Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Pulling my baby out of her babysitter
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Metukah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 6:52 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Don't know about NYC specifically, but generally the recommended ratio for children under 15 months is around 1:3 or 1:4.

That is probably only relevant if she is legally registered.

Incidentally, if you do pull your child out at the of the week/month, do you have alternative childcare arrangements in place?

How could 1:4 be legally okay?

If chas vesholom there is a fire, these are babies, how can any one person handle 4 at a time. Here in the UK it is 1:3.

In a pinch I guess I could carry 3 babies.

The thought of leaving so many babies with one person frightens me to the core.

I would only send my baby to a setting where 1:3 is happening.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:05 pm
Metukah wrote:

If chas vesholom there is a fire, these are babies, how can any one person handle 4 at a time. Here in the UK it is 1:3.

There is no such place in NYC. Even the daycares that charge you 30k/year adhere to 1:4 ratio

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:15 pm
Metukah wrote:

The only way 1:3 works is if the babysitter is getting paid substantially less than the parent earns.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
There is no such place in NYC. Even the daycares that charge you 30k/year adhere to 1:4 ratio

Actually the ratio in a Group Family Daycare (which would be what the babysitter would be if she was legal) for kids under 2 is 1:2. A center might be different. (Over 2 is 1:6.)

Metukah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:22 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

Seriously? Even non walking babies? What happens in an emergency?

In the UK, its 1:3 for under 2 years and 1:4 for 2-3 year old. Over 3 it's 1:8 or 1:13 depending on setting and qualification.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:24 pm
Metukah wrote:

In the UK, its 1:3 for under 2 years and 1:4 for 2-3 year old. Over 3 it's 1:8 or 1:13 depending on setting and qualification.

I'm assuming the poster that said that was talking about a center (as opposed to a home based daycare) where there are always other staff members around.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:36 pm
My daughter had 1:5 babies to nurses in the NICU on tight shifts. That's the ratio I looked for at a baby daycare too.
You don't have to have olds texts, chances are if you don't make a big deal neither will she. It may be an uncomfortable conversation, but that's about it.
When I switched my daughter's place (I felt she was bored and not given enough attention, and sitter was too skimpy with her time and patience) I just told her I'm switching my work hours and need someone more full time. She wasn't too happy but you do what's right for your child.

Metukah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:38 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Actually the ratio in a Group Family Daycare (which would be what the babysitter would be if she was legal) for kids under 2 is 1:2. A center might be different. (Over 2 is 1:6.)

In the UK the ratio for a childminder (what you call group family daycare, where one person minds children at home) is 6 children under the age of 8, but only 1 under 2, except for exceptional circumstances such as twin babies, or childminders baby and another...

Metukah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:41 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I'm assuming the poster that said that was talking about a center (as opposed to a home based daycare) where there are always other staff members around.

See my post above. I clarified. It is indeed different in a centre. That is why nurses in a nicu can be 1:5, there are doctors and others around.

sky

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:43 pm
I once saw a large legal daycare have a fire drill with the fire dept there. They were bringing out porta cribs with a few kids in each. It wasn’t 1-2 children per morah.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:46 pm
Metukah wrote:

What happens in an emergency at home?

Metukah

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

I don't have 4 or more non walking babies.

But, I guess if I had quadruplets or quintuplets I'd put them all in a crib, as sky posted above.

Eta, I don't think I could do quadruplets or quintuplets without ft help. So problem solved.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 13 2020, 8:10 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

No one has 4 non walking babies at home. Unless they have quints +.
My neighbor works in a legal daycare in Monsey, the ration is 1:3.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:03 am
I was hired as a babysitter's ASSISTANT back when we had 12-13.

Now we have 10 and I'm there when the boss isn't. When she's there, I'm not.

5 non walking babies and 5 toddlers. 5 months to 18 months.

It's not safe, it's not legal, but none of the parents seem to mind! Every day I pray for no fire.

I stagger everything to a fairly strict schedule so I know who will need what when and I try to have a long naptime for all the toddlers (or most) at once---- we usually have 5 sleeping from 10 to 12 along with babies continuing to sleep from 9...... pack and plays in every room of the house. I try to do bottles during that 10-12 time (and spoon feed babies). so 9 am I nap the babies, 10 ish I put down the toddlers, 11 ish I bottle and/or spoon feed the babies, 12 ish I lunch the toddlers (we only have 4 high chairs so if they're all ready to eat at noon I just sit one at a chair at a table. 1 ish I put the babies back down for nap #2 (they napped between 9 and 11 or so)---- by 2:00 two of the babies get picked up and by 2:30 two of the toddlers get picked up so now we're at 6. Then two 3 year olds come to us after playgroup so we're back to 8 but between 2:30 and 4 it's basically just cleaning high chairs, vaccuming, and doing some more poopy diapers. a couple of babies get bottled again by 3 or so, and a couple eat food again at that time. I just stagger toys all over the floor but I don't get to sit and play with anyone or read them books or anything like that. I just diaper, feed, bottle, carry to pack and play, diaper, feed, bottle, carry to pack and play all day long.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:39 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:

It's not safe, it's not legal, but none of the parents seem to mind! Every day I pray for no fire.

I stagger everything to a fairly strict schedule so I know who will need what when and I try to have a long naptime for all the toddlers (or most) at once---- we usually have 5 sleeping from 10 to 12 along with babies continuing to sleep from 9...... pack and plays in every room of the house. I try to do bottles during that 10-12 time (and spoon feed babies). so 9 am I nap the babies, 10 ish I put down the toddlers, 11 ish I bottle and/or spoon feed the babies, 12 ish I lunch the toddlers (we only have 4 high chairs so if they're all ready to eat at noon I just sit one at a chair at a table. 1 ish I put the babies back down for nap #2 (they napped between 9 and 11 or so)---- by 2:00 two of the babies get picked up and by 2:30 two of the toddlers get picked up so now we're at 6. Then two 3 year olds come to us after playgroup so we're back to 8 but between 2:30 and 4 it's basically just cleaning high chairs, vaccuming, and doing some more poopy diapers. a couple of babies get bottled again by 3 or so, and a couple eat food again at that time. I just stagger toys all over the floor but I don't get to sit and play with anyone or read them books or anything like that. I just diaper, feed, bottle, carry to pack and play, diaper, feed, bottle, carry to pack and play all day long.

You sound extremely capable, but wow. This should not be happening. 😲

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 1:56 am
How are parents supposed to afford 1/3 of their wages for babysitting?

tsc3

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:07 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:

Omg. I'm tired just reading that.

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:54 am
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
No one has 4 non walking babies at home. Unless they have quints +.
My neighbor works in a legal daycare in Monsey, the ration is 1:3.

I know someone who had IVF twins and ten months later natural twins.

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:55 am
Metukah wrote:

This is the reason, to the letter, why I do not send to daycare. Here the legal limit is 1:6. Private or 1:2 would cost half my salary.

banana123

Post Tue, Jan 14 2020, 2:57 am
OP you need to pay for the time your child was there. But if she asked you to pay until the summer, that you don't need to do. Simply say that these are not the conditions you agreed to and this is not the standard of care you agreed to, and therefore you will pay her for what she has done up till now but no further. If she gets angry, and she is not legal, threaten to report or sue. She cannot fight that and will most probably leave you alone.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics