Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Forgot to give amoxicillin in the morn

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 7:56 pm
And it’s day 10 of a 10 day course. Give or skip?

mamma llama

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:03 pm
It's not the biggest deal when it's already the last day, but you can give it tomorrow morning to be on the safe side. Wink

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:04 pm
Forgot to say- was for strep, if it makes a difference

mamma llama

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:07 pm
That's actually what I was thinking!
When my dd took amoxicillin, she got hives from it so we stopped it after the 8th or 9th day and B"H the strep didn't come back.
That's why I think 10th day isn't an issue...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:07 pm
mamma llama wrote:
It's not the biggest deal when it's already the last day, but you can give it tomorrow morning to be on the safe side. Wink

I can still give tonight technically. But if it’s 24 hrs from last dose and will give 1 more dose now- does it make sense?
One of the peds we’ve seen in the past told me once that really 7 days is enough but they prescribe for 10 days so in case parents aren’t on top of it they should get at least something... well I’m usually pretty on top of it but ya, life happens Wink...
Anyway, don’t know if her ‘thing’ is mainstream or not?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:09 pm
mamma llama wrote:
When my dd took amoxicillin, she got hives from it so we stopped it after the 8th or 9th day and B"H the strep didn't come back.

That’s good!
I guess my question is will it potentially cause more antibiotics resistance if we skip the last day or if we kinda stopped and then start for another day, know what I mean? Dunno if I make sense though...🤷‍♀️

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:51 pm
mamma llama wrote:

Curious - do they now consider her allergic? DS broke out in a rash towards the end of his amoxicillin treatment, and they marked him down as allergic. I always get a different antibiotic for him now. But I've seen things about an amoxicillin rash that's not necessarily an allergy. What did your doc say?

Moonlight

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 8:54 pm
Skip

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 9:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I can still give tonight technically. But if it’s 24 hrs from last dose and will give 1 more dose now- does it make sense?
One of the peds we’ve seen in the past told me once that really 7 days is enough but they prescribe for 10 days so in case parents aren’t on top of it they should get at least something... well I’m usually pretty on top of it but ya, life happens Wink...
Anyway, don’t know if her ‘thing’ is mainstream or not?

My doc said I could stop by day 8 if I wanted to... That the pediatricians are starting to advise 7-9 days now instead of 10.

mamma llama

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 9:57 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Curious - do they now consider her allergic? DS broke out in a rash towards the end of his amoxicillin treatment, and they marked him down as allergic. I always get a different antibiotic for him now. But I've seen things about an amoxicillin rash that's not necessarily an allergy. What did your doc say?

We didn't ask the doc because we knew some other relatives were allergic already so we just assumed it was an allergy by her too... The next time she needed antibiotics we told the doc she's allergic so he just prescribed something else.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:01 pm
Pediatric nurse here. Better to skip it. 9 days is perfectly fine.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 02 2020, 10:08 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Pediatric nurse here. Better to skip it. 9 days is perfectly fine.

Thanks for your input!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics