Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you chose not to nurse after nursing in the past
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 10:05 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
My point was that "studies have shown" without bringing the literature which reviews those studies and gives the data about it are worthless.

The article that I quoted did not bring its sources, either, which to me means that it's about as valuable as the article you brought. It's interesting rhetoric until you show me the full scope of the studies, how many subjects there were, how long they were followed, the methods used, etc.

I'm in the math field. I know how statistics work. My point was that without a clear detail of the statistical methods used to draw those conclusions, that's about as scientific a paper as if I wrote it.

The "Slate" is not literature. The "Slate" is a site which claims to be a news site but in reality which has a very strong agenda. And even if it were not, these kinds of articles rarely show the full picture and they almost never accurately discuss the science in question. In this article, the author focuses on problems that need to be solved (BFing is indicative of higher SES, for example) but ignores much of the larger picture, including the difference between the two things she is comparing. All in all, not a very impressive article.

Again, you can look up in the footnotes all of the studies sourced in "my" link, their scope, methods, etc. They are much more scientific than what you brought - and I suspect, than what you could write.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Dec 29 2019, 11:58 pm
Please, let's not pretend that nursing has no benefits. It's sometimes contraindicated, true, as in the case of several scenarios mentioned upthread.

Does this study help you? https://www.thelancet.com/jour.....-6736(15)01024-7/fulltext - based on their analysis, over 800,000 babies' lives would be saved each year, and 20,000 deaths from breast cancer would be averted, if everyone who could breastfed.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 5:59 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Please, let's not pretend that nursing has no benefits. It's sometimes contraindicated, true, as in the case of several scenarios mentioned upthread.

Does this study help you? https://www.thelancet.com/jour.....-6736(15)01024-7/fulltext - based on their analysis, over 800,000 babies' lives would be saved each year, and 20,000 deaths from breast cancer would be averted, if everyone who could breastfed.

The argument wasn’t whether or not breast feeding has benefits, I think everyone agrees on that.
The debate was about the statement that formula feeding can be dangerous.

Refine

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 6:29 am
Either way those numbers are projected numbers based on mathematical equasions, they've never been proven in real life.
Many babies are readmitted to the hospital for dehydration because of exclusively nursing, so I'm sure if you make a similar model the other way you can prove the exact oposite.
That's probably what the op's husband meant that the science is evolving.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 8:53 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
The "Slate" is not literature. The "Slate" is a site which claims to be a news site but in reality which has a very strong agenda. And even if it were not, these kinds of articles rarely show the full picture and they almost never accurately discuss the science in question. In this article, the author focuses on problems that need to be solved (BFing is indicative of higher SES, for example) but ignores much of the larger picture, including the difference between the two things she is comparing. All in all, not a very impressive article.

Again, you can look up in the footnotes all of the studies sourced in "my" link, their scope, methods, etc. They are much more scientific than what you brought - and I suspect, than what you could write.

I read several of those links, and they specifically said that causation could not be determined based on the studies done. I will keep reading.

Amother Rose, that last hit was below the belt. Just know that I've written many academic papers in my life, as well as edited quite a few, and I know the difference between a properly-conducted study and a poorly-conducted one.

Honestly, I'm tired of this propaganda on a thread that was about the choice not to breastfeed. OP clearly didn't want to hear from posters like you, who can't see past the end of their own nose.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics