Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Advice on hosting

bigbird

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:42 pm
We will be hosting some guests (couple and 2 kids) for about 10 days shortly and I need some advice. I've never had guests before so I'd like to know how to prepare. Besides for the obvious - beds etc., what should I have in the house - foodwise, bathroomwise etc? I don't need to impress - this is my cousin and we're good friends. I just want to make sure they're comfortable and have what they need. So to all you experienced hostesses out there - can you advise?? Thanks!

jba

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:46 pm
Ask if her kids like any specific foods. I also try to have nice or new toiletries in the bathrroom. You can put away your half used bottles and use them again after they leave. Obviously it's not a hotel, but it's a nice touch. And have extra tooth brushes! People always forget theirs.

Hannah!

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:50 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Tehilla

Post Mon, Nov 19 2007, 10:53 pm
One of the things my guests have commented on (and I myself appreciated by others):

1. Put an unopened gallon of water with some disposable cups in the bedroom.

2. Tissue box. Small trash can. Kosher Shabbos lamp.

3. Towels & washcloths for each person with shampoo and a bar of soap.
The easiest thing to do here is to buy those mini-bottles of stuff and as someone else suggested just use the remains of shampoo, or body wash. It's not so expensive and a really nice touch.

Even if you don't do anything "extra" you already sound like a considerate host from asking!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Nov 20 2007, 6:38 am
When I've stayed at people's homes, I've also been made very comfortable by the hosts respecting my privacy, and they would or they'd make their children ask my permission to go into the room to get something (ie. it was achild's room and they wanted their big bird slippers...etc). Of course, I would say yes, and I wouldn't feel upset if they went in when I wasn't in there to get their stuff, but asking somehow added an extra measure of comfort while travelling. It's so hard to have privacy while travelling so maybe that's why it was nice to have some.

Also, just paying attention and chatting. I know she's a cousin and there for 10 days so this isn't like a shabbos guest, but the one time I've felt really unwelcome was when a hostess barely even spoke to me and when my 2 yr old would go to talk to her she would run away. I know she offerred to help bc I had gotten hurt and it was yom tov, but I really would have rather struggled alone at home while dh was at shul all day than felt unwelcome at someone else's house.

bigbird

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 4:10 am
Thank you e/o! This is just what I was looking for Very Happy

Ima'la

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:08 am
Quote:
(ie. it was achild's room and they wanted their big bird slippers...etc).

What made you think of this example, davka? Very Happy

ny21

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:29 am
I like tehillas ideas

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 2:57 pm
tell them where everything is and keep goodies people usually like around so they can snack without rummaging thru your entire kitchen.

keep lots of tissues in the bathroom and cleanliness is very important so some guests..

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:04 pm
great ideas here...

It's also nice to keep a bowl of fruit on the table or kitchen counter so there's always something healthy to munch on or grab on their way out the door.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Nov 21 2007, 7:55 pm
MommyLuv wrote:
great ideas here...

It's also nice to keep a bowl of fruit on the table or kitchen counter so there's always something healthy to munch on or grab on their way out the door.

Yes, I like to keep out a large bowl of assorted fruit too, plus some cake or cookies and coffee/ tea items. Even if you tell people to make themselves at home and help themselves to anything they want - not everybody feels comfortable rifling through the fridge and cupboard to find something. This way they know there is always something to grab and they don't need to be shy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics