Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What are people thinking??????
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:27 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
To be fair, avoiding all mention of pregnancy is a Victorian hang-up. It has no basis in Jewish culture. The Torah and the gemara mention pregnancy without resorting to euphemisms. Pregnancy is a wonderful state, not something shameful to be hidden.

Now, do I think you should wear skin-tight clothing? No, but I feel that way in general. There's nothing more immodest about a belly bump than any other body part.

No one is saying we need to hide our pregnant bellies, (that's impossible obviously.) But we shouldn't be wearing skin tight clothing that exposes the exact shape of the stomach and let's not mention the belly button that comes along with wearing tight maternity clothing.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 8:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No one is saying we need to hide our pregnant bellies, (that's impossible obviously.) But we shouldn't be wearing skin tight clothing that exposes the exact shape of the stomach and let's not mention the belly button that comes along with wearing tight maternity clothing.

Great.

Either the woman you saw at the party holds this way, and decided to break a rule.

or she doesn't.

that's it.

fin.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Mar 12 2020, 11:19 pm
I love when people use tznius awareness posts as an opportunity to gossip and show off how much better they are than the fool who made the tznius faux pas. What good does it do to whine about what someone did after the fact? It would be more effective to post a general tznius PSA regarding costumes before Purim.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Mar 13 2020, 12:40 am
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Breastfeeding is a wonderful state too. Why not flaunt your breasts?

Tznius.

I think you are missing the point. I'm not in favor of flaunting the body. I'm opposed to hiding the condition.

And for what it's worth, my grandmothers both said that back in Europe, frum women nursed in public all the time. They didn't expose their breasts, but everyone understood that infants had to eat. Finished.

The gemara (Yoma 54a) faces a problem. One pasuk says that the poles, the badim, of the Aron, could be seen through the paroches and one says they couldn't be seen. The gemara reconciles the two by explaining that the poles pushed through the fabric like a woman's two breasts are seen through her clothes.

הא כיצד דוחקין ובולטין ויוצאין בפרוכת ונראין כשני דדי אשה

Because women have the bodies that Hashem gave them.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics