Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Costume help from Israeli imamothers

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:23 am
My daughter wants to dress up as those women in yerushalyim who wear burkas. Anyone know where I can get such clothing, including the black dress they wear underneath?
Someone told me they sew it up themselves. That would be a big job for me. If it can be gotten somewhere in yerushalyim, I have relatives there that will go buy it for me, but I need a specific store location...
Thanks

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:27 am
Why don’t you just buy a very big piece of heavy black fabric, cut out two little circles for eyes.
That’s what it seems like 5hey do anyway.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:38 am
I know someone who ordered burkas from AliExpress

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:42 am
I think there's a store on Meah Shearim that sells these articles but mostly, it's just very loosely fitted layers of black, gray, brown, and dark navy drapes that people sew up themselves. Just use a lot of fabric and some kind of easily sewn on closing contraption like velcro should be fine for a costume.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 9:48 am
The headpiece is specific. It is thick black lace over the face. They wear 3-4 skirts, black or navy, some floor length. A button down shirt that’s buttoned to the top (not necessary since it’s totally covered...) black loafers or sneakers.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:16 am
Iymnok wrote:
The headpiece is specific. It is thick black lace over the face. They wear 3-4 skirts, black or navy, some floor length. A button down shirt that’s buttoned to the top (not necessary since it’s totally covered...) black loafers or sneakers.

Right, so the under layers I think I can do just whatever we have in the closet. But the top layer/headpiece is what I am looking for, since that isn't really just a black sheet with 2 holes. That's just a black ghost. She wants that piece to look authentic.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:18 am
gingertop wrote:
I think there's a store on Meah Shearim that sells these articles but mostly, it's just very loosely fitted layers of black, gray, brown, and dark navy drapes that people sew up themselves. Just use a lot of fabric and some kind of easily sewn on closing contraption like velcro should be fine for a costume.

Would you know where on meah shearim it is? Between which 2 streets?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, so the under layers I think I can do just whatever we have in the closet. But the top layer/headpiece is what I am looking for, since that isn't really just a black sheet with 2 holes. That's just a black ghost. She wants that piece to look authentic.

When my friend got it for her DD, she had a friend who was friends with this group who borrowed it for her.

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you know where on meah shearim it is? Between which 2 streets?

Sorry I can't say exactly. I remember passing such a place and I'm not even sure if they have the full 9 yards but it looked like it was geared to these people. Going to waste some time on google maps now...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 10:57 am
Iymnok wrote:
When my friend got it for her DD, she had a friend who was friends with this group who borrowed it for her.

That would be a great idea except I don't live in Israel or anywhere near such people. Closest we have near us are Muslims. So if it doesn't cost a fortune I would buy just the top layer and figure out the rest of the layers

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:28 pm
Google maps was not so clear- but I think the store might be Ofanat Eden- Meah Shearim 7.

I'm actually friendly-ish with such a woman but I'm scared she'll be offended if I ask her. She's very sensitive. Maybe I'll ask her where she gets it but I definitely can't ask to borrow.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:31 pm
I dont think its overly sensitive if someone who wore this were offended at the idea of someone using their clothing style (much as I may vehemently disagree with it) as a costume.

I know its not the question but have to say I question whether its really in good taste

to me its a bit like dressing up as someone who is not all there mentally or is abused

anyway I wouldn't want to be seen as in any way shape or form possibly mocking a Jew no matter what they are wearing/community etc

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:31 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
I know someone who ordered burkas from AliExpress

so I just looked and there are tons of options!
Here's one aliexpress

gingertop

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I dont think its overly sensitive if someone who wore this were offended at the idea of someone using their clothing style (much as I may vehemently disagree with it) as a costume.

I know its not the question but have to say I question whether its really in good taste

to me its a bit like dressing up as someone who is not all there mentally or is abused

anyway I wouldn't want to be seen as in any way shape or form possibly mocking a Jew no matter what they are wearing/community etc

You're right that it is offensive to ask this of anyone just the one I know is so melancholy and sensitive, I go out of my way to be nice and have neutral, uncontroversial conversations with her and her kids. I don't mean that she is oversensitive, only that with anyone and especially her, I wouldn't feel comfortable making such a request.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:02 pm
gingertop wrote:
so I just looked and there are tons of options!
Here's one aliexpress

What do they do for the face?

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:07 pm
chanuka is barely over and you're already on Purim plans?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:10 pm
happyone wrote:
chanuka is barely over and you're already on Purim plans?

Hah! You think? My kids have been making plans since the summer, or maybe even since last purim was over. I've pushed then this long. They think im really late already. And I may be, if I need to order something from aliexpress. That's why I started making inquiries, so that if it takes time to get it, I still have time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:15 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:

I can see that they might take offense, but they won't even see us, we will be on another continent.
Besides, we don't mean to offend, we are trying to depict all kinds of Jews, each child choosing a different sect. I hope no one gets offended by that.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 30 2019, 3:36 pm
what sect are women wearing burkas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics