Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Anyone else get scared when they hear Mashiach is here?
Previous  1  2  3

lilies

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
That part you don't have to be worried about. A man being allowed to have more than one wife doesn't mean he's allowed to take a second wife if his wife doesn't want him to. It was never typical for a man to have multiple wives; it was allowed, but it was uncommon.

Maybe abused wives appreciated this allowance.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:31 pm
It makes me so HAPPY!
SO REASSURED!

So glad that this crazy time is the dark before the DAWN!

That Hashem Will Take us out with an Outstretched Arm B"H!!!

And everything will be even better than before this craziness.

Ken yehi ratzon!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:47 pm
I have no idea what it means when Maschiach comes. Not sure what happens. Don't understand how you can have tchiyat hametim and gilgul at the same time. Do we have a physical body-and then how old are we/what is our appearance? Are we like the drippy souls in the little mermaid? How do we spend our time-dedicated to learning Torah? We shouldn't need to work or cook.....will my children be stuck in time or get married and have children of their own? Will it just be like we are all dead and in shamayim?
Don't mean to be apikores like at all. My point is I just have no clue.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:54 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I have no idea what it means when Maschiach comes. Not sure what happens. Don't understand how you can have tchiyat hametim and gilgul at the same time. Do we have a physical body-and then how old are we/what is our appearance? Are we like the drippy souls in the little mermaid? How do we spend our time-dedicated to learning Torah? We shouldn't need to work or cook.....will my children be stuck in time or get married and have children of their own? Will it just be like we are all dead and in shamayim?
Don't mean to be apikores like at all. My point is I just have no clue.

The (very basic) understanding I’ve always had is that the first stage of Moshiach coming will be similar to life as we know it, only with clear understanding of Hashem across the world and an easing of our suffering. We will still be people in regular bodies living regular lives, only better.

Techiyas hameisim may not occur immediately. Eventually we will get to a time of acharis hayamim, which will be everyone in olam haba.

I’m definitely not an expert, though.

First Lady

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:10 pm
We probably cannot imagine or grasp what it will be like.
But I'm absolutely and positively bursting with excitement at the thought of going to and living in the Holy Land, and I hope that part happens as soon as he comes, not in increments.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:32 pm
If moshiach is going to come now, he'll come whether you're scared or not.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:33 pm
Delete

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 7:50 pm
will people have children after mashiach comes?

Jewishfoodie

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:07 pm
Wow! I just saw this thread and the first thing that came to mind was, "scared? Of Moshiach? Finally coming?"

I gotta be honest. If I had to put pen to paper and write down all the reasons I desperately need him, there'd be no paper or pens left in the universe.

Of course, I'm aware that I will have to face Yom Hadin, but that is such a small price to pay (even if chas vshalom I have to get sent down..to the scary place) for a world with no more suffering.

At one particular event, Avraham Fried told a story on stage. Indulge me and I will paraphrase.

"There was a town many years ago where word spread like wildfire: Moshiach had arrived!! The townspeople were duly ecstatic, dropped everything they were doing to run and greet 'Moshiach'. On his way running to the entrance of the town, an elderly Jew, who couldn't run as fast as everyone else, glanced up to see a simple humble Rabbi sitting calmly, learning from a sefer. A bit confused, he chastised him gently. "You are a man of G-d! The Moshiach is here! Come greet him properly!"

Replied the Rabbi, "I'm sorry. I wish he was. But he's not." Shocked to his core, the elderly man shouted, "How dare you say that, before checking to see if that's true!"

Said the Rabbi, "I have proof. Come. See." The Rabbi pointed across the road. "What do you see?"

The old man, confused, retorted, "a little child on the side of the road, crying. He probably got lost in the confusion. So what!"

"Ah..." Replied the Rabbi. "But when Moshiach comes, not one Jew will shed a tear. And if there's a Jewish child crying, sadly, Moshiach has not arrived"

Now, imagine a world where no Jewish mother, no unmarried boy or girl, no akarah, no sick person would ever have to shed a tear.

I feel strongly that on behalf of Klal Yisrael, the benefits definitely outweigh the fear.

May we all be zocheh to the geula even before we're ready.

Ravenclaw

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:13 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Same here. The whole “4/5 died in mitzrayim” thing isn’t very reassuring.

I feel like my very ambivalence about the coming of Mashiach (I sort of don’t want to live in a world without Broadway musicals and Harry Potter and interesting non-Jewish cultures and philosophies?) makes me unworthy of his arrival.

Oh gosh, finally someone who gets me. I feel exactly the same. I am terrified. So many things that give me joy now will be gone and while I know that supposedly I’ll see the joy then in sitting at a golden table learning Torah all day, popping out a baby (and two snakes to care for it) every day... I just want to enjoy my kids now, teach them about culture and the arts and finish the day with a bubble bath, fuzzy socks and a good sci-fi movie. And I know the response, I’m so far removed from Torah to see the beauty ladeeda.
But it is terrifying. What if I’m one of the bad ones? What if it becomes a Puritan style world like in handmaidens tale with multiple wives and loss of feminism?

lilies

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:16 pm
Only thing I heard about time of Moshiach is that the world will continue in the way it is now, only without tzaar. I'm confused.

rgh

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 8:37 pm
lilies wrote:
Only thing I heard about time of Moshiach is that the world will continue in the way it is now, only without tzaar. I'm confused.

I think we're all confused. The greatest sages and philosophers of our nation, the Ramban and the Rambam, had disagreements about these topics.

If they didn't have a perfectly clear consensus about what the times of moshiach will look like, I don't think any of us imas can.

Let's just all try our hardest to do more mitvzvos, less aveiros, and be kind to one another.

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:49 am
This topic comes up pretty often, and as always a reminder that the Rambam thought the world wouldn’t change at all in Messianic times, except politically. The nations of the world won’t oppress Jews anymore. Otherwise, nothing supernatural will happen.

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:52 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Oh gosh, finally someone who gets me. I feel exactly the same. I am terrified. So many things that give me joy now will be gone and while I know that supposedly I’ll see the joy then in sitting at a golden table learning Torah all day, popping out a baby (and two snakes to care for it) every day... I just want to enjoy my kids now, teach them about culture and the arts and finish the day with a bubble bath, fuzzy socks and a good sci-fi movie. And I know the response, I’m so far removed from Torah to see the beauty ladeeda.
But it is terrifying. What if I’m one of the bad ones? What if it becomes a Puritan style world like in handmaidens tale with multiple wives and loss of feminism?

What do you mean, finally? I’ve been posting about how I don’t want to live in a theocracy, or in a world without literature, art, feminism, democracy, diversity, etc in every single Moshiach thread.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:13 am
First Lady wrote:
We probably cannot imagine or grasp what it will be like.
But I'm absolutely and positively bursting with excitement at the thought of going to and living in the Holy Land, and I hope that part happens as soon as he comes, not in increments.

Jews are already returning from all corners of the earth. So it looks like that part is happening in increments.

I hope everyone is brushing up on their Hebrew in anticipation.

First Lady

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Jews are already returning from all corners of the earth. So it looks like that part is happening in increments.

I hope everyone is brushing up on their Hebrew in anticipation.

I know. But for those of us who can't yet go, I hope he comes very soon and takes us there right away. It's my dream come true to live in Israel.

tp3

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 8:03 am
https://www.chabad.org/library.....s.htm

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:06 am
sequoia wrote:
What do you mean, finally? I’ve been posting about how I don’t want to live in a theocracy, or in a world without literature, art, feminism, democracy, diversity, etc in every single Moshiach thread.

I assume there will be miracles in the BHMK but yes, the world will continue as is. I've heard that since Hashem's presence will be so obvious, thanks to the coming of Moshiach, while we'll still have a yetzer hara it will be blunted.
I sometimes think, what will I miss when Moshiach comes, and I can't come up with anything, but I appreciate your feelings. I don't know if the following can increase your optimism or at least decrease your pessimism in anyway:
- The role of women - Miriam Kosman wrote a book that I bought but haven't yet read. Apparently people don't like it. But the gist is, women will be seen differently. I don't know how exactly.
As far as music, at the back of one of Richard Feyneman's books, he writes about some African beats of a totally different rhythm than western music. I am so curious what the music the Leviim will make, and the instruments they use will be. Will we have the sheminis? The asor? The other instruments Dovid Hamelech referenced? And who's to say that we won't be allowed to listen to and read what we want? The question is, will the options be so amazing that we'll be a lot more discriminating in the old stuff we've brought with us?
We've been taught that the earthly concept of monarchy is to enable us to appreciate how Hashem is the Monarch over the world. If you think of our years as a people, proportionately, we haven't had too many years of authentic malchus. But I for one am willing to give it a chance again.
As for diversity, this means different things to different people. But there will be world wide peace and mutual respect. We aren't supposed to be clones: the twelve tribes, 12 paths through the Red Sea, etc. But as is pointed out in the beginning of Bamidbar, we are only taught about the order of the encampments that referred to each tribe's uniqueness (Rav Hirsch there is fascinating) once we had the Torah to unite around.

This is an encouraging picture, IMO. But that's my opinion.

chmom

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:09 am
sequoia wrote:

I completely agree and feel the exact same way
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics