Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
How accurate are the covid-19 tests?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 12:58 am
I’m sure this has been discussed and rehashed here already but I honestly wasn’t following most of the coronavirus threads.
My dh had coronavirus. (He is in his 50’s.) He became quite sick but bH did not need to be hospitalized and has recovered.
Recently he was at an urgent care office (not for a covid related issue)and they were offering testing for coronavirus. He has already been better for a few weeks but he decided to test for both coronavirus and antibodies.
The results came back that even though he has recovered he tested positive! How can this be?? He has been better for about a month already!
And the antibody test did not show enough antibodies to be considered immune which also makes no sense because he was very, very sick for a few weeks.
He plans redo both tests next week but for now I’m very confused and I’m wondering about the accuracy of these tests.
Any explanation for this is much appreciated.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:04 am
The antibody tests are designed to skew towards false negatives.

Pcr tests can show positive for a long time even though someone is no longer contagious because it picks up dna fragments from viral debris being cleared.

Hard to know what’s going on but these are possible explanations.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, May 10 2020, 1:12 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
The antibody tests are designed to skew towards false negatives.

Pcr tests can show positive for a long time even though someone is no longer contagious because it picks up dna fragments from viral debris being cleared.

Hard to know what’s going on but these are possible explanations.

Interesting. I've read reports of only 70% accuracy rates on some of the antibody tests being advertised, with FDA approved ones having as high as 96% accuracy. I've also seen a lot about false positives on antibody tests, and some false positives on the PCR tests. I haven't seen much about false negatives on the antibody tests.

And even if someone is positive for antibodies, we don't have clarity about what that actually means.

https://www.discovermagazine.c.....false
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics