Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Waking every 2 hrs

Seraph

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 2:27 pm
Ok, let me preempt this by saying- I'm against crying it out. I don't have a problem with co-sleeping. More natural parenting minded person.

Uriel last night woke up EVERY 2 hours to nurse. And he wasnt nursing properly- he kept on bobbing on and off and I had to relatch him on, so I wasnt able to nurse him in my sleep like usual.
It was too much. And neurotic.
Any way to get him to sleep for longer than 2 hours before needing to nurse again?
In the day, he also nurses frequently- he's just a hungry kid. I block feed, in the hopes that he'll stay fuller longer from the richer hind milk. Doesn't work. He generally refuses to eat for longer than 7 minutes- if I use compression and get him to nurse longer, he just ends up spitting it all up.

Just wanted to note that I'm of like mind with hashem_yaazor and against stuffing babies with unnatural things to get them to sleep longer.
However, waking up every 2 hours to nurse at 3 months of age just seems ridiculous.
Suggestions?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 2:33 pm
(1) It's colder out now, he may be seeking your warmth;
(2) He's older now and knows how yummy mommy is - what's not to like;
(3) I would not let a baby this young cry it ou;t
(4) Could he be beginning to teethe? Do his gums seem swollen?
(5) Growth spurt?

If you are doing it naturally, then unless CV'C something is wrong, you know that he is doing what comes to him instinctively. So why not just go with the flow, and see how long it takes to blow over?

smiley:)

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 2:51 pm
ummmm what about an almost 7 month old who wakes anywhere between every 20 min and every hour and a half????

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:05 pm
[quote="smiley:)"]ummmm what about an almost 7 month old who wakes anywhere between every 20 min and every hour and a half????[/quote]

Truthfully, at this point I personally would let him cry it out, but that's not for everyone.

Seraph

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:13 pm
smiley:) wrote:
ummmm what about an almost 7 month old who wakes anywhere between every 20 min and every hour and a half????

isnt he teething? so thats a different story...

Seraph

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:17 pm
Tamiri wrote:
(1) It's colder out now, he may be seeking your warmth;
(2) He's older now and knows how yummy mommy is - what's not to like;
(3) I would not let a baby this young cry it ou;t
(4) Could he be beginning to teethe? Do his gums seem swollen?
(5) Growth spurt?

1- I dress him very warmly, and hes sleeping right next to me, so I dont know how much hes seeking body heat
4- I dont think its swollen, but cud be I dont know what to look for.
5- if so, how would I know its that?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:25 pm
4- I dont think its swollen, but cud be I dont know what to look for.
5- if so, how would I know its that?

You can run your fingers along his gums, see if he tries to "gum" you, as in seeming to want to chew for comfort. It's a bit young, but sometimes this teething business (or whatever you want to call it) can last for a couple of months before the first tooth erupts.
IF it's a growth spurt, you will know it after the fact. He'll drive you insane nursing and then suddenly you will see - he grew!!!

Also, have you yourself changed anything in your own routine which may have affected milk production? New/diff food, change of schedule?

There is really nothing you can do, in my opinion. If you are nursing on demand and sleeping with him - what else is there? I don't believe that shtupping a baby with stuff in a bottle is a good way to get them to sleep, and you seem to agree. If it gets to be really difficult, as in he seems unsatisfied from you, then at about 4 months you can start with some benign fruits and veggies and see if that helps (I know they say 6 months but some kids seem to "need" food sooner. Mine sure did).

sarahd

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:29 pm
Sounds like a growth spurt. Uriel is around 3 months old now, isn't he? - and that's the time that he's supposed to have a spurt. If so, it shouldn't last too long.

smiley:)

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:33 pm
breslov wrote:

isnt he teething? so thats a different story...

No he just got one in. He could be getting more. I dont know. It's one of the many reasons I am not putting up a fight now.

hila

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 3:59 pm
You said he was chesty or coughing last week>
How is that now ? \did you get his ears checked in teh last few days ? Maybe he has an infection ?

Also - are you drinking enough ? maybe he really is not getting enough milk .

If you can - spend a day in bed with food and drink for you and nursing him.

It may build up supply.

But first get hime checked by the doctor

happymom

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 5:26 pm
he is probably teething. my daugther and my son now that hes teething both did that when they were teething. its normal and I think as hard as it is. they just need to be comforted. it might be a week or more but it will pass.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 7:22 pm
Breslov, hatzlacha. I wish I knew what to tell you but I finally got my 11 month old not to wake up that often (we are now at 3 hours), so I'm not sure I'm the best adviser Wink

He really may be going through a growth spurt or just stam uncomfortable now due to illness or whatever. Wait it out -- many times these phases are only for a few nights.

gryp

Post Sat, Dec 15 2007, 10:26 pm

that's what mine did! teething, teething, teething. No one thought I was serious when I said my baby wakes every 20 minutes before midnight and every hour after.
It can drive you nuts, but there's really nothing you can do about it except comfort him. It's a stage that one day will pass when a bunch of teeth are in already.

Breslov, I would also just go with the flow. He's showing you what his needs are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics