Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Is it normal for a lot of kids to be tutored
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:52 am
I noticed in a certain elementary school in the lower elementary school a lot of the kids get tutored during school hours. I don't know about the upper grades so pretend that you were basing it purely on the lower grades. I was wondering if there was normal percentage? is it due to title 1, no child left behind policies... don't know if it's private pay or offered by the school or government. Would you care if looking in to the school? pro or con? consider more then a certain percentage a red flag? why or why not? Let's just say this is for curiosity sake Smile

small bean

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:59 am
It is not normal. Either the classroom is not designed to work with kids of all learning styles and abilities or the class size is to big. I wouldn't like my kids getting pulled out and a school that has a high percentage of kids getting pulled out is probably not open to working with parents as a team.

behappy2

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:05 am
I would ask around from the parents in the school. It could be a plus. In younger grades it's really hard to teach a large class and have everyone up to speed.If kids fall behind in basic subjects it can be very difficult later on.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:07 am
I'm pretty sure it's arranged through the school. Even staff kids get it. What percentage would you consider too high? My a lot might be different then yours. Like what percent would you think is normal to get resource room?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:46 am
I don't like it. I think it's wrong. Teach so children don't need tutors. Title I funding from the federal government has normalized this.

behappy2

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:19 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
I don't like it. I think it's wrong. Teach so children don't need tutors. Title I funding from the federal government has normalized this.

Have you ever taught?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:31 am
behappy2 wrote:
Have you ever taught?

Great response!!!!!! (I'm a teacher)

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:35 am
My kids are in a school that's known for being very academic. But a large percentage are taken out of class to be tutored and at least half of each class takes modified tests. When I complained once about the high level of teaching, the answer was that I should appreciate that this school has so much help for the kids who need it. My answer was that the kids don't actually need it, it's the school that's creating the problem.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's arranged through the school. Even staff kids get it. What percentage would you consider too high? My a lot might be different then yours. Like what percent would you think is normal to get resource room?

Do you work in the school? How do you know they are tutors?

In my school, students get pulled out for private OR and speech therapy.

I think, as a teacher, that in a class of 24 students, 3-5 grade, around 4-6 might qualify fur title I, 1-2 might have IEP and private tutor (probably overlapping the title1). 1-2 for speech or OT.

In younger grades, K-2, I can't tell you about tutoring, but there is MUCH more speech and OT intervening, both by the school's therapists and by private/insurance.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:37 am
And maybe you are lucky and the school is fortunate to have an enrichment program!!!I

Why don't you ask principals what you are seeing?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:50 am
If you're comparing to when you were a kid, a much higher percentage of kids recieve services in general.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:54 am
op here- so based on the responses here it seems to be not so unusual. interesting...

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:15 pm
Title 1 will pull out the weakest kids from the class. I don't consider this tutoring just giving everyone more attention by dividing class into groups and being able to teach more directly.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 1:24 pm
My kids OOT school has an abnormal amount of students being tutored. From a class of about 20 there were I believe 5 kids pulled out for Title I and then 5 or 6 more pulled out with an assistant.
I think the school has a high turnover of staff and an English principal that is not very hands on. So the teachers are not teaching to the abilities of the classroom as they should.
I think it's become a huge problem in jewish schools because students from all academic levels are in the same classroom whereas in a non Jewish private school or even public school kids are on more of the same socioeconomic level, which very often translates into academic level.
Also Jewish schools feel a need to push and push their students even when a majority are not up to such a level.
(I personally work in a school, so yes I feel I have a pretty accurate viewpoint)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 2:23 pm
in the Jewish world socioeconomic level doesn't necessary translate into academic ability. A rebbe doesn't get paid a lot but kids will likely be very smart

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:06 pm
In a public school you definitely have children of all academic abilities in the classroom. Depending on the educational trend, there might be heterogeneous or homogeneous grouping going on. Alas, the trend now is for heterogeneous grouping with the teacher being expected to "differentiate" by constantly pulling small groups for instruction while the rest of the class supposedly does meaningful independent work. Barely any whole group instruction or modeling. So this model might work for middle school and up, but it is ineffective in elementary. I personally can't wait for this trend to be over. Since test scores have been rapidly dropping since it's been implemented, I'm hopeful.
My preference is homogeneous grouping, where the teacher can pull a few kids as needed for support, but since there is less of a range, the whole group instruction and guided practice is meaningful for all.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:09 pm
how will a frum school, especially OOT how is it possible to do homogeneous grouping?
There's also the issue of kids feeling left out, that they are in the "stupid" track. I'm not calling anyone stupid, just saying how it can feel for kids. I'm not sure if tracking is better or worse...

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
how will a frum school, especially OOT how is it possible to do homogeneous grouping?
There's also the issue of kids feeling left out, that they are in the "stupid" track. I'm not calling anyone stupid, just saying how it can feel for kids. I'm not sure if tracking is better or worse...

If there's only one class per grade, that makes things challenging. Otherwise I don't see what's so complicated about tracking. In elementary school the kids are more likely to consider them the "easy class" vs the "hard class." I have no problem with my kids being tracked since I believe they all learn better that way. Isn't that the point?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 3:16 pm
I don't think it's called tracking since they are in the same class. E.g. in first grade, my kids had different reading groups (I think 4), and they rotated between centers, with one of the slots to read to the teacher and that's where similar aptitude came in. No one felt better or worse since everyone was doing the same thing, just some groups were reading Hop on Pop or whatever to the teacher while others were reading Frog and Toad and working on reading comprehension...

Then of course there were kids who needed remedial, but that's going to happen no matter what educational method is used. But there are other kids who get called out for speech/OT (like a different poster pointed out)...and perhaps enrichment. I don't think it's always such a big issue if done properly.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 5:40 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
My kids OOT school has an abnormal amount of students being tutored. From a class of about 20 there were I believe 5 kids pulled out for Title I and then 5 or 6 more pulled out with an assistant.
I think the school has a high turnover of staff and an English principal that is not very hands on. So the teachers are not teaching to the abilities of the classroom as they should.
I think it's become a huge problem in jewish schools because students from all academic levels are in the same classroom whereas in a non Jewish private school or even public school kids are on more of the same socioeconomic level, which very often translates into academic level.
Also Jewish schools feel a need to push and push their students even when a majority are not up to such a level.
(I personally work in a school, so yes I feel I have a pretty accurate viewpoint)

Title 1 is not tutoring. They test all kids and then the weakest will come out regardless Of level. This is great for students and teachers. It sounds like you are talking about reading groups which is fantastic that your kids school are able to have resources to divide class into groups when teaching something do vital. The resource room is usually one on one and the kids are usually missing stuff in class that are deemed 'not as important' like science or social studies so that they can have more time to cover basics like math and reading. If they are pulling many kids out in this capacity I would have a problem. If they are pulling kids out and essentially teaching the same thing just in smaller groups it is a great opportunity.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics