Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
When can I stop waking him up at night??

zoom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:45 pm
hi
my son is 5 and has been wearing pull ups till now for bed. theyr usually wet in the morning-not loads but still wet. I know hes crazy overdue to be trained.
it was just his birthday and we discussed he will wear pants at night. for the past few nights weve been waking him up before we go to bed to go to toilet and he has been dry in the morning that way.
when can I stop doing this and when would he be dry the whole night? how long does it take fr them to realise to wake up themselves and go to toilet? dont want to keep waking him up at night.
thanks.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:49 pm
It's very normal for five year olds to not wake up on their own to use the bathroom at night. It's going to be trial and error for you to figure out if he still needs to be woken... If he does, it's just that his body isn't developmentally ready yet. Bribes don't usually work, since he can't exactly make the choice to wake up on his own if his body isn't waking him.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:51 pm
Where do you get the idea that he’s crazy overdue to be trained at night?

For boys, it’s considered normal to wet at night until 12 years old.

zoom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:56 pm
right. I understand its normal to wet the beds , just feel he should have been in pants a long time ago, even if he was wetting himself at night. I feel that putting him in a nappy was in a sense 'allowing him to be wet' because it was there.

zoom

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 3:58 pm
is there anyone who has used this method of waking kids up at night and can tell me how it worked to stop??

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:00 pm
I never wake/woke mine. She holds it in if she has to go overnight. Strong bladder

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:00 pm
There's a difference between bedwetting-kids who have great difficulty staying dry through the night (and it could last until puberty) and training a kid to be dry at night. It's wonderful that you wake him up once and he's dry in the morning. I'd keep doing (it's not so hard to take him right before you go to sleep yourself) for several months or until you see he gets up sometimes himself in middle of his sleep to go himself.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:02 pm
miz wrote:
is there anyone who has used this method of waking kids up at night and can tell me how it worked to stop??

I try waking my son at night and sometimes he is still wet in the morning...He knows not to drink too close to bedtime...it's hard he's a deep sleeper. I totally know wat you r going through.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:05 pm
Put a baby monitor in his room. As soon as you hear him start to sound fussy, that's his body telling him he needs the bathroom. Get him up, and then back to bed. Pretty soon you'll be working with his natural rhythm, and his body will catch on much faster.

If he is a super deep sleeper, it will take him longer to night train. If his bladder is immature, it will also take longer. There are things that neither you or he can do anything about. The only thing that will work is patience.

It's up to you if you want to get rid of the diapers. Just be aware that there will be times that you'll be doing extra laundry in the morning, and you'll need to put down double sheets and mattress protectors in case you need to change the bedding in the middle of the night.

I don't know if it will make a difference or not. My mom always said "Relax, I've never seen anyone go under the chuppah in diapers." Night training is one of those things that just has to happen on it's own.

ETA: If he gets a fever or has bad nightmares, don't be surprised if he wets even though he's been dry for months on end. Don't make a big deal about it, just say "Oh well, everybody has little accidents sometimes. It's OK!" and then carry on like it didn't happen.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:08 pm
As long as you keep waking him at night, his body won't adapt to staying dry through the night. It may take afew nights for the body adapt & he'll either learn to sleep through the night without needing to pee, or wake up on his own to go to the bathroom.
And he shouldn't be drinking too close to bedtime.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:15 pm
My 6 year old is still in pull ups & wakes up soaked. Limiting water, waking him at night etc. doesn’t help.

My 4 year old also is in pull ups, but is dry 99% of the time without being woken up or limiting water.

There’s no way to make it happen. When the body is ready it will be ready. (Our doctor said until 9 -depends on bladder size & strength.)

Try one night not to wake him & see what happens. If he’s wet it means he’s not ready & u should continue waking him.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:17 pm
What worked for us:
1. Obligatory pee right before bed
2. No water bottle in bed. I leave water on his dresser (not near his bed) and he knows he can drink from it whenever. He rarely does.

The first few weeks, we woke him to pee. Then we forgot... And he was dry. We still have had the occasional accident, but it's usually linked somehow to us going away from home.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 4:18 pm
Amother coffee, trying for just one night is not enough. You need to give it at least a week for the body to adapt, even if it means waking up soaked every night. And as long as the child is wearing a pullup, he knows he has that security. You can't know if maybe the child does wake up but just pee's in his pullup because he's lazy to get out of bed.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 7:25 pm
I understand your frustration. I am struggles with a 4.5 and 7 year old. I am waking them up for months and if I forget or wake them up late, they are wet.
I think the key is to make them learn to hold it in so that's why waking up doesn't help. I think limiting drinks is the best but I don't have the heart for it. My kids drink as much as they need at supper but nothing at bedtime.
You can buy a device that sounds an alarm when they are peeing. I did it for two weeks but my child slept through it...Maybe if I would stick with it, it would work. It is supposed to take 2 months.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Jul 24 2019, 9:32 pm
I've trained all my kids night and day same time. Hashem helps. Basically as I was training them, I talked it into them that big boys/girls make in the toilet. Then, I would take them once at night. I would listen for crying in bed or kvetching or moving around a lot and take them at that time. I feel like its genetic. Some kids get it and some kids it takes much longer. One kid, drank tons. He did have a couple of soaker accidents. But, with time I decreased drinks closer to bedtime. This child at 3.5 doesn't sleep through night and wakes up at random times. First time, I take him to the bathroom. After that, I need to encourage him to go back to his bed and he waits until morning. I understand some people really struggle with this. All my kids were toiled trained by 2.7 months and they only wore diapers at night for about 3 nights after ward.

shanarishona

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 1:11 am
My ped said there’s no point in parents waking kids. It doesn’t help their bodies to get biologically ready. They’re ready when they’re ready. Nothing wrong with pull ups at 5 or 6.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 3:19 pm
I use cloth trainers for overnight with a bamboo cotton terry inside fabric. This way my son feels wet if he uses them just like with underwear but his bed and pajamas stay dry. Anon for my son's sake even though he is still little.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:28 pm
I was in exactly the same situation. 5 year old boy in pull ups. Only difference was that he did wake up soaked. But I came to realise that he's getting lazy and reliant e.g. he wouldn't bother going to the toilet before bedtime because he anyway has pull up and also drank loads.

The first thing I stopped was the drinking right before bedtime as well as enforcing toilet before bedtime.

I then did do like you. Wake up my child every night around midnight before I went to sleep. He quickly got used to it and b.h was dry straight away.

After about 2 months I stopped taking him to toilet at night. I saw he was getting more aware and sometimes going himself in the night or not needing when I took him and I was ready for the risk.
B.h so far only 2 accidents in 6 weeks and he just got up and sorted himself out on his own.

I guess everyone must know the r child and see what feels right for them.

For me waking at night was the right thing for my son.
his is what I did with my other 2 children as well but they were younger.
Good luck

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:29 pm
Just to add. He wanted to be trained...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training