid out and hoping I can avoid giving him medication again. I wish this endless cycle would end 😧
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics