Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Anyone get tired of fleishigs and do milchig meals ?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

nylon

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 8:55 pm
Yes, I do regularly and on regular Shabbatot as well. Sometimes I take advantage of having a dairy meal to have a fancy dairy dessert, too.

I usually do Rosh Hashana lunch, at least on the first day, dairy. It's already relatively late when we get back from shul and I know I'm going to have another heavy meal that evening. I'd rather have a lighter lunch and then a nap.

What I had explained to me is that it's not required to have meat on Shabbat/YT. It's about what gives you pleasure. Back when meat was a rarity, having it for Shabbat became synonymous with the pleasure of the day.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:04 pm
We almost always do half meat meals and half dairy meals. DH would far rather eat soup and a pasta dish than any piece of meat. I usually do meat lunches and dairy dinners because we just can't eat heavy meat meals so late at night. I do serve fish as an option for the dairy meals.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:37 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Decided to do one dairy meal this yom tov . Is it really so bad ? I know "ain simcha ele em basar" but at 10pm??
I enjoy dairy so much more , especially at night . I bought Belgian waffles, cheese blintzes, and bagels and probably cost the same much as we spend on meat but here it will take me 5 minutes to put together .

No time to read the thread but not bad at all. Husband from a very yeshivish family and they would do a nice fish meal all the time.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:51 pm
I almost did but dh wouldn't hear of it. For the night meals simcha torah I warmed up everything but then we decided to skip the rest after the soup. It definitely isn't a mitzvah to stuff yourself. It was 1130 at night! How can anyone eat much of anything at that point after practically eating nonstop is beyond me.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 9:54 pm
I do dairy all the time for shabbos and YT.
This yontif I made salmon wellington, and a brie and camembert 'wellington' with apricot jam. It was yum but not low cal.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 10:04 pm
We don’t even eat dairy for a regular weeknight meal. Shabuous and 9 days are the only exceptions

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Oct 22 2019, 11:51 pm
I WISH I could do this, but DH is adamant that it's against halacha.

Does anyone have a source for milchigs being acceptable for yom tov/shabbos? I'd love to see one.

I remember that when I was single, I spend sukkos in Israel and the hotel had a "dairy buffet" on simchas torah - highlight of the yom tov!!!

Hashemlovesme1

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:05 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I WISH I could do this, but DH is adamant that it's against halacha.

Does anyone have a source for milchigs being acceptable for yom tov/shabbos? I'd love to see one

I just asked my husband. He said it’s from the shaagas Aryeh (I don’t know exact page,etc) who said that we have meat for Simchas yom tov almost as a replacement for the korbanos.
Since we did the korbanos only during the day, he says that the meat requirement is only for day meals, and night meals can be dairy!

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:27 am
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I do dairy all the time for shabbos and YT.
This yontif I made salmon wellington, and a brie and camembert 'wellington' with apricot jam. It was yum but not low cal.

Can you post the recipe for the cheese dish?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 12:55 am
We are chassidush/Hungarian and both our families are very into minhagim and therefore would never consider doing milchig on shabbos or Yom Tov-except shavuos
Wondering if any chasidish people here do eat milchigs and is it something they saw at home or just decided to do because they were sick of meat

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 1:11 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
We are chassidush/Hungarian and both our families are very into minhagim and therefore would never consider doing milchig on shabbos or Yom Tov-except shavuos
Wondering if any chasidish people here do eat milchigs and is it something they saw at home or just decided to do because they were sick of meat

Unheard of where I come from.... not that I think it should stop anyone but definitely warn guests if you’re having ppl over

DVOM

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 8:06 am
When we make Yom Tov we split evenly dairy and meat meals. One meal is usually scrambled eggs and pancakes. Another is fish or soup and pizza for the kids. My husband and I love having lighter meals to break up the heavy, fancy meat meals. We've been away a lot over this month of yommim tovim and had only one dairy meal (mushroom quiche, garlic bread, mac and cheese, mini pizzas-- my kids were in cheese heaven!). We were just saying as we drove home last night that we miss our really simple dairy meals. It works better for us.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 9:00 am
[quote="amother [ Chocolate ]"]We are chassidush/Hungarian and both our families are very into minhagim and therefore would never consider doing milchig on shabbos or Yom Tov-except shavuos
Wondering if any chasidish people here do eat milchigs and is it something they saw at home or just decided to do because they were sick of meat[/quote

My family only does meat meals based on the passuk “Basar vdagim vchol mataamim”.

My in laws only do meat meals as well, besides for shavous night - they do a dairy meal .

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 10:17 am
We had meat meals for all the meals, but I usually serve meat Wednesday night, tonight. Tonight I'm serving milichig Wink .

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 2:12 pm
We love meat

yamz

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 2:47 pm
For those of you who do make dairy and pareve meals on Shabbos and/or Yom Tov, what do you make? I would love some ideas!

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 23 2019, 4:52 pm
yamz wrote:
For those of you who do make dairy and pareve meals on Shabbos and/or Yom Tov, what do you make? I would love some ideas!

Zillions of options:

- Salmon with thyme and white wine or dill and cream
- Lasagne or other pasta dishes (sun dried tomatoes, artichokes, spinach, pine nuts, and Parmesean is very yummy).
- Indian food (chicken pea stew, potato and cauliflower curry, basmati rice, raita, naan)
- Thai curried tofu with basil
- Greek salad
- Hearty vegetable or Lentil soups
- Roasted vegetables
- Stuffed squash

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 10:00 pm
I love meat. Usually men love meat. It’s also a Mitzvah to have fleishig on shabbos

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Dec 16 2021, 9:20 am
I've never been a big fan of fleishik. We always do at least one pareve or milchik meal on YT because four fleishik holiday meals in a row is just too much for me. I'm not an especially creative or fancy cook, hate potchkereye, so it's usually salmon, sometimes a different kind of fish as well, and the kind of side dish and dessert we normally have on a YT. And ice cream and coffee for dessert, because we can.

we have fleishik on a weeknight is if there are leftovers from Shabbes, but I never cook a fleishik meal for a weeknight. G-d bless my dh, who is a meat-lover but doesn't complain about the lack of bovine flesh in our diet. Once or twice a year, when he feels unbearable cravings, he'll go to the takeout place and buy himself a burger or shwarma or something.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 8:31 pm
I can;t imagine having both milchig and fleishig things out over yomtov
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics