Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How to handle abominable report card
Previous  1  2  3  4

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:47 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
No bribe will work if the kid is neurological incapable of being on top of it due to something like anxiety or adhd or even just executive functioning disorder. No matter what I offer you, you will not manage to sit absolutely still in a chair with no movement for 24 hours. Maybe with enough training over many years you can get closer or learn how to fake it, but it’s not physically or emotionally possible for you. For this child, it might not be physically/ emotionally possible to be on top of her work without serious training through direct instruction.

You may be right.

But I would try it before shelling out big bucks for ADHD coaches.
If it doesn't work than professional help is needed.

keym

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 2:57 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
You may be right.

But I would try it before shelling out big bucks for ADHD coaches.
If it doesn't work than professional help is needed.

Or it could feed into a feeling of dispondancy that once again she screws up and can't do anything good.
That's what happened to a lot of my friends. There only started being an awareness of mild learning and behavior differences.
And those of us who physically couldn't fulfill the charts of expectations had our self esteem shot.

OP, if you're going to try this method, I'd go for the big prize with lower expectations.
Homework done with teacher and parental reminders for 2 weeks. Miss a day, keep going until you get 2 weeks worth.
That should be enough to see if it's a motivation issue or capable issue
BestBubby's terms seem extreme- 6 weeks, perfection, screw up start from the beginning? Bound to mess up.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Jan 28 2020, 4:47 pm
keym wrote:
Or it could feed into a feeling of dispondancy that once again she screws up and can't do anything good.
That's what happened to a lot of my friends. There only started being an awareness of mild learning and behavior differences.
And those of us who physically couldn't fulfill the charts of expectations had our self esteem shot.

OP, if you're going to try this method, I'd go for the big prize with lower expectations.
Homework done with teacher and parental reminders for 2 weeks. Miss a day, keep going until you get 2 weeks worth.
That should be enough to see if it's a motivation issue or capable issue
BestBubby's terms seem extreme- 6 weeks, perfection, screw up start from the beginning? Bound to mess up.

Sounds good to me. Baby steps.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children