Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Ridiculous ads - post 'em here
Previous  1  2

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:29 am
Ruchel wrote:
We don't receive our money from people who think we need it for survival.

You think that the parents who pay for their kids in kollel to go on such vacations aren't aware that they are going on vacation with that money?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:49 am
mimivan wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
I said before that I agree with Motek on the issue in general, but I still think that a couple who are both spending their time making great efforts in learning/ supporting that learning need a vacation much more than a couple who are pretty much on vacation the whole year.

That is so not nice...It is forbidden to embarrassed embarrass someone...

It takes more than that to embarrass me Mimi Smile
You know, I went to school until 7 months pregnant, and only stopped on doc order, so yeah. She's totally off the mark, and it's not the first time.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:51 am
suomynona wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
Oh, and I don't call preg and post partum vacation. It is extremely hard and I would rather work or learn, in fact. At least it doesn't hurt or make you exhausted.

Just for the record, the people in kollel have babies too.

I hope so.
But it's their choice to have a hard lifestyle. If they suffer, I really hope the husbands go to work.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 4:52 am
suomynona wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
We don't receive our money from people who think we need it for survival.

You think that the parents who pay for their kids in kollel to go on such vacations aren't aware that they are going on vacation with that money?

If they are aware, I really hope these same kollel people don't talk badly about university going people.

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:37 am
Ruchel, if someone is giving a couple money, it becomes "theirs" to do what they want with it. They can dig a hole in the ground for their grandchildren to find if they choose to do that.

Quote:
Oh, and I don't call preg and post partum vacation. It is extremely hard and I would rather work or learn, in fact. At least it doesn't hurt or make you exhausted.

It's definitely harder to travel than to stay in bed all day, if you're saying you need a vacation from that.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 8:50 am
If people knew the family doesn't need foor or house but uses the money for a luxury vacation, they would never give to begin with.

Quote:

It's definitely harder to travel than to stay in bed all day, if you're saying you need a vacation from that.

When I stayed in bed all day, I was in such a state that I couldn't do anything else, since I'm the type of person who needs to go out a lot. I don't need vacation to rest, this I can do at home, but because I'm bored of the things around here and want to do other stuff. B'h I am (I think) strong enough to travel now.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 9:11 am
Quote:
I don't need vacation to rest, this I can do at home, but because I'm bored of the things around here and want to do other stuff.

Wow, good for you!! Very Happy
Most (if not all) people need a vacation because they are overworked, not underworked and bored!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 9:30 am
amother wrote:
Quote:
I don't need vacation to rest, this I can do at home, but because I'm bored of the things around here and want to do other stuff.

Wow, good for you!! Very Happy
Most (if not all) people need a vacation because they are overworked, not underworked and bored!

My mom (works a LOT) does things like that, in summer.
First vacation: she stays home and rests.
Second vacation: foreign country or some place she likes, to see other things, not to rest.

I don't know how common it is, but I often hear people complaining they are back from vacation but as tired as before, or worse. It's hard to rest on a vacatin (unless you stay home) because of all the stimulation and new things around.

suomynona

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 10:05 am
Ruchel wrote:
I don't know how common it is, but I often hear people complaining they are back from vacation but as tired as before, or worse. It's hard to rest on a vacatin (unless you stay home) because of all the stimulation and new things around.

When I take a day or 2 off from work, all I want to do is chill out. I'm not interested in going on any major trips. Maybe small ones. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but it's just such a treat for me to have a day off with no obligations. Last time I took a day off, we just ran a few errands, took a trip to the park and pizza shop... heaven!

I see this thread went way off topic Smile

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 10:23 am
of course, when you take a few days it's to rest up. Here we have 5 weeks of paid leave. If you take out what is needed for religion reasons, at least 3 weeks to do what you want.

Totally off topic, indeed. LOL

chen

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 10:50 am
Bein Hazmanim can apply to families whose sons are in yeshiva as well as to kollel families.

However, I find advertising to frum people any kind of luxury--and using the word "luxury" as a positive thing-- to be distasteful. It's not just the vacations (Pesach in Las Vegas or Aruba, for goodness' sake--don't get me started), but the jewels, the furs, the cars, and all other overblown, overdone, overornamented excess that appears on the pages of frum publications. Seems to me the mitzvos lo saasei given to a melech--not to acquire too much gold and too many horses--have a lesson to us ordinary citizens as well. "hatznea leches" doesn't just mean covering up your naughty parts.

Signed,
Wouldn't wear a mink bathrobe if you gave it to me for free

technic

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 11:00 am
chen wrote:

Signed,
Wouldn't wear a mink bathrobe if you gave it to me for free

ill pm u my address if anyone DOES...keep me posted!!! Tongue Out

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 11:03 am
When I see the difference in price between Pessach cruise/hotel and non Pessach, I definitely don't see the need to go at that moment precisely. My cousins can spend almost 10 000 dollars (50 000 francs) BY PERSON for a Pessach thing and when they come back, they say the food "s*cked bad". AAAAARGH.

In fact I prefer non kosher cruise/hotel and bring my own stuff. Less expensive and kosher food on cruises is not necessarily great anyway. I'm willing to pay, but only when it's not ganef business Confused

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 18 2007, 11:05 am
do people still wear (real) fur? I hardly see it... I think my mom owns a few items, not even sure because it doesn't leave the closet.

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 2:00 pm
chen wrote:
"hatznea leches" doesn't just mean covering up your naughty parts.

it actually doesn't mean it at all

Motek

Post Wed, Jun 20 2007, 2:02 pm
another ridiculous ad that I've seen in a frum publication is one which says:

WANT TO IMPRESS YOUR CAMPERS?

it's an ad to sell shmunces and tchatchkes

What I find ridiculous is since when do those running a camp want to impress their campers? Has the world gone crazy? (yes)

Give the campers a good time, a summer they'll remember fondly, etc. but impress them?!

Motek

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 4:58 pm
(in a frum publication) Why should you make your wedding in this particular hall? Because:

"If your image is important ..."

you will

Puke

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Dec 04 2007, 6:07 pm
ew....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics