Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Stein Yeshiva Yonkers Info
1  2  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 8:10 pm
My friend's son has been expelled from his regular cheder and pretty much Stein yeshiva appears to be the only option in the middle of the year. We've heard some very concerning information about it, but have also heard good feedback so would like to get some more information if anyone has it before enrolling? TIA

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 10:18 pm
Are you referring to R Shmuel Zalmen Stein's mesifta ih Lakewood?

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:08 pm
amother wrote:
Are you referring to R Shmuel Zalmen Stein's mesifta ih Lakewood?

I'm talking about Stein Yeshiva in Yonkers. Just clarified that in my post. Thanks!

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:09 pm
Are you talking about stein yeshiva in Yonkers?
It's a very modern school.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:12 pm
amother wrote:
Are you talking about stein yeshiva in Yonkers?
It's a very modern school.

Ok. What do you mean by modern? How is the curriculum? Are the teachers accountable? Where do kids go after they age out? How is the staff? Etc.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Feb 26 2019, 11:42 pm
It's a very small school. So small that they often merge grades together into one class because there aren't enough children in each grade. The staff is friendly. My brother went there for nursery and came home asking what sxy means. Apparently a seventh grade boy had been calling people sxy...
He changed schools the next year.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:40 am
I don't have any recent information, but from years ago, I know of a child who had a similar experience learning inappropriate material from peers. The hanhala at that time was not particularly helpful, I don't know who runs the school now.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Feb 27 2019, 11:44 am
They are geared for children that need smaller settings. They also accept everyone that enrolls. That potentially gives you a crowd that you may not agree with hashkafically. That's my basic information about Stein Yeshiva in Yonkers.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 12:33 am
Bump

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 8:59 am
I'm the OP and my friend sent her son there and he is very happy there. He has adhd that she does not want to medicate but seems to be thriving there and happy to go to school. Friend says it is very expensive though. I'm not sure about the quality of the academics.

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:23 am
Would she be willing to speak with me?
It's my only option besides homeschooling at this point.
I know most kids are from Monsey.
I have lots of questions that can't be asked through imamother.
Thank you

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 9:57 am
So interesting that you refer to it as very expensive. In my community, it is viewed as the inexpensive alternative to SAR. I know of people who send and they are happy, but do veiw as a more bare bones, as they are not paying the same premium. They are ok with getting less because that know they are paying less.

I guess it all depends on what you are comparing and why.

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:00 am
What ages are the children you know that go there?
Preschool or elementary?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:02 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
So interesting that you refer to it as very expensive. In my community, it is viewed as the inexpensive alternative to SAR. I know of people who send and they are happy, but do veiw as a more bare bones, as they are not paying the same premium. They are ok with getting less because that know they are paying less.

Well, its costing her 24k annually with transportation v. 2,400 in Monsey. Very few frum schools are worth the $30-45k

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:06 am
What age is her son?
Im not anonymous.
If you can please PM me Id really appreciate it.
Thank you

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:15 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Well, its costing her 24k annually with transportation v. 2,400 in Monsey. Very few frum schools are worth the $30-45k

Unless I have the wrong school, and I don't know her transportation costs, per their website it is <10K per kid plus about another 1K per family for building fund/dinner.
SAR is ~25K/kid

No idea how Monsey pays their teachers (and building and gas/electric, curriculum/supplies .....) on 2.4K per kid

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:16 am
Unless I have the wrong school, and I don't know her transportation costs, per their website it is <10K per kid plus about another 1K per family for building fund/dinner.
SAR is ~25K/kid

No idea how Monsey pays their teachers (and building and gas/electric, curriculum/supplies .....) on 2.4K per kid

She was not quoted the price on the website. She is pay $1,500 per month and $500 for transportation. The school is very into money. But like I said she is happy there and her son seems to be thriving.

Monsey chedarim pay from donors.

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:21 am
If that's the price I wouldn't consider it.
Can you please pm me or ask you friend to contact me?
It's urgent.
Thank you

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 10:59 am

I’m also in a community that sends to SAR, and the less expensive alternatives are considered to be WTA and WDS. Stein is the school you send to when there's no other options.

Sorry, Violet.

Violet123

Post Sun, Jul 21 2019, 11:02 am
Thank you very much.
My options at this point is public school or homeschool.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics