Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is bedroom furniture a must?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:54 am

Something like this? Would this be enough for a master? Kids room with two kids?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:55 am
To elaborate further, for me, shelves with bins wouldn't work, it would get too messy. Also, shelves can be pretty deep, you would have to get deep enough bins if you want to maximize space. For me, maximizing space was a priority.
I have pretty standard sizes closets, not a walk in. I don't have 2 kids (yet), but I have extra room in my second room that I use for my extras. It's not a must, though. (Actually for the long hanging space maybe it is. But you don't need that long hanging space for kids stuff. So h may want to keep dh suits or your dresses there. Although there is room for suits on the other side, the one that's has 2 racks, because the longer one is made to hold suits... I'm rambling Smile)

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would anyone be brave enough to post a pic of their closets in their kids room that are working for you😬 it would be so helpful. Just wondering if my rooms are big enough for the size closets necessary for such a setup.

I got in in ikea, so I can post a pic of what I got If it helps.
Re the size of the rooms, I actually have pretty small rooms which is why I need to maximize the space

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 9:58 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
no it's not. I prefer the clean empty look. I have one bed and one dresser/nightstand per room. I have closets that are not huge but enough space for hanging and shelves for folded things. not sure size of closets.

Me too! I love the look. All the decluttering is good for the mind Smile

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:00 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
I got in in ikea, so I can post a pic of what I got If it helps.
Re the size of the rooms, I actually have pretty small rooms which is why I need to maximize the space

That would be amazing! Thanks so much for your input!

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Something like this? Would this be enough for a master? Kids room with two kids?

It's like this except drawers)shelves are way bigger, which means less hanging space on one side, and on the side is the long hanging soace(as opposed to equal amounts of hanging space.). Also the hanging space you posted seems to be equal amts top and bottom. You want it to be different, bottom longer skirts & shirts and top for shorter items and pants etc.. or vice versa (the measurements should be app 35 and app 40 inches each

srbmom

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:24 am
I think that picture would be fine for 2 kids, but for a master bedroom I don't think it's enough. Maybe if you had his and hers. I would need at least that much drawer/shelf space just for myself.
Also agree with poster above that you need hanging space for longer items

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:28 am
Yes we have just closets (large, with lots of drawers and shelving). We have only a night table.
I love it. Clean, neat, spacious.

Edited to add that our closets are double or triple the picture you posted (but I do have a lot of stuff and could cut down. I have to Marie Kondo Wink )

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:33 am
srbmom wrote:
I think that picture would be fine for 2 kids, but for a master bedroom I don't think it's enough. Maybe if you had his and hers. I would need at least that much drawer/shelf space just for myself.
Also agree with poster above that you need hanging space for longer items

I'm the poster above and I agree about the drawers, which is why I my drawers/shelves are bigger. I also have more drawers(6). They are pretty big!! (I have the 29" pax ones I think)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! Does anyone have a setup with no furniture other than beds, night table? Meaning just closets no dressers for storage? It wouldn’t be walk in, just reg closets built in to the room.. can this work for a master? Kids room for two kids?

I have this for my kids rooms. For mine, we have one small dresser and lots of shelf's on the closet. Dh customized the closets according to our needs. Our closets are standard size

ETA the picture you posted would be fine for kids. For master you need more. (Mine is a walk in)

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No. You need more. I have double that for me and DH each with much higher shelves.

You need a place for sheitals, hats, snoods, rain bonnets, fashion jewelry, and other accessories. You also need a place to hang long dresses and suits. A retractable pole for your outfit of the day is very helpful.

We have a similar setup in the kids rooms. They have dressers.

We also have additional closets for hats, shoes, coats.

We don't like the look of dressers either.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 10:57 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
No. You need more. I have double that for me and DH each with much higher shelves.

You need a place for sheitals, hats, snoods, rain bonnets, fashion jewelry, and other accessories. You also need a place to hang long dresses and suits. A retractable pole for your outfit of the day is very helpful.

We have a similar setup in the kids rooms. They have dressers.

We also have additional closets for hats, shoes, coats.

We don't like the look of dressers either.

so are you saying this also would not be enough foe a kids room?

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 11:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
so are you saying this also would not be enough foe a kids room?

My kids each have an additional armoire besides a similar type closet. We have closets for shoes, coats, hats outside of their room.

I suppose it depends on the age of the kids, but mine have suits, uniforms, shells, tights, socks. Don't forget the older kids need a higher poll for jackets and robes.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 31 2019, 12:00 pm
We used to keep just a cabinet in the bedroom, and we'd sleep on camping mats which we'd roll up in the morning. I loved the simple, open use of the room when we did that. We finally got a bed when I had my daughter, since I was spending far more time in bed than cleaning up at that point - but I'd like to go back to that, someday.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics