Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do We Still Need To Pay Regular Tuition?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 1:14 am
small bean wrote:
My girls school in lakewood said that they are refunding money for lunch from when school closed because lunch is now covered by the government for everyone regardless of income and also that they applied for the PPP loan and didn't get an answer yet. If they are eligible they will let us know. I assume that's because parents called asking.

I personally think the schools and teachers are working hard and deserve the tuition money from me as my income hasn't changed.

wow which school. I cant believe they r so forthcoming with info. I didnt hear anything from mine...

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 2:10 am
Hi, Didn't read up
Before pesach I was like, my kids are almost never on the line. (I worked out of the house). When they are, they space out and I have to sit with them.....I will think about paying tuition.
And then I spoke to a teacher and to a mom of a teacher which shifted my perspective. Of course our kids don't get a fraction of what they get in school cuz it's just not possible. But the amount of crazy hours the teachers put in for the teleconference is unreal. They can stay up till after midnight and then tend to their kids the following day. They have to have in mind, enough time for every girl to get to the right page, get the right sheet out. Be on the right pace so every girl could catch up. And in general, to teach for invisible kids is far from the same way they prepare and teach as for a regular classroom lesson. A girl has an issue getting on the line, who do they call? The teacher....
Zoom teachers, having all kids home and teach isn't an easy feat. They can't teach nighttime, after their kids go to sleep. It's hard to have control over the students over devices.
Schools are open for teachers meetings, stencils, copies, etc
I'm sure every school and way of teaching is different. And every situation home is different (you or DH got laid off). I'm not saying people should or shouldn't stop paying. But If you feel it's not a fair deal, you can and should talk to your rav (I personally know a woman who her rav told her to pay only half) and definitely talk to your administrator, board, or whoever in charge.
This is all I have to say.
I'm not trying to defend or offend anyone so please no-one take this personal.
NO-ONE signed up for this. Neither we moms nor our teachers. It's super hard for everyone. We gotta try to work together and not be/abt rude.
Shavua tova everyone!

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 2:35 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Here's something I'm seeing a lot of and don't understand.
Say I still have my full income. That means I'm still working my REGULAR job, but without the childcare I usually get to cover my working hours.
What about that makes me more obligated to pay tuition for reduced services than someone unemployed? You do realize that while I'm working my full time hours, I also need to somehow entertain my children and coordinate their phone conferences, same as all those unemployed? I am getting the same service but somehow there's an attitude of, I can't pay but if you can, you should. If the complaint is about a decrease in quality of service, it applies to all, regardless of financial circumstance.
FTR, been paying full tuition obligation without a word of complaint to anyone. I'm fine with supporting the school in a time of need. Just don't understand this attitude.

I’m the poster who said I don’t know how we’re going to pay tuition since dh not working now.
Sry if you picked up an attitude that we should owe less because we can’t pay now. That wasn’t my intention at all. If Halacha is that we need to pay, obviously everyone is responsible to pay, whether they have regular income now or none at all. And of course the reverse is true too. (And btw I AM working full time like u are so I get how hard it is to work while being on top of kids conferences)

I only mentioned that dh is out of work now because I happen to think the teachers and schools are doing a phenomenal job under the circumstances, and if my income had not changed, I’d be happy to pay full tuition now, even though schools are providing a third of usual services.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 2:59 am
We just received a letter from DDs school, stating that they are continuing to improve their remote learning program and that they are committed to paying their teachers and staff for the rest of the year. Therefore, they will be collecting tuition payments but they will not charge for transportation or hot lunches (that are not served). They charge my cc automatically every month, and they have charged me both this month and last for transportation, but they have promised to give a credit for that amount.

B”H, I am working remotely and am still receiving my salary, so I think this is fair, and I am fine with paying. (I think the school is doing the best they can in an unprecedented, crisis situation, and I am glad the teachers will get paid.) They do offer a way for parents, who have been financially affected by the crisis to reach them to renegotiate their tuition. . .

silverlining3

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 3:01 am
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
We just received a letter from DDs school, stating that they are continuing to improve their remote learning program and that they are committed to paying their teachers and staff for the rest of the year. Therefore, they will be collecting tuition payments but they will not charge for transportation or hot lunches (that are not served). They charge my cc automatically every month, and they have charged me both this month and last for transportation, but they have promised to give a credit for that amount.

B”H, I am working remotely and am still receiving my salary, so I think this is fair, and I am fine with paying. (I think the school is doing the best they can in an unprecedented, crisis situation, and I am glad the teachers will get paid.) They do offer a way for parents, who have been financially affected by the crisis to reach them to renegotiate their tuition. . .

Amazing when administrators work along with the parents

small bean

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:01 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
wow which school. I cant believe they r so forthcoming with info. I didnt hear anything from mine...

Bnos esther malka

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:47 am
I WANT to pay my tuition 100%. I WANT the teachers to get paid.

My dilemma is that I had to go back to work after pesach (I work in healthcare), and my DH had to go back to work as well. Neither of us have jobs that we can work from home. We now have to pay for full time private child care. There is no way we can afford that plus tuition. It is just not feasable for us. We paid full for March and April. We were in contact with the school for May tuition and told them our situation. They deferred the May payment until the end of the summer.

They also said they are waiting to get a CARE grant which they applied for, and when they do, they will give back 50% of the (full) tuition that was paid for these months.

These are not normal times and I think people are doing their best.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 9:59 am
that's great that they said they hope to give back 50 percent. Our school hasn't said anything about that. I do think they are trying their best considering the situation and am fine paying the same tuition, just felt that if they get money from the government we should see some of it. Doesn't sound like we will though.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 10:47 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
that's great that they said they hope to give back 50 percent. Our school hasn't said anything about that. I do think they are trying their best considering the situation and am fine paying the same tuition, just felt that if they get money from the government we should see some of it. Doesn't sound like we will though.

If you think your school is going to be getting funding - ask for a tuition reduction if your situation has changed.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, May 03 2020, 12:35 pm
my situation hasn't changed, hence me not asked for a tuition break. my post was in response to the poster who made it sound like everyone would get a break because of funding.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics