Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to take care of curly hair

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:10 pm
Both my kids have really curly hair, taking after their mother. Unfortunately, their mother never figured out how to take care of her own hair! I spent years upon years with curly, messy, impossible hair. When I was in shidduchim, I finally learned how to straighten it half-decently, but until then, it was a disaster.

What should I do with my kids' hair? One of them will have an upsherin soon, but the other one is a girl. I try moussing it after a bath, but then they sleep on it and it doesn't seem to help at all the next morning... I also can't make a neat, non-bumpy pony or half-pony with all the curls!

flmommy

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:12 pm
Spray it with water in the am and brush it out while wet if need be. Should look good. Hard with cold weather but that’s the only way I know how to fix slept on curly hair.

missmuffetsmum

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:16 pm
Hence the reason I'm hoping my DD's hair grows in straight - she's 8mo atm.... The frizz!!!!! I also used to spray water on my head to brush it through in the morning, and I used to curl my pony in one direction and it eventually it learned to stay in that big curl for most of the day

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:21 pm
Only use wide tooth comb when wet. Never brush curly hair. Product is key. We love deva curl for our preschoolers curly hair.

Jewishfoodie

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:30 pm
There's a great leave in conditioner called "Its a 10 With Keratin" and you spray it on damp hair and comb it out. It's terrific!! Try it. Also has a great smell.

creditcards

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:37 pm
I spray a lot of water and put in a ton of mouse. I make a half poney and put a headband ontop the rubber or just a half poney. She looks good and no frizz if there is a lot of mouse or jell.
I put in mouse and in the morning before she goes to school. Every day again. Doesn't matter if she still has mouse in her hair from yesterday.

Last edited by creditcards on Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

agreer

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:38 pm
Super important - don't cut curly hair short for the girl! It needs length to weigh it down or else it will be a frizzy puffball. Only trim it till it's shoulder length - then you can put it into a ponytail.

Try leave-in conditioner after the bath to manage frizz.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 8:54 pm
agreer wrote:
Super important - don't cut curly hair short for the girl! It needs length to weigh it down or else it will be a frizzy puffball. Only trim it till it's shoulder length - then you can put it into a ponytail.

Try leave-in conditioner after the bath to manage frizz.

That much I know from my own traumatic experiences as a child! Smile

mommy24

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:10 pm
It took me a while, but I learned to try different products for her hair and see what works. Sometimes I stick with something for a while other times I mix it up.

Some items I use which have turned my daughter's frizzy curls to silky curls:

- a conditioner you leave in the hair for 3-5 minutes and rinse out. I got it in trader Joe's.
-its a 10 spray , but, not the keratin one that someone mentioned above. It's expensive but a little goes a long way, I spray in her hair after a bath and then comb with a thin baby comb to get out all knots. I never use a brush.
- antifrizz serums also do wonders, I have one from trader Joe's, another from fruictis. Both are good. U put a little bit after u have combed thru the hair.

The woman who cuts my daughter's hair said for curly hair water is the enemy. So don't wash it too often and don't spray with water . I used to spray with a mixture of water and conditioner every morning. But since I started using these products, it's really not necessary.

I wash her hair 3x per week. After bath time I give it enough time for her hair to dry naturally. She will not sleep with a pony or anything in her hair. If necessary in the morning, I will spray the it's a 10 product in her hair. But usually she doesn't need it anymore.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 9:31 pm
I wonder if you guys can with in on my girls situation. My girls had very thick nice curls, not very tight, as toddlers. At about age 5-6, their curls kind of fell. The texture stayed the same, and it's very very thick, but there are no defined curls or even waves but it's definitely not straight either. Very curly hair texture. Their hair is washed about 3-4 times a week and we only comb out the hair in the bath with conditioner. I wet a boar bristle brush, sometimes add mouse if very frizzy, and brush it into a pony in the mornings. It's very frustrating. It's very difficult hair to deal with, and there is no reward of beautiful curls. Any advice?

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 11:06 pm
- Only brush when wet
- Only brush from the bottom up - being very gentle. Untangle the ends, then the middle, then the roots rather than getting the comb stuck 20 times when you start from the roots and having your children scream, cry, and dread detangling.
- They should sleep with a HIGH pony or bun on top of the head.
- NEVER dry hair with a towel or a hairdryer. These create frizz. You can diffuse or use a tshirt of by special towels for curly hair.
- Look into the Curly Girl method - it literally saved my hair and it's SO easy! You can check out this thread https://www.imamother.com/foru.....70586 and ask me any questions you have.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics