Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Really interesting produce in Hispanic stores
Previous  1  2  3  Next

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 10:13 pm
Squishy wrote:
Nanuet. I don't know the name.

Where is the Hispanic store? I love cooking different kinds of food from different countries. Maybe I will do empanadas tomorrow. I am already soaking the beans for rice and beans. My plantains are ready. I have yuca.

Um, don't scream but it is Spring Valley Food across from Turtle Boo. I know the place looks like a dump but has lots of interesting stuff.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 10:15 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
SB
Go to the store by 59/rt 45 and get plantains .. They look like bananas..

Fried them and serve with Cinnamon and ice cream

Is that Food Fair?

Post Tue, Jul 09 2019, 10:20 pm
Amarante wrote:
I’m not a flan kind of gal. Have you had Tres Leches Cake. It is delicious and is made with three kinds of milk.

Here’s a brownie recipe from Frontera’s Grill which is Rick Bayless’ Mexcan restaurant in Chicago.

Chocoholic Chile Brownies

This brownie recipe was designed with the chocoholic in mind.  It features four kinds of chocolate: semi-sweet, unsweetened, cocoa and chocolate chips.  The freshly ground pasilla negra chile enhances the chocolate and adds a mild hit of spiciness.  Don't be tempted to substitute commercial chili powder or cayenne for the pasilla.  If  you're looking for a substitution, go with ancho chile powder which is readily available. 

Servings: 16 Brownies

INGREDIENTS

1stick unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces plus extra for the pan.
5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons pasilla [black person] chile powder (see testing notes)
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the rack in the middle position. Butter an 8-inch square baking pan. Line the pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper, leaving an overhang on all four sides to create a sling. Butter the parchment. Set aside.

In medium heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the butter, and both the chopped semisweet and unsweetened chocolates, stirring occasionally until smooth. Let cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, chile powder, cocoa and salt.
In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, both sugars and vanilla in a medium bowl until combined. Whisk in the warm chocolate mixture. Then switch to a rubber spatula to stir in the flour mixture and chocolate chips. Mix until just combined. Pour mixture into prepared pan and spread into corners. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a small amount of sticky crumbs clinging to it, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Lift the brownies out of the pan using the parchment paper overhangs and transfer to a cutting board to slice.

Testing Notes:

Stem and seed 3 pasilla chiles. Lay them on an ungreased baking sheet in a preheated 375 degrees oven for 4 minutes or until toasted and dry. Let cool and then grind in spice grinder. You should have about 2 1/2 tablespoons of pure chile powder

Sounds delicious! I am not a flan kind of gal either. I figure I might as well carry the theme fully to dessert. DH loves flan. He doesn't love brownies nor chocolate with chili powder.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:32 am
cbg wrote:
Did you get some names of the vegetables
Malanga, Yuca, Plátano
These are all very delicious and can be prepared in different ways

Over here yuca is called mandioca. I always see it, but still have not bought it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 8:45 am
southernbubby wrote:
I see lots of funny looking fruits and vegetables. Is that stuff any good? Is it nutritious? They are also selling large bags of rice, cornmeal and black beans. What do they do with it? Also huge pieces of dried fish.

LOL any good? why do you think they eat it? What do you mean by nutritious, it's food.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
LOL any good? why do you think they eat it? What do you mean by nutritious, it's food.

I looked up breadfruit and it is more nutritious than anything else that I normally eat so the question of the day is, why are we not eating it?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:21 am
southernbubby wrote:
I looked up breadfruit and it is more nutritious than anything else that I normally eat so the question of the day is, why are we not eating it?

I don't know who "we" are.

In general most people aren't interested in spending time in exploring new recipes and foods.

It takes time and interest and a spirit of adventure to expand horizons.

I also think the frum community is probably particular insular in terms of its food tastes for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that it is completely limited in terms of being able to easily sample ethnic cuisines. I once directed a visitor to Los Angeles to what I think is the only kosher Thai restaurant in existence - I think she enjoyed it Smile Although some of the menu is more Asian than strictly Thai, I think quality of the dishes is somewhat more authentic (and delicious) than most kosher Chinese/Asian restaurants.

What passes for ethnic food served in kosher restaurants is for the most part laughable - equivalent to what people ate in the 1950's before more authentic food became available Very Happy When one reads a recipe for risotto that uses cream cheese as a main ingredient, one can only surmise that the person lacks even the faintest idea of what a true risotto is.

Any BT's reading this thread can chime in.

So I think it's a combination - frum don't have the ability to sample foods in restaurants and therefore don't have the opportunity to have their culinary tastes expanded - fall in love with a cuisines or a dish and then want to replicate it at home.

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:42 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't know who "we" are.

In general most people aren't interested in spending time in exploring new recipes and foods.

It takes time and interest and a spirit of adventure to expand horizons.

I also think the frum community is probably particular insular in terms of its food tastes for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that it is completely limited in terms of being able to easily sample ethnic cuisines. I once directed a visitor to Los Angeles to what I think is the only kosher Thai restaurant in existence - I think she enjoyed it Smile Although some of the menu is more Asian than strictly Thai, I think quality of the dishes is somewhat more authentic (and delicious) than most kosher Chinese/Asian restaurants.

What passes for ethnic food served in kosher restaurants is for the most part laughable - equivalent to what people ate in the 1950's before more authentic food became available Very Happy When one reads a recipe for risotto that uses cream cheese as a main ingredient, one can only surmise that the person lacks even the faintest idea of what a true risotto is.

Any BT's reading this thread can chime in.

So I think it's a combination - frum don't have the ability to sample foods in restaurants and therefore don't have the opportunity to have their culinary tastes expanded - fall in love with a cuisines or a dish and then want to replicate it at home.

I think part of it is societal, at least in my circles. They don't want to eat something unless everyone else is eating it. They want to eat what great great zadie had at his shabbos table.

Sushi is now in most pizza stores. I ordered sushi and it came with ketchup! Spicy tuna is loaded with black pepper! Until it was ubiquitous, I couldn't even get my friends to try it. Now they like cooked rolls. Some of them have cream cheese and lox. Not kidding. It's tofu cheam cheese for Shabbos. Vegetables sushi is now a thing. You take beautiful vegetables and prepare it with rice loaded with sugar and salt. Wrap it with salty seaweed and throw coating on it and deep fry. Oy the poor vegetables.

More modem people are open to new ideas more than others in my experience.

Anyway, this is why on most Shabbosim, I cook two different Shabboses. One is traditional the other is usually some ethnic theme.

And that Thai restaurant you recommended in LA is amazing. Something we don't have in Rockland County. You know your restaurants.

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:45 am
yo'ma wrote:
Over here yuca is called mandioca. I always see it, but still have not bought it.

Do you want Abuelita's recipe? Yum

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 10:54 am
Squishy wrote:
I think part of it is societal, at least in my circles. They don't want to eat something unless everyone else is eating it. They want to eat what great great zadie had at his shabbos table.

Sushi is now in most pizza stores. I ordered sushi and it came with ketchup! Spicy tuna is loaded with black pepper! Until it was ubiquitous, I couldn't even get my friends to try it. Now they like cooked rolls. Some of them have cream cheese and lox. Not kidding. It's tofu cheam cheese for Shabbos. Vegetables sushi is now a thing. You take beautiful vegetables and prepare it with rice loaded with sugar and salt. Wrap it with salty seaweed and throw coating on it and deep fry. Oy the poor vegetables.

More modem people are open to new ideas more than others in my experience.

Anyway, this is why on most Shabbosim, I cook two different Shabboses. One is traditional the other is usually some ethnic theme.

And that Thai restaurant you recommended in LA is amazing. Something we don't have in Rockland County. You know your restaurants.

I read "we" as most people in mainland USA. Most people in the USA don't each breadfruit. Why? Availability and marketing as a start.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:05 am
shyshira wrote:
I read "we" as most people in mainland USA. Most people in the USA don't each breadfruit. Why? Availability and marketing as a start.

Believe it or not, the breadfruit tree is the most abundant fruit tree and depending on ripeness, it's versatile as a fruit or a veggie. It may be that lots of people buy it but I don't notice it in kosher stores.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:32 am
southernbubby wrote:
Believe it or not, the breadfruit tree is the most abundant fruit tree and depending on ripeness, it's versatile as a fruit or a veggie. It may be that lots of people buy it but I don't notice it in kosher stores.

I'm familiar with breadfruit. Its certainly not the most abundant fruit tree in the US. Perhaps if the popular kosher cookbooks start producing recipes for it - there will be sufficient demand for the kosher stores to carry it.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:41 am
shyshira wrote:
I'm familiar with breadfruit. Its certainly not the most abundant fruit tree in the US. Perhaps if the popular kosher cookbooks start producing recipes for it - there will be sufficient demand for the kosher stores to carry it.

It's an imported fruit but in the winter, all produce is imported, albeit some is from warmer states.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 11:58 am
southernbubby wrote:
It's an imported fruit but in the winter, all produce is imported, albeit some is from warmer states.

The apples available in the winter are locally grown apples for the most part (if you in a location that has apple orchards). Greenhouses also can run 4 seasons.

Breadfruit hasn't gained popularity in the US in general - so its not super surprising to me that its not in kosher grocery stores.

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 2:43 pm
shyshira wrote:
The apples available in the winter are locally grown apples for the most part (if you in a location that has apple orchards). Greenhouses also can run 4 seasons.

Breadfruit hasn't gained popularity in the US in general - so its not super surprising to me that its not in kosher grocery stores.

Apples get picked their regular season. They are put in CA rooms. These are sealed controlled atmosphere rooms. The oxygen is pumped out to 1%. The temperature is brought to 1° Celsius. Then they seal the rooms up further. When they open a room, the fruit tastes like it is just picked. They open rooms all year round.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 2:46 pm
Squishy wrote:
Apples get picked their regular season. They are put in CA rooms. These are sealed controlled atmosphere rooms. The oxygen is pumped out to 1%. The temperature is brought to 1° Celsius. Then they seal the rooms up further. When they open a room, the fruit tastes like it is just picked. They open rooms all year round.

Yes I know, thanks.

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 2:47 pm
ez-pass wrote:
Yuca is delicious. My kids love it. Just peel it, throw it in the food precessor till ground and fry into patties or lay very very thin in tray and bake with some oil. It's actually great for someone who has allergies to eggs or potatoes and can use for latkes.
Plantains I just bake till soft. Yummm

I tried your baking method. High heat and PAM delicious.

Some things like empanadas need to be fried. I don't like them baked, but maybe I could try with PAM.

nylon

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 5:58 pm
Some things don't ship well sadly. Or they are very expensive. Like passion fruit. They're $2 each or more. I see recipes from Aus/NZ where they are common and cheap, but not at that price. (There is frozen pulp available but I don't know if there is a kosher one.) And the mangoes we get are not nearly as good as when you get them somewhere tropical.

I like to buy produce at Asian markets. The quality and price are excellent and they have many vegetables I never see elsewhere. Lots of greens.

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 6:02 pm
shyshira wrote:
Yes I know, thanks.

You mentioned 4 season green houses. Apples are grown in orchids. They are not grown in green houses for mass consumption. Green houses let light in. Apples are put to sleep so to speak. There is no light in CA rooms.

shyshira

Post Wed, Jul 10 2019, 7:02 pm
Squishy wrote:
You mentioned 4 season green houses. Apples are grown in orchids. They are not grown in green houses for mass consumption. Green houses let light in. Apples are put to sleep so to speak. There is no light in CA rooms.

In response to a comment that all produce sold in the winter is imported I made two separate comments. (1) Apples eaten during the winter are grown locally (2) We have greenhouses.

I'm aware apples are grown in orchards, I mentioned it in my post.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics