Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Shabbos "robes" for little boys-summer?
Previous  1  2

keym

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:42 pm
I've seen boys "robes" matching to the sister's Shabbos robe.
One winter, my daughter got a robe gold quilting on top, black velvet bottom. I found PJs that the shirt was the same gold quilting and the pants were a velour.

For the summer, my boys regular PJs are classic football or dumptruck or whatever.
Shabbos, I'll buy a little nicer. Solid or ribbed. A little nicer.

I found cute stuff on Amazon.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:47 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
These are all pajamas, not boys 2 piece robes.

Some of these are nice Shabbos pajamas in lighter weight, not velour. That's what my youngest son wears in the summer for Shabbos, not regular Carters, but a dark grey or whatever instead of hot velour. There is no such thing as a 2 piece robe that isn't heavy quality because 2 piece robes are made up clothing by the frum velt -- they just are heavy material by definition as robes tend to be. Otherwise they are called pajamas, and there are nicer and not nicer ones.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 3:48 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
That's a bath robe, and totally normal. I'm wondering what a "Shabbos robe" is, and why it would be worn outside. I'm pretty sure people don't send their little kids outside to play in bath robes (of course, I've been wrong before. You never know...)

Nothing says "Summer" like black velour, right? Especially in Israel. Sunny Sunny Sunny

I was not linking to a robe. I was linking to a whole section that included nice Shabbos pajamas for the summer.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:09 pm
watergirl wrote:
You are going to put your little kid in all black to play outside in the summer? With long pants? And the ones I linked have to be dried flat, not in a machine, ironed, HAND WASHED before you ever wear them... what of this is practical?

First wash hand wash
Machine wash cold
Wash with like colors
Do not bleach
Flat dry
Iron on reverse side

If you buy them because you like them, enjoy! Wear them in good health! But don't tell me it's practical for pajamas.

In the real hot summer weather, the boys wear these sets Friday night and shabbos day shorts and tee's.
It says on all lulu stuff hand wash first time. I never do and the clothing never got ruin. I always wash with like colors and I never dry clothing.
It's not practical pajamas, it's a practical shabbos outfit for little boys.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 4:29 pm
watergirl wrote:
You are going to put your little kid in all black to play outside in the summer? With long pants? And the ones I linked have to be dried flat, not in a machine, ironed, HAND WASHED before you ever wear them... what of this is practical?

First wash hand wash
Machine wash cold
Wash with like colors
Do not bleach
Flat dry
Iron on reverse side

If you buy them because you like them, enjoy! Wear them in good health! But don't tell me it's practical for pajamas.

I have never shopped in lulu and the pajamas I’ve bought have been easy comfortable wash and wear in greys or blues not black just nicer patterns than the typical firetrucks I get from Carter’s. My kids wear long pajamas all summer because while it’s hot outside it’s chilly inside and they don’t keep blankets on while they sleep. Shabbos day my kids usually wear clothing but even my 3 year old refuses to wear shorts because the big boys don’t so pants it is.

heidi

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:28 pm
keym wrote:
I've seen boys "robes" matching to the sister's Shabbos robe.
One winter, my daughter got a robe gold quilting on top, black velvet bottom. I found PJs that the shirt was the same gold quilting and the pants were a velour.

You Americans never cease to amaze me.
And that's why I take your tuition threads with a TBS of salt.

keym

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:39 pm
heidi wrote:
You Americans never cease to amaze me.
And that's why I take your tuition threads with a TBS of salt.

Why thank you.

And if I told you that I found it on a clearance rack. That the robe for my 10 yr old was $12, and the boys PJs were $4/apiece, would you lose the condescension?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:54 pm
To all those who don't understand why people like them - I love shabbos pajamas. With shabbos so late in the summer my boys end up getting tired in middle of the meal. I love not having to take a long break from the meal to put them to bed (they can go straight to bed bec they are already in PJs). Or just fall asleep on the couch and be carried to bed later. (They normally put on PJs by themselves but since it late they get cranky and would need alot of "encouragement) They are nice enough that it still gives them a "shabbos feeling", and they feel good getting "dressed for shabbos" while at the same time they can sleep in them.
They are also comfortable and easy for them to put on before shabbos - at least the ones I buy (making dressing them during the busy afternoon easy).
I usually spend about $10 a pair (this year I got from kidichik for $10) since I get them for the next year right when they go on sale. But even the few times I spent more - I felt it was worth it bec it's instead of buying another shabbos outfit for Friday night.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 5:59 pm
Shuly wrote:
Look up VAENAIT BABY on Amazon.

Nice stuff! Thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 09 2020, 6:11 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
To all those who don't understand why people like them - I love shabbos pajamas. With shabbos so late in the summer my boys end up getting tired in middle of the meal. I love not having to take a long break from the meal to put them to bed (they can go straight to bed bec they are already in PJs). Or just fall asleep on the couch and be carried to bed later. (They normally put on PJs by themselves but since it late they get cranky and would need alot of "encouragement) They are nice enough that it still gives them a "shabbos feeling", and they feel good getting "dressed for shabbos" while at the same time they can sleep in them.
They are also comfortable and easy for them to put on before shabbos - at least the ones I buy (making dressing them during the busy afternoon easy).
I usually spend about $10 a pair (this year I got from kidichik for $10) since I get them for the next year right when they go on sale. But even the few times I spent more - I felt it was worth it bec it's instead of buying another shabbos outfit for Friday night.

Exactly this! Even more, we don't have an eruv and we don't leave the house on shabbos, as there aren't any little kids to play with around us and my you ones can't walk. So the shabbos PJs are basically easily washable clothes that I can let my kids wear for 25 hours, play in, eat it, sleep in and still feel dressed for shabbos.

dankbar

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 9:50 am
The one linked to Lulu, is just fancy European style. It doesn't look comfortable as its not a jersey knit & needs to be ironed too, so not practical either. Of course you spare the white shirt cuffs from turning black though.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 10:26 am
Around 5 years ago there was a Shabbos Robe "stylr" to put on a long tunic style top on boys with shorts and you could barely see the shorts.... but this was for children under the age of 5. I don't go for it

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 07 2022, 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 11:45 am
watergirl wrote:
Ha! I had to look at that myself because I had never heard of this! I guessed at the website so I think this is it... https://lulukidsclothing.com/c.....2ls73

If I'm right, wow, that kid does NOT look happy! This is not anything I would put my boys in and its not something they would wear if I tried! Whats with all black for kids? In the summer? And kids not smiling in modeling photos?

He looks like he belongs on a box of Cracker Jacks.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 11:56 am
Boys' Shabbos robes are NOT pajamas!

I love them for my little boys. Instead of them ruining and dirtying a nicer Shabbos outfits, these are comfortable and more practical. They wear them all Shabbos unless we go out. They play outside in them and even walk to visit my mother in them. I would never take my kids out in pj's.

Then again, I do understand how strange it can seem to those who never heard of the concept. These boys' robes first came out about 14 years ago, and I remember how strange I thought it was then. Robes are for girls! But I tried it, loved it, and don't know how I managed without it.

I personally do not care for the Lulu robe linked above.
I ordered this for my little one: https://www.bambuukids.com/col.....gging
And matching for the girls. They sell it in just a top version for older boys, but DS6 wrinkled his nose at the thought. If he changes his mind, I may get it for him too.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:16 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Boys' Shabbos robes are NOT pajamas!

I love them for my little boys. Instead of them ruining and dirtying a nicer Shabbos outfits, these are comfortable and more practical. They wear them all Shabbos unless we go out. They play outside in them and even walk to visit my mother in them. I would never take my kids out in pj's.

Then again, I do understand how strange it can seem to those who never heard of the concept. These boys' robes first came out about 14 years ago, and I remember how strange I thought it was then. Robes are for girls! But I tried it, loved it, and don't know how I managed without it.

I personally do not care for the Lulu robe linked above.
I ordered this for my little one: https://www.bambuukids.com/col.....gging
And matching for the girls. They sell it in just a top version for older boys, but DS6 wrinkled his nose at the thought. If he changes his mind, I may get it for him too.

This is exactly what I'm looking for and super cute...but double the maximum I want to pay Sad

Any other links are appreciated!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Mar 10 2020, 12:44 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to explain! This makes a LOT of sense. It was the word "robe" that threw me. There is nothing robe-like about a cute indoor-outdoor cotton playset. If I had boys, I would want to get those outfits for them.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics