Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Uh oh, dead dough...

Gsanmb

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 8:48 pm
Agh, I just did (by hand! what a workout!) a whole batch of challah dough. Let it rise, or so I thought, took challah with a bracha.

Then I started to divide and shape and realized the dough is dead as a doornail. It didn't really rise. It puffed a little but the dough is completely unworkable.

Now what? I took with a bracha! Crying Can I just throw out the dough? Do I still burn the part I took? Did I make a bracha (what's the word? l'vatla? in vain?)

MahPitom

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 8:54 pm
I would allow it to rise, doesn’t matter if it takes all night.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 9:04 pm
your yeast must've been no good ... can you get some fresh yeast and add it ... hm ... or start over ...

sorry not sure about the brocha ... but you didn't mean it in vain ...

Squash

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 9:11 pm
I'm pretty sure the brocha was NOT l'vatala, as it was still enough dough (doesn't matter whether or not it rose, it depends on how much flour you used).

try to let it rise some more. once braided, put it in the oven on 250 for 20-40 minutes and let it rise in there before turning up to 350 and baking.

I've had some pleasant surprises with 'dead dough'.

good luck.

boruchhashem

Post Thu, Dec 06 2007, 10:32 pm
Or worse comes to worse, make challa napkin rings for shabbos. You could also make some doughnuts, maybe.

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 12:43 am
Brush with an egg wash and sprinkle with kosher/coarse salt and you have pretzels!

Or brush with an egg wash and sprinkle minced garlic/garlic powder and basil and you have garlic bread.

Gsanmb

Post Fri, Dec 07 2007, 6:31 am
well I let it rise all night...nothing.

Now it's kind of grainy and course looking, ick, unfortunately I think this is for the trash. My rav said to burn the kezayis anyway since I made the brocha.

He also said to just put two batches together under the same towel to rise, and then I can take challah with a bracha from the combined amount. I didn't ask him quite how much flour I need though, I'll have to do that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads