Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Fill The Void - appropriate for Yeshiva teens?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:38 pm
It's decidedly a chick flick. Teenage boys would be bored out of their gourds.

the ending is ambiguous, which my dh says is good because it forces the audience to think rather than just swallow a story. I saw the film years ago and don't recall many details, but my overall impression was that the bride, who was initially resistant to the idea of marrying her bil, was eventually reconciled to it and by the end was beginning to embrace it. Because the ending is unclear, it's equally possible to get the impression that the bride was headed for a lifetime of misery as a "p'cock" (cork or drain stopper, iow someone who's stuck willy-nilly into a situation to fill someone else's need without regard to his or her own feelings.)

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 12:46 pm
soap suds wrote:
Actually, in this case it's art immitating life. I saw an interview with the producer. She said that she met someone in a situation like this and was intrigued. She did a lot of research on the topic and surprisingly, she found it to be a (relatively) common accurance across many different cultures.

I also know a couple like that. In this case the kid was older, about 3-4 years old, when the mother passed and then the father married her sister.

Correct. I know irl at least 2 families that did this.
I still think it's weird but it's not unheard of.

PeanutMama

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:00 pm
I watched it. I didn’t find a problem with it but the part where BIL stands creepily close and says we could’ve been closer is eeeeeeekkk

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:08 pm
I thought the woman dying in childbirth was tragic and traumatic.

The ending was very confusing for me. I didn't know if she was happy or miserable. Some people cry when they are happy. Maybe she was remembering her sister, and wishing she was there. Maybe she wanted a different path in life, but this seemed like the one that everyone else wanted for her. I have no idea.

Teens tend to think in black and white, and definitely are not comfortable with ambiguity.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:16 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Correct. I know irl at least 2 families that did this.
I still think it's weird but it's not unheard of.

A few generations ago, when death in childbirth and from infectious disease was rampant, marrying one's dead wife's sister wasn't at all uncommon. The man needed a wife, the children needed a mother, and the sister-in-law needed a husband. The respective families were already known quantities, making the shidduch process simple.

Neatly charting the family tree, on the other hand...not so simple. You can't help crossing lines.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:29 pm
I know of one family who did this.

For the children, it is probably the best option. Their new mother is someone they already know and love, and know that she loves them and loved their mother. So many of the challenges of remarrying with children are avoided.

I'm sure it is awkward at the beginning, but I do think it is worth exploring if it is an option.

Lizzie4

Post Wed, Apr 29 2020, 1:32 pm
The show "Designated Survivor" might be good for teenage boys.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics