Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Is this common for a girl?
Previous  1  2

nchr

Post Thu, Jan 30 2020, 7:19 pm
We're not huggy over here. I've never cuddled with any of my children, but I'll pinch their cheeks, rub their backs like a massage, etc.

dankbar

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 6:46 am
are you squeezing her too tight, that she can't breathe? try going gentle if that's the case

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 9:38 am
OP, I understand. I davened for 20 years, before I could finally adopt my beautiful baby daughter. I am also a very affectionate, huggy person who likes lots of physical touch.

Then it turned out she hated to be swaddled, snuggled, held, or any kind of baby-wearing. I was so worried that she wasn't bonding with me! She loved to be near me all the time, though.

When she was 3 she started wanting to hug and kiss me, but it always had to be on her terms. If I tried to kiss her, she would wipe her face.

She turned out to be a super sensory kid, and it had nothing to do with emotional attachment at all.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 10:37 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
My son is like this. I think it's normal. I will never throw my hands around him in a hug. Instead, I will hold out my hands and ask him, would you like to come to mommy for a hug? Sometimes he comes, sometimes he declines. I've found that respecting his space makes him feel safe enough to come to me for cuddles and hugs if he needs them.

ETA: He can cuddle with his blanket for hours.

Thank you for bringing that up. This is a very smart and safe way of hugging for all kids, not only those that don’t want.
You ask “ want a hug? Can you give me a hug?
It teaches them safety regarding their body. No one can force me to hug.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jan 31 2020, 1:38 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
How does that differ from what I wrote & what the ped said?

Excuse me? What I said is nothing like what you said, Can't Believe It
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics