Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sleep training a 5 month old

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:07 am
Has anyone sleep trained a 5 month old? My baby was born curious and since she was little she has to be actively put to sleep which can take a long time. She usually doesn't stay down for long so the whole thing is very frustrating. She won't take a pacifier or bottle, she only nurses.
The youngest I've done the cry it out method with was 9 months so this is very young.
Any tips?

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:13 am
You need to start with getting her to fall asleep on her own without nursing. (Which is a bit difficult without a paci.) I would still keep trying to give a pacifier so when she wakes up at night you give a pacifier instead of a feeding.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:18 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
You need to start with getting her to fall asleep on her own without nursing. (Which is a bit difficult without a paci.) I would still keep trying to give a pacifier so when she wakes up at night you give a pacifier instead of a feeding.

I tried everything!! Every type of pacifier. And I still try sometimes but she really doesn't know what to do with it. She's not my first to not take one so I literally tried already in the hospital. When she wakes up in the middle of the night she's not interested in anything and just screams until I put her on. She doesn't want to wake up but doesn't know how to go back to sleep herself.

amother
White

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 9:30 am
5 months is a perfect age. We did Ferber. Brutal but worth it. We had to repeat it several times as she got older (teething was a long hard phase) but I recommend looking into it

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:50 am
I like the book “ the happy sleeper” for sleep training

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 11:54 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
5 months is a perfect age. We did Ferber. Brutal but worth it. We had to repeat it several times as she got older (teething was a long hard phase) but I recommend looking into it

How do you let a 5 month old cry themselves to sleep? 9 months was hard enough! She's so little!
How long did it take?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics