Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can everyone earn a high salary?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:22 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
The problem is that many rabbonim don't consider that when giving you a heter or lack thereof for bc.

Ahh, the gift of (secondary) infertility!!!
I am saying that tongue in cheek. It stinks and I am mocking the silver lining. I wish I needed to pay more tuition.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:33 pm
It's up to Hashem. When I was divorced I dated different professionals. After Alimony and child support, some of the men were barely making ends meet. Man plans and G-d laughs.
I also know of divorce cases that wiped out a family's savings.

aricelli

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:41 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Any practice I have ever spoken to only wants help during the after-school hours which means that my kids would be on their own! That's completely not an option. I need to pick my kids up from school and take them home.

I always took my son for private pay PT/OT during school hours. My child really needed it and it was worth going to these wonderful therapists during the day. I paid 150 a session.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:46 pm
As a community, we value tzedaka and the more children the better. BH the school systems are thriving and 99% of kids have a school. There are rare cases where the system fails, like every system. But I think Imamother is overly pessimistic. Schools struggle but ultimately yiddishe kinderlach are given a solid Jewish education for the most part.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:47 pm
mig100 wrote:
yeah all this talk about "simple lifestyle" and not keeping up with johnses is really sounding trite to me.

lets do some math. tuition 13k per kid *7 kids=91k (after taxes)

and many schools charge more and 7 is not an unussually huge family.

as if people go to work so they can go on vacation or buy sheitels?

as if cutting out $2500 vacation suddenly makes tuition affordable??

as if the reason cant pay tuition is because they spent an extra $10 a week on paper goods??

cutting these expenses out-doesnt give you a drop in the budget.

im confused What What What

THIS. This. This.

And let's not even talk about the summer.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:51 pm
Disclaimer: I am a SAHM and sometimes a very part time WAHM.

I don't think that both parents have to be white collar professionals in order to afford tuition and all the other costs of living a frum lifestyle. It helps if one parent is earning more than $100K and the other parent has a more flexible job so they can save on childcare. It's basic economics. You have to earn more than you spend and if your expenses are too high then you either have to earn more or cut costs or both.

I unfortunately have medical issues that make it difficult to work but I was fortunate enough to come into the marriage with family investments that we keep investing the profits so I "earn" the equivalent of a moderate salary while staying home with the kids so we don't have childcare costs. I'm hoping to go back to work once my youngest is in school full time. We also didn't have kids immediately and saved a lot of money by only renting a studio apartment for the first couple of years we were married. We're never going to have a large family either due to fertility issues so we know we can afford tuition for the children that we do have.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:53 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Disclaimer: I am a SAHM and sometimes a very part time WAHM.

I don't think that both parents have to be white collar professionals in order to afford tuition and all the other costs of living a frum lifestyle. It helps if one parent is earning more than $100K and the other parent has a more flexible job so they can save on childcare. It's basic economics. You have to earn more than you spend and if your expenses are too high then you either have to earn more or cut costs or both.

I unfortunately have medical issues that make it difficult to work but I was fortunate enough to come into the marriage with family investments that we keep investing the profits so I "earn" the equivalent of a moderate salary while staying home with the kids so we don't have childcare costs. I'm hoping to go back to work once my youngest is in school full time. We also didn't have kids immediately and saved a lot of money by only renting a studio apartment for the first couple of years we were married. We're never going to have a large family either due to fertility issues so we know we can afford tuition for the children that we do have.

Stop at the disclaimer.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 1:56 pm
The answer to your question is, of course not.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 2:44 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Noone said it's easy.
People with well paid jobs usually worked their tooches off to get there.
Is it expected? Well depends on the kind of life you wanna live. You wanna keep up with the Cohen's? Then yes you'll have to work hard. You're fine with a simple lifestyle? Then you don't.

With all due respect, you are wrong. Poor ppl also work their tuches off"" many times working 3 jobs. Its not your hard work, but hashem!!

Op, as long as u do hishtadlus, whether or not someone will make a lot more $, is up to hashem. 2 accountants, one got rich clients the other didnt and gets a "poor" salary. So too, some lawyers cant get into big firms others can. While skills are important, hashem is who is making one lawyer to have "better skills at getting more rich clients"!!

And many ppl move ahead with connections which is hashem who connected mr smith with those ppl bec He wants him to make a lot of money but not mr gold!!!

So, op EVERYONE CAN MAKE A LOT OF MONEY BUT ONLY IF HASHEM WANTS!! ITS UP TO HASHEM!(and of course thats assuming the person did hishtadlus).

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 3:17 pm
Worked hg in healthcare makes 62k with a masters? Thats surprising. A np or pa are masters degree in healthcare and those jobs def make 100k+ if you work full time. In the tri-state area nurses make about 80k with a bachelor's or less. Many proffesional jobs like a lawyer, an accountant, a doctor can make alot of money but you need to play it right. There are plenty of women who are accountants who prioritize flexible hours or work part time and will never make more than 40k.

mommish613

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 4:15 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I think that if youre desperate enough and willing to go to the end of the earth, itll happen for u!

Yes and no. Mazel plays a huge factor- just because you WANT something doesn’t mean you’ll get it. Some people just don’t have the “right” talent, brains, good ideas etc to make it. There is a G-d- it’s not just hishtadlus.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 4:40 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Worked hg in healthcare makes 62k with a masters? Thats surprising. A np or pa are masters degree in healthcare and those jobs def make 100k+ if you work full time. In the tri-state area nurses make about 80k with a bachelor's or less.

Yeah, but you forgot about Social Workers and Dietitians.
Important members of the health care team, but typically forgotten and vastly underpaid.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:09 pm
aricelli wrote:
I always took my son for private pay PT/OT during school hours. My child really needed it and it was worth going to these wonderful therapists during the day. I paid 150 a session.

That's a true where you live but not where I live. Usually they have enough people to cover the daytime hours and they don't want your help with those times.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:18 pm
Not everyone can make a very high salary. But the right schooling and preparation can help most people make at least a decent salary.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:19 pm
What do you consider decent?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:19 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Not everyone can make a very high salary. But the right schooling and preparation can help most people make at least a decent salary.

The definition of "decent" seems to vary greatly.

What would you call a "decent" salary?

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 5:22 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Please realize that in private practice, you have a few challenges that personally don't work for me.
1) you need to find your own clients-a business skill they don't teach in heath care, and if you don't fill spots you are not working.
2) most private clients want appointments after work or after school. That is when I personally want to be home with my kids.
3) if a person doesn't show, then do you take a loss for your time or bill them? I struggle with that because I hear people's reasons and I feel bad.

4)Most of all, I have an issue, and I know it is my issue and I probably need therapy 😉, with charging large amounts for health care services. I went into the field to help people. I am happy to negotiate rates with insurance companies and I believe that I provide a wonderful service and do it well and should be compensated for it, but I have a very hard time with charging a person to help them with their health, because if I can help I should. To me the line with chessed really is blurred when I'm charging the person privately. I would do very well with the barter system. I help you with this, you help my son with Gemara, you are a great baker and bring me cake and challah for Shabbos.....

Please, please, pleases do not CVS think that I am not approving/judging..... or anything else negative for those who are in health care and a rightful so, payed for the wonderful services they provide. You pursued and education, work hard, and take time away from your families. It is MY issue.

Right - so all I was saying was that as an OT a person can earn more than what is paid for working in a school. When a person chooses not to - its a self-imposed limitation - and that's fine, totally fine.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:09 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Right - so all I was saying was that as an OT a person can earn more than what is paid for working in a school. When a person chooses not to - its a self-imposed limitation - and that's fine, totally fine.

There are really no easy ways to make big bucks as an OT in many places. Signed, an OT with a private practice who earns a pathetic income because this is the reality where I live.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:24 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
There are really no easy ways to make big bucks as an OT in many places. Signed, an OT with a private practice who earns a pathetic income because this is the reality where I live.

I didn't say 'big bucks'.

My point was just that as an OT there are ways to make a living beyond working in a school environment. Meaning the income potential of an OT is more than whatever that poster stated was what she could earn working at at school.

momsrus

Post Tue, Jul 30 2019, 6:31 pm
Take everything here with a huge grain of salt.

Someone here was told to quit here job because she wasn’t invited on a boat trip and she loved her job.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics