Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Are you bottle feeding? can you help me??
Previous  1  2

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 4:25 pm
miz wrote:
4-8 week old (approx 4.7 kg)- 5 0z. 5 feeds in 24hrs

So it seems like they divide the feeds differently. It's the same amount of oz. but more per feed and the feeds are spread apart. Does your baby finish 5oz bottles?
You can try feeding more often a less amount.

zoom

Post Thu, Jan 09 2020, 4:32 pm
right.
yes he does finish the bottles, just not at night.

graphic613

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 12:33 am
Im reading this chat and getting confused. I have bottle fed my now 6 month old from the start and she was taking 3 oz by week 2. According to the ppl in this forum that is probably too much but babies dont overeat. They let you know when tbey are full. I always feed til she is done and the amount your baby is eating is fine. I fed my baby every 3 hours and after 2 months it was mostly 3 hours- on demand. I never feed a happy baby tho. If she is happy in her crib or on the floor I wait for her to let me know she is hungry before feeding her. At night I fed when she woke up even if she ate a little. After 4 or 5 months I just stuck her pacifier back in and she went back to sleep.
Do what works for you. Dont let ppl tell you that your baby is eating too much
Ur a good mom! Keep it up!

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 7:53 am
graphic613 wrote:
Im reading this chat and getting confused. I have bottle fed my now 6 month old from the start and she was taking 3 oz by week 2. According to the ppl in this forum that is probably too much but babies dont overeat. They let you know when tbey are full. I always feed til she is done and the amount your baby is eating is fine. I fed my baby every 3 hours and after 2 months it was mostly 3 hours- on demand. I never feed a happy baby tho. If she is happy in her crib or on the floor I wait for her to let me know she is hungry before feeding her. At night I fed when she woke up even if she ate a little. After 4 or 5 months I just stuck her pacifier back in and she went back to sleep.
Do what works for you. Dont let ppl tell you that your baby is eating too much
Ur a good mom! Keep it up!

Bottle fed babies surely can be overfed. Someone told me that I need to give 3 ounces at 1 week. My baby didn't stop projectile vomiting and crying non stop. At the vach nach my mom and MIL saw how much I'm giving him and told my of course he's miserable, you're overfeeding him! I went down to 2oz and he calmed down bh no spit up!

zaftigmom

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 11:25 am
Everyone here is so funny.I've been a baby morah for a long time. Not every baby is the same. 5 oz is not too much if your baby is taking it nicely and keeping it down. That's why he's able to wait 4 hours between feedings.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 11:28 am
zaftigmom wrote:
Everyone here is so funny.I've been a baby morah for a long time. Not every baby is the same. 5 oz is not too much if your baby is taking it nicely and keeping it down. That's why he's able to wait 4 hours between feedings.

This.

Follow your baby's cues. Call a pediatrician for extra support if you need.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:14 pm
zaftigmom wrote:

It depends on the age of the baby. 6 weeks is still newborn. Newborns should be eating less amounts more often.
But OP lives in the UK, maybe recommended guidelines there are different.

zaftigmom

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 2:55 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
It depends on the age of the baby. 6 weeks is still newborn. Newborns should be eating less amounts more often.
But OP lives in the UK, maybe recommended guidelines there are different.

As a baby morah, I get to take care of babies that are six weeks old. Not every baby can handle this schedule but if her baby is thriving like this that's wonderful. It's not so different from a typical baby and not every baby has to do the same thing. Babies are individual people too and don't always follow exact guidelines.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 4:28 pm
What does it say on the box? What formula are you using?
I bottle feed all my kids, I don't see how it's possible for a 6 week old to finish 5 oz.

My newborn did! She wasn’t big.

Miz- it your baby isn’t vomiting or unhappy stick with it! Definitely don’t reduce the bottles just cuz some imas say it’s not typical. Mine went up to 4 oz at 3 weeks and up to 5 at some point but not really because she’s got some reflux so I have to pace her.

Full bottle every 4 hours is great (in Israel that’s how I was told in the hospital and that’s what my mom and all my sisters do. Some babies need to work up to it but that’s the goal) but at this age if they wake up at night feed them. If he’s naturally taking less thats great. I would ask the doctor before intentionally eliminating night feeds at this age but if they are eating this well by day then babies are more likely to sleep through the night earlier which is great.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Fri, Jan 10 2020, 4:29 pm
Bottle fed babies surely can be overfed. Someone told me that I need to give 3 ounces at 1 week. My baby didn't stop projectile vomiting and crying non stop. At the vach nach my mom and MIL saw how much I'm giving him and told my of course he's miserable, you're overfeeding him! I went down to 2oz and he calmed down bh no spit up!

Right, so if there’s discomfort or vomiting you need to gauge and try and see what needs to change. If the baby is happy and thriving- than not.

Teomima

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 3:34 pm
I bottle fed all my babies and what worked for me was to give on demand, especially at such a young age! I know some parents are quick to push for schedules and frankly I never got it. Plus, in regards to the op in particular, 4 hours sounds like a long stretch (usually it's just 3), 150ml sounds like a LOT (my kids weren't up to that amount in a single go too nearly half a year old) and your baby is still so, so young for all of this. Give him what he needs, when he needs it. Especially since you say he's on the small side. Also keep in mind that the bottle is the baby's fluids, not just food. How would you feel if you were only allowed to take a drink every four hours? And in the winter, with everyone snuggled up tight and in a heated house under a warm blanket, you're likely to be thirsty.

All that said, ignore what's said in a box, ignore what "professionals" tell you, hey, ignore ME if you want. YOU are his mom. The priority needs to be in meeting your son's needs. Whatever anyone else suggests didn't matter, listen to HIM. If he's dirty, you change him, right? If he's crying, you hold him. If he's cold, you warm him. And if he's hungry, you feed him. End of story.

monkeyland

Post Sat, Jan 11 2020, 4:56 pm
My baby is one year old and has only 180 ml

zoom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
My newborn did! She wasn’t big.

Miz- it your baby isn’t vomiting or unhappy stick with it! Definitely don’t reduce the bottles just cuz some imas say it’s not typical. Mine went up to 4 oz at 3 weeks and up to 5 at some point but not really because she’s got some reflux so I have to pace her.

Full bottle every 4 hours is great (in Israel that’s how I was told in the hospital and that’s what my mom and all my sisters do. Some babies need to work up to it but that’s the goal) but at this age if they wake up at night feed them. If he’s naturally taking less thats great. I would ask the doctor before intentionally eliminating night feeds at this age but if they are eating this well by day then babies are more likely to sleep through the night earlier which is great.

thanks.
even when I was breastfeeding my babies I was told to try to stretch to 4 hours.
he is def going fine till at least 3.5 hours.
the problem now is that he starts his night pretty early so the longest gap he has is usually when im up so I still have to get up twice a night. so I am not actually getting 7 hours sleep.
would love to start his night later but dont know how...

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 4:45 pm
miz wrote:
thanks.
even when I was breastfeeding my babies I was told to try to stretch to 4 hours.
he is def going fine till at least 3.5 hours.
the problem now is that he starts his night pretty early so the longest gap he has is usually when im up so I still have to get up twice a night. so I am not actually getting 7 hours sleep.
would love to start his night later but dont know how...

I wasn’t able to manipulate that an ultimately it’s a good habit, in a month or so he’ll sleep longer stretches and then it’s a good bedtime...

You could try a dream feed (like feed in sleep at 11) but that backfired on me.

zaftigmom

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 5:07 pm
Dream feed worked great for me. I went to sleep at 9. Dh fed baby at 11:30. It totally saved me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics