Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Siyum Hashas - Will kids be able to attend?

UQT

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 9:55 pm
Tickets will be going on sale tomorrow. My husband is b'h finishing and we're very excited for everyone to join in. We asked my sons Mesivta principal and was told that he will not be allowed to attend as it takes place at 1:00 in the afternoon. This would mean he would need to take a full day off and they wont allow it. Now I'm wondering if my HS daughter will be excused and if it will be OK to pull out my elementary school kids.

What do you think the schools will do?

Kumphort

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:00 pm
It’s on New Years Jan 1. Many schools may have a half day at least
I’m suprised your son’s mesivtA is giving an issue. This is a momentous occasion and I would pull my son out to go. I did buy a ticket for my son who is in high school without even questioning it.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:01 pm
Don't know but I bought tickets for my 12 grade son and son in bais medrash ( who is in yeshiva in lakewood ).
If they can't go we will sell the tickets.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:03 pm
I'm surprised they wouldn't allow it. It's a siyum, not a baseball game. It's not bitul Torah. That said, it's being held in January in an outdoor arena. I wouldn't send young children to shiver in the cold listening to long speeches.

DH is going with other members of our shul and the adult male members of his family. I'm keeping the kids home, but we'll be making our own siyum indoors for the larger family to attend at a more convenient day and time. Maybe by the time the next siyum comes around our kids will be old enough to appreciate being at the actual siyum. That will be 7.5 years later and in the summer.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:19 pm
My ds's mesiva sent out an email stating that although the yeshiva isn't taking the boys, parents are more than welcome to take their kids to the siyum.

UQT

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 10:30 pm
Interesting, for those who have kids in a Lakewood mesivta - ask before you spend the money. If anyone knows if Lakewood girls HS, which will not be having a half a day will be letting the girls go please post.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:14 pm
Am I the only one who is terrified? I think it is just such a major major target. Hundreds of thousands of Jews in one place!

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:35 pm
Regarding the cold, the stadium will be domed.
Regarding security, tickets are being issued in individual people's names. Background checks are being done.

Jewishfoodie

Post Sun, Aug 18 2019, 11:39 pm
Outside? In January? Interesting choice but I believe the date was picked because so many men are off then. You can always sell your tickets if the school creates a new rule tho. So many people want tickets in the last minute. It's a beautiful sight to behold!

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:31 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Regarding the cold, the stadium will be domed.
Regarding security, tickets are being issued in individual people's names. Background checks are being done.

Not according to Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....esign

Unlike a number of other new NFL venues, MetLife Stadium does not have a roof, as proposals to include a roof failed, over a dispute for funding.[16] Thus, indoor events such as the Final Four cannot be held at the facility, which runs counter to the original aims for a new arena in northern New Jersey.[17]

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 12:55 am
UQT wrote:
Interesting, for those who have kids in a Lakewood mesivta - ask before you spend the money. If anyone knows if Lakewood girls HS, which will not be having a half a day will be letting the girls go please post.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the change their mind later on. It’s happened with other things in the past.

cbsp

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 1:10 am
Jewishfoodie wrote:
Outside? In January? Interesting choice but I believe the date was picked because so many men are off then. You can always sell your tickets if the school creates a new rule tho. So many people want tickets in the last minute. It's a beautiful sight to behold!

The date was picked because there weren't any games scheduled for that day. And the actual siyum is a few days later.

The cold is a concern and they did try to find another venue(s) but still this seemed to be the best. They're looking into options to make it more comfortable and safe (they don't want anyone getting sick on account of the cold). It's never too early to start davening for nice weather...

We purchased tickets for our kids - DH is a misayaym and we feel it's important that the family as a whole gets to witness the massive Kiddush HaShem. Just hearing shema and answering amen to kaddish in such a large crowd...

DS7 has been participating in the masmidei hasiyum program via his yeshiva, so I'm not anticipating a huge battle in taking him out to attend.

DS5 is only starting pre-1a this year - we mentioned the siyum at his interview.

DD9 will be attending as well, b'ezras Hashem - she gets a share in supporting her Totty's learning...

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 19 2019, 3:08 am
I went several years ago, when it was held in Madison Square Garden. There was so much overflow, that they had to open up several extra venues to hold everyone. It was a beautiful experience (but there were times when it was so powerful I thought that we were going to bring the whole place down!)

When the entire stadium said "Shema Isroel" I cried. There are no words for how amazing it felt.

I have mixed feelings about the tickets. When I went the siyum was the hottest ticket in town. Frum men were begging on street corners for someone to sell them a ticket, and nobody else could get in for any amount of money. It was too precious a chance to sell you ticket to someone else. So many people wanted in but couldn't make it because they missed the ticket deadline and it sold out within hours. If there are men who have completed shas, then they should be the ones filling those seats. (Even the entire women's section was completely sold out.)

On the other hand, I think the event would make a HUGE impression on your children, one that they will never forget.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics