Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Yeshivish family moving to Boro Park; bad idea?
Previous  1  2

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:10 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
BP is such a mix and it’s a lot live and let live.
I think you’ll feel comfortable but don’t expect ultra friendliness here.
Everybody minds their own business mostly.

As someone who has lived in BP my whole life, but has family in other communities I'll have to agree with this. My family is a bit more Bais Yakovy than the chassidish families here. Out of the 3 families with kids her age in the building, only one seems to want to befirend her (which I think is because of this reason). We're lucky that there's another family about our type right across the street. My husband chose a small corner shul to daven in and he loves it.
Good luck with whatever you choose. I think if you're the type who respects other cultures, they'll respect you.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:14 am
Just throwing this out there, Lakewood has excellent special needs schools - SCHI and Center, but little funding for anything else. On the yeshivish side though you’re well covered Smile

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:15 am
Boro Park
Kensington
Flatbush

They could all work. You just need to find the right block in each of them. Regardless of neighborhood... You can just as well find a block in flatbush where you don't fit in. Or a block in BP where you do fit in.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have a distant relative living in Kensington and I've visited them a few times. I saw lots of non-Jews walking their dogs, and just a handful of Yidden. Anyone have any idea what the percentage of frum families is there? (This relative isn't frum.)

Flatbush I had this impression of it based on girls I knew in seminary, that it wouldn't be a good fit for us since we're more the simple type. Am I wrong about that? I've gone shopping there and it's seemed like a nice down to earth neighborhood, so I'm probably wrong thinking it's more fancy type.

I have such nice memories of going to Boro Park for shopping and restaurants when I was little! But it sounds like I should really cross it off my list. Thanks for the advice. It's so helpful!

In Kensington you have to check the actual block. A lot of them are mostly yidden but some didn’t take off as well

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 10:26 am
Btw- Flatbush has all types- it’s not only one kind there! But unless you know a few yeshivish families with kids in bp I don’t recommend living there since I do believe it would be hard for your kids.
I lived there when I was single. I’m yeshivish, went to Bais yaakov.. no one acknowledged me.

happyone

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 11:29 am
For those responding that BP is 99% Chassidish, do you live in Boro Park or is that an assumption. I moved from BP for better housing options and greenery, and have most of my family and friends there.( Most are not chassidish) I found BP a huge mix of people. I think you will feel very comfortable in BP and theres plenty of special ed services available .

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 11:58 am
I've lived in BP since I was a child and BP has become 95% chassidish.
The Litvish people are mostly older couples who bought in the 60s and 70s
when there was a more litvish crowd in BP.

I would recommend Kensington which borders on BP, Flatbush (Midwood)
or Bensonhurst.

My children did not have any friends on the block - although they had classmates
who lived nearby. The ladies were friendly to me but their kids were not friendly to mine. My kids live in Lakewood now.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Just throwing this out there, Lakewood has excellent special needs schools - SCHI and Center, but little funding for anything else. On the yeshivish side though you’re well covered Smile

Lakewood schools are great. But funding and resources are way less. And when get to adult age even less
I have a friend whose young husband needs a lot of care and the money and resources given in ny over Lakewood is way more.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:33 pm
Brooklyn has a ton of options for special ed services. There are also girls that take out the kids on Shabbos which is nice. Kensington and the outskirts of BP definitively have a mix-high fifties and high avenues.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 1:59 pm
The majority of people staying in Boro Park have a strong chasidish mesorah.

sub

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:14 pm
The yeshivish bais yakov crowd is coming from bensonhurst

artz

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:26 pm
I am the yeshivish type exactly how you described and I live in kensington. I would say that my block is more on the chassidish side the families are very nice but there is really no boys for my 7 year old to play with because most of the boys speak yiddish. Although the surrounding blocks have more kids that go to his yeshiva. It really goes by block in kensington. each block is a community in itself. but all together we are happy. You can PM me if you want

ectomorph

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:28 pm
artz wrote:
I am the yeshivish type exactly how you described and I live in kensington. I would say that my block is more on the chassidish side the families are very nice but there is really no boys for my 7 year old to play with because most of the boys speak yiddish. Although the surrounding blocks have more kids that go to his yeshiva. It really goes by block in kensington. each block is a community in itself. but all together we are happy. You can PM me if you want

I would be looking into educational choices. Do you have any experience with the special schools. Do u know who to talk to who sends from kensington

artz

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:29 pm
I am familiar the special needs world

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Jan 06 2020, 2:32 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I would be looking into educational choices. Do you have any experience with the special schools. Do u know who to talk to who sends from kensington

For schools most from bp have transportation from Kensington to.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries