Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
How do I reconfig my computer?

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 2:44 am
my computer is getting slower by the day. I need to wait a few minutes ot open a browser, min or maximize a window. its getting ridiculous. even just sending an email is heck. someone recomended I reconfig the comp. how do I do that? any other suggestions.

su7kids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:22 am
This week I was having problem,s too, so I went to defrag and disk clean up.

You open "my computer" and right click on the c drive, and I think you look up "properties", and under the graph, it says "disk cleanup" and there are other tabs which take you to "defrag".

It takes a while, but its well worth it.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 10:38 am
I had that and we considered relacig the computer! Then, withumopr suggested I download (free) ccleaner, and it's like Disc Cleanup went to college. The first tim it took 2 hours, but now I run it twice a week and it takes just seconds.

Bored

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 11:02 am
what is defrag? I dont get that option

su7kids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 11:14 am
Bored wrote:
what is defrag? I dont get that option

Whate version of Windows are you running?

In mine it is when you click on my computer, RIGHT click on properties of your C drive, and then click on TOOLS, "Defragment now" is the 2nd option.

Basically, what it means is that, when you save something onto your computer, the hard drive, which is spinning, just stops where it is is and saves the document there.

Next time you save, same thing.

So, you have pieces of saved information "all over" your hard drive. To defragment, means that the system moves those files closer together so the "free space" is more "inline", and when you are looking to open a document or something, it doesn't have to look through the whole hard drive, just the part where the files are.

Its kinda like letting a group of kids run wild in the park, and then asking them all to go into the sandbox and then you only have to look in the sandbox for them, rather than the whole park. But you have to gather them, one by one and put them into the sandbox before you can focus ONLY on the sandbox.

(Wow, what an analogy, where did THAT come from? but its not bad! LOL)

Bored

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 11:23 am
found it, thanx!

so I t wont do a/th I dont want to my drive, rt

su7kids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 11:28 am
it won't hurt it, it will help it.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 3:42 pm
thanks all for your advice. turns out, when I returned to my computer this afternoon, my virus from last week returned. so I had a computer guy come and take my comp and he will wipe it out totally and redo it. Crying Crying Crying Crying so for now he was nice enough to lend me an extra laptop of his to use until he fixed my computer (bec he isn;'t a comp guy by profession anymore and has very little time).

Bored

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 3:48 pm
doing that restarted my computer for me in the middle, now im scared to finish. is taht normal?

su7kids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 3:54 pm
I think restarting might be part of the process.
Just run it again.

I also found that I had to swtich OFF the screen saver, etc, because it would start all over again each time.

Bored

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 4:36 pm
why is it part of the process? how often will it do it? are you sure this is something safe to do?

su7kids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 4:37 pm
completely safe.
100% safe.

Bored

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 4:39 pm
thanks Smile

will it shut down the computer again?

su7kids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 4:39 pm
dunno.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics