Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to finally get rid of recurring ear infections
Previous  1  2  3

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:35 pm
The problem with the sinus wash, is that once the child realizes what is going to happen, they are going to scream and run away from you. Your child will fear you every time they see you reach for the bottle of saline.

DD was not allergic to dairy, but she was lactose intolerant. Switching her formula helped a lot. It also turned out that she had the most inflamed adenoids and tonsils that her ENT had seen in over 30 years of practice. They had to come out, and ear tubes went in. After that, she never had another infection.

On the other hand, I have allergies to pollen, and constant sinus infections on one side of my face. It causes a lot of headaches. I'm going to start doing nasal irrigation and see if I can get the pressure and post nasal drip under control.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:41 pm
Stars wrote:
I put an entire peeled garlic clove on the ear with a big bandaid overnight and bye bye ear infections for a good long time. The reason they are not fans of the drops is because it can get into the eardrum if it bursts.

I do the same after having a couple of kids with tubes. After I started this method with my other kids , none of them had recurring ear infections like their siblings. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not. But it really DOES work!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:53 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
I do the same after having a couple of kids with tubes. After I started this method with my other kids , none of them had recurring ear infections like their siblings. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or not. But it really DOES work!

How do they sleep with a clove in their ear? Also my one year old will no doubt pull it right off. I want to try this but I don’t think I can.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do they sleep with a clove in their ear? Also my one year old will no doubt pull it right off. I want to try this but I don’t think I can.

You slice the clove in a way to have the flat side lying on the ear by the opening (the clove is bigger than the opening so it wont go in. the end is slightly narrower so you put that part towards the opening of the ear. Then tape it down with one or two bandaids. Sometimes it falls off in their sleep if they roll around alot. I just replace it with a new clove and new bandaid. I've even done it for my teens and they claim it healed completely for them as well.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:01 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
You slice the clove in a way to have the flat side lying on the ear by the opening (the clove is bigger than the opening so it wont go in. the end is slightly narrower so you put that part towards the opening of the ear. Then tape it down with one or two bandaids. Sometimes it falls off in their sleep if they roll around alot. I just replace it with a new clove and new bandaid. I've even done it for my teens and they claim it healed completely for them as well.

Okay. Will try it iyh.

Stars

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can stick it on once he's asleep already. Good luck! Like others said it's not only about the pain and the annoyance but about the real damage recurring ear infections can cause.

Ma3

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:30 pm
My son had tons of ear infections too. Till I learned that medication can sometimes keep ear infections coming back, if meds aren't really needed, because it just weakens immune system... So I started demanding that my Dr do a CBC (bloodwork, tiny prick on finger) before prescribing meds, to see if it's viral or bacterial. Once when my kid had a double ear infection, I asked my Dr. to do a CBC and he was like, c'mon it's a DOUBLE ear infection!! Lo and behold, after 5 min results were in that it's viral. My Dr then told me that he can't believe it, since treating a viral infection with meds will not only not help situation, but can make it worse!!! I can still see him now, shaking his head in disbelief, saying that he can't believe he would've wanted to give my son medication.

Since then, I was even stronger in making sure that meds be given for ear infection only if CBC showed that it's an infection. I used MR eardrops that really helped. They're sold in all health food stores and some pharmacies. Instructions on how to use it is on bottle. I also tried to eliminate dairy... Kept going to ENT also... It was a long parsha, but b"h eventually we got through it!!!

Doctors prescribe meds for ear infections without thinking or blinking. Parents need to be informed before stuffing meds when it isn't necessary, because then it becomes a vicious cycle, because system is weak.

In no one am I a fan of not medicating. But it bothers me how Drs prescribe so freely. Hope your kid has no more ear infections again!! Bh my son didn't need any tubes or anything in the end. He was borderline for tubes and we kept using the MR drops as well as no dairy for a while...

Hope this helps!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:39 pm
Does anyone know how long it takes to start getting better when it’s viral? He was burning with fever last night but fine today so I’m holding off on the meds. Just wondering if it’s possible it started getting better so fast.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 9:40 pm
Ma3 wrote:
My son had tons of ear infections too. Till I learned that medication can sometimes keep ear infections coming back, if meds aren't really needed, because it just weakens immune system... So I started demanding that my Dr do a CBC (bloodwork, tiny prick on finger) before prescribing meds, to see if it's viral or bacterial. Once when my kid had a double ear infection, I asked my Dr. to do a CBC and he was like, c'mon it's a DOUBLE ear infection!! Lo and behold, after 5 min results were in that it's viral. My Dr then told me that he can't believe it, since treating a viral infection with meds will not only not help situation, but can make it worse!!! I can still see him now, shaking his head in disbelief, saying that he can't believe he would've wanted to give my son medication.

Since then, I was even stronger in making sure that meds be given for ear infection only if CBC showed that it's an infection. I used MR eardrops that really helped. They're sold in all health food stores and some pharmacies. Instructions on how to use it is on bottle. I also tried to eliminate dairy... Kept going to ENT also... It was a long parsha, but b"h eventually we got through it!!!

Doctors prescribe meds for ear infections without thinking or blinking. Parents need to be informed before stuffing meds when it isn't necessary, because then it becomes a vicious cycle, because system is weak.

In no one am I a fan of not medicating. But it bothers me how Drs prescribe so freely. Hope your kid has no more ear infections again!! Bh my son didn't need any tubes or anything in the end. He was borderline for tubes and we kept using the MR drops as well as no dairy for a while...

Hope this helps!

Never knew that’s an option!! I wonder if my pediatrician would cooperate.

Ma3

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Never knew that’s an option!! I wonder if my pediatrician would cooperate.

My Dr originally wasn't always very happy about it, saying it's not necessary, etc... Once I had the double ear infection story, he did it every time I asked without a boo & then asked me to follow up & check my son's ears again in a few days after doing some natural stuff.

Ma3

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Does anyone know how long it takes to start getting better when it’s viral? He was burning with fever last night but fine today so I’m holding off on the meds. Just wondering if it’s possible it started getting better so fast.

Why not?! Really depends on severity of ear infection and how you treated it, if at all... If he's fine today, he's probably feeling better...

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jun 27 2019, 11:09 pm
Ma3 wrote:

Hope this helps!

This x1000000
My kids ped before we moved tools me 95% of eat infections are viral.
Ppl think the abx are working. But really, it takes the sake amount of time for the east infection to get better as it does for abx to work on a bacterial infection!!! Not once did he prescribe abx.

He also said, of the rest 5% more than half are minor infections. So only about 2% of ear infections have the potential of going bad and traveling... and even those he'd monitor rather than treat right away....

Another thing he told me, viral ans bacterial infections look different. It just takes expertise to know....

I never gave abx for my kids for ear infections.
Motrin is better than btylenol fit Iain relief as it is anti inflammatory.

Ma3

Post Fri, Jun 28 2019, 1:25 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
This x1000000
My kids ped before we moved tools me 95% of eat infections are viral.
Ppl think the abx are working. But really, it takes the sake amount of time for the east infection to get better as it does for abx to work on a bacterial infection!!! Not once did he prescribe abx.

He also said, of the rest 5% more than half are minor infections. So only about 2% of ear infections have the potential of going bad and traveling... and even those he'd monitor rather than treat right away....

Another thing he told me, viral ans bacterial infections look different. It just takes expertise to know....

I never gave abx for my kids for ear infections.
Motrin is better than btylenol fit Iain relief as it is anti inflammatory.

TRUE TRUE TRUE!!! YOU COULDN'T HAVE SAID IT BETTER!!! And it really pains me because how should a new young mother know?! We tend to trust our Drs & just do as they say. Infection = antibiotics. Luckily, by my first baby, I spoke to my sister who already had experience & she told me, "Never give medication for an ear infection without verifying that it's actually bacterial."

Op, didn't read through the entire thread, just saw your question and had to give my two cents, because not everyone knows. Kids can be in such pain that you feel like, "Let me just give the medication" Really, the child gets better in a few days without the meds as well. And you're right, Amother Oak, the child needs motrin to relieve the pain. Ear infections can be very very painful!! Even if you're treating with a natural remedy, the child needs instant pain relief.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics