Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
London mothers: sent your kids to school?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:22 am
Hi fellow imamothers! My kids came home from school yesterday claiming many girls will not be coming to school today because of the weather. 39° is too dangerous!!! Wondering if mothers really kept their kids home today?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:28 am
I took my kids to school. The classrooms weren't empty

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:40 am
My children's school cancelled school today. (it was supposed to be the last day of school, so they finished yesterday instead)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 5:56 am
Oh! I thought all the schools finish the end of next week! What school or area are you?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 6:39 am
I'm in antwerp and daycamp finished yesterday at 2 instead of 430. Today is normal times but they took them ice-skating. Its 40 degrees today

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 6:50 am
Lol. The rest of the world doesn't stop when they have high temps.

Aylat

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:30 am
There was a heatwave 2 weeks ago in Israel, temperatures of 40+. Kaytana went ahead as usual but they altered the program and outdoor activities were cancelled or moved to before 10am.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:33 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Lol. The rest of the world doesn't stop when they have high temps.

actually hot countries have 2 months off in the summer. Only in the UK is school still open. Almost every other country in Europe doesn't have school in July. I remember the sweltering days in school as a kid in London in July. I don't think we actually got any work done...and then when school was out in August the temperatures were often lower then July. Confused

Also, other countries have a lot more air conditioning.

chocolate fondue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 7:48 am
Raisin wrote:
actually hot countries have 2 months off in the summer. Only in the UK is school still open. Almost every other country in Europe doesn't have school in July. I remember the sweltering days in school as a kid in London in July. I don't think we actually got any work done...and then when school was out in August the temperatures were often lower then July. Confused

Also, other countries have a lot more air conditioning.

Exactly. My kids school, which is the same one that Raisin went to, does not have air conditioning. If it did, my kids would be better off in school.

We had speech day (prize giving) yesterday for the Senior Girls School. The announcement that got the biggest applause was when the headmaster said he will try to finish as quickly as possible. That hall was So. HOT.

naomi2

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:27 am
No AC???

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 9:15 am
naomi2 wrote:
No AC???

schools in the UK dont usually hav air conditioning. There are few days that would warrant the use of ac, so schools dont have ac. Neither do private homes. I heard of maybe a handful of people in my home city in the UK who have ac. All very wealthy people with huge houses. Thats it.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:45 am
chocolate fondue wrote:
Exactly. My kids school, which is the same one that Raisin went to, does not have air conditioning. If it did, my kids would be better off in school.

We had speech day (prize giving) yesterday for the Senior Girls School. The announcement that got the biggest applause was when the headmaster said he will try to finish as quickly as possible. That hall was So. HOT.

My kids go to the same school, but we live quite a distance away. My kids have an hour's journey on a bus with no aircon or fans, it is too dangerous for the kids to sit like that, no matter how much I remind them to drink. The last 2 days they finished school early so less traffic and less sitting on the bus, and today school was cancelled and they're now finished for the year. I'm not upset Smile

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 4:51 pm
Actually, many many homes have installed AC in the past few years and so have many schools. Our boys and girls school have AC in all classrooms, and we just moved OOT and the school here has AC too. Prior to our move we had AC but alas, now we don't. My kids were seriously better off in school today.

Gerbera

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 8:01 pm
naomi2 wrote:
No AC???

My son's school doesn't have AC either and I'm in Toronto. It's very uncomfortable in June and September but otherwise manageable. Saves them a lot of money!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:57 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:

Hi guys,

Another graduate of that school here Hi

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 5:53 am
Happy memories of speech night. (why did they move it to daytime? It used to be at night which is usually a bit cooler!)

My parents actually have a few air conditioning units.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 10:27 am
My relatives in London definitely have air conditioning. For more than 20 years...

And I once went to school in London for a day just for fun, in July. But I don't think it was very hot. I remember they had an art trip and we went to see paintings in a mansion on an old estate. Not something you get in the US Smile.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics