Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Baby growing out of the doona!!!
Previous  1  2  3

watergirl

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:16 am
Truth is, as far as the baby is concerned, leaving a baby in ANY infant carrier longer than you need to - ie, when not in a CAR, is now recognized as a danger to the baby. I am guilty of using the snap and go and leaving my sleeping baby in the car seat until the baby woke up. Now the American Academy of Pediatrics has said not to do this, and explained why. If I had a baby now, I would 100% be more vigilant about this. Yes, its annoying to take a baby out of the car seat and put them into a regular seated position in a stroller, especially if the baby is asleep. But knowing the risks now, I would rather not take the chance.

https://www.today.com/health/c.....54353

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:55 am
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
I was referring to the ladies of Williamsburg.
They all had bugaboos but borrowed old car seats to take baby home from hospital. Nobody used a car seat on a steady basis. Think a snapngo to walk down lee avenue on errands. Now, every other person is pushing a doona. Am I really supposed to believe it’s because of safety? No. It’s becsuse they must have a doona as it’s the latest thing. No need to have a $500 car seat to take with you on errands or to wait at bus stop. Especially when you don’t even have a car! For their needs a regular stroller is much better for baby...

A Snap N Go at least has a basket. I really cannot see how it's practical to use this for all the errands and shopping the women are doing.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 9:13 am
What's up with this discussion about the ladies in Williamsburg. I don't see how it's appropriate or helpful to discuss whether they have reason enough to use it or not.
For me, I live in the suburbs and drive everywhere. The Doona was the best invention for me.

Raisin

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 9:27 am
watergirl wrote:
Truth is, as far as the baby is concerned, leaving a baby in ANY infant carrier longer than you need to - ie, when not in a CAR, is now recognized as a danger to the baby. I am guilty of using the snap and go and leaving my sleeping baby in the car seat until the baby woke up. Now the American Academy of Pediatrics has said not to do this, and explained why. If I had a baby now, I would 100% be more vigilant about this. Yes, its annoying to take a baby out of the car seat and put them into a regular seated position in a stroller, especially if the baby is asleep. But knowing the risks now, I would rather not take the chance.

https://www.today.com/health/c.....54353

This was something I heard about at least 17 years ago.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 10:26 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
The Williamsburg ladies wouldn't be caught dead pushing a snap n go or a travel system chas veshalom. So don't tell me they suddenly care about safety after all these years of not having a car seat. They care about making a fashion statement and being in style.

You gotta stop making generalizations here about Williamsburg women. Yes, many do as you say and as a person living in Williamsburg I agree that it’s a fashion statement too. But not all are like that! None of my friends use a doona. They have maclaren/ bugaboo bee etc. actually I know of 1 person who uses it out of 15 ppl I personally know with babies.
And you think ladies in Boro park don’t use doona? And not all drive!!!
regarding the refusal to use a travel system, well I find it ugly as hell. Dunno their reasons and it doesn’t matter to me. I’m not a yenta as you are and I’m not pushing my nose into their business. I do me.
as I posted earlier, I plan to get the doona in addition to a regular stroller since we have a car and travel often. My children are older and I have ZERO for this baby travel wise, so instead of buying a car seat plus travel stroller/graco frame which also comes out to be an expense, I’m getting this instead.
And no, I won’t be using this to parade around town in style as you claim, not because of judgmental ppl like you, but because I know it’s not healthy for baby to sit in that position for so long.
Your post reeks of judgmental sarcasm and I don’t appreciate it.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 10:45 am
Amother Rose, I'm also from Williamsburg and I don't think I'm judgemental or sarcastic. This is my true observation in Williamsburg. I didn't say ALL women are like that, but more women than it makes sense use a doona as a regular stroller. I find it odd to use a car seat as a stroller for the sake of fashion. It just looks weird weird walking down Lee Avenue and so many women pushing a car seat. In Boro Park you see plenty of women pushing a snap n go.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:27 am

I can not for the life of mine understand why so many Williamsburg and Boro park people have a doona, they don't even have a car!

I don't own a Doona but because I don't have a car either, I probably would buy a Doona by the time my next child comes around.
If you own a car, the car seat is installed and you can easily move your child in and out, even using a snap-n-go and then clicking the car seat back on the base already installed in the car. When you have no car, you need to shlep a car seat everywhere and believe me, when you have a diaper bag and a toddler in addition to the baby, it's much easier to stick the Doona in the taxi than it is to start taking apart strollers and folding bases.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 11:39 am
Amother Rose, I'm also from Williamsburg and I don't think I'm judgemental or sarcastic. This is my true observation in Williamsburg. I didn't say ALL women are like that, but more women than it makes sense use a doona as a regular stroller. I find it odd to use a car seat as a stroller for the sake of fashion. It just looks weird weird walking down Lee Avenue and so many women pushing a car seat. In Boro Park you see plenty of women pushing a snap n go.

I found you judgemental since you posted as THEY. As if it’s a community thing.
I agree with you about the fashion statement etc but it’s not EVERYONE. and I also wouldn’t use it instead of a stroller so it seems you n I have common sense. I just feel it would be better had you not written it the way you did previously,

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 12:01 pm
I had guests on Shabbos with a 6 month old in a doona. I really felt so bad for the baby. There is no riding in a car and the baby should be given room to stretch and move.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics