Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tell me about tti undergrad; can take tests without them?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:43 am
Here’s the q: my dd hs is offering them opportunity to take tests through tti and start earning college credits.

Cost of test is higher than straight Clep cost ($135 vs $87). At this point, 9th grade, I have no idea what she’s going to end up doing in 3 years, and if those tests, other than cleps, could be used elsewhere.

Is it a good idea to save money to take cleps on her own (cheaper per test)?

What about Jewish subjects tests? I’m imagine those are not cleps. Are they through some other system?

Thanks!

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:09 pm
Do you have any idea where she may end up? Frum college (TTI or Sara schnierer), touro or more secular like brooklyn college?

Just because one has clep credits, doesn't mean that the school will take it.
Especially if she will also have seminary credits.
The Jewish schools let most or all the credits (if you don't have enough, they encourage you to take specific tests that help you fill up your credit numbers)

I know touro caps how many credits you can transfer. They also don't let you use a clep instead of one of the mandatory classes.
https://las.touro.edu/student-.....licy/

You would have to look into the other colleges, they probably would take some.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:30 pm
AFAIK Jewish subject test are through TTI and are an easy way to get credits through what you already know, and through learning kodesh material. But call TTI; they have a hotline. The number should be on their website. https://testingandtraining.com/

DVOM

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 12:45 pm
I can't answer your question, but my husband got his undergrad degree through TTI. He found them to be extremely helpful in navigating a quick way through an undergraduate degree, which was a priority for him. He did need to take his sciences and labs elsewhere.

He got into some very prestigious master's/doctoral programs with his TTI degree (NYU, Columbia).

1ofbillions

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:01 pm
She can take CLEPs for free through Modern States.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 2:13 pm
Does it make sense to take them independently (other than Jewish subjects), because each test is cheaper than through tti, like $85 vs $135.

Also, are Jewish subjects tests available independently, or only tti administers them?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 14 2020, 11:04 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
She can take CLEPs for free through Modern States.

What’s modern states, and How does it work?

Is there a list Of “useful cleps” to take?
WhAt to do with them afterwards?

Sorry for so many questions, it’s all new territory to me, as I went to a regular brick and mortar college...

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s modern states, and How does it work?

Is there a list Of “useful cleps” to take?
WhAt to do with them afterwards?

Sorry for so many questions, it’s all new territory to me, as I went to a regular brick and mortar college...

That's kind of what TTI does and what you're paying them for. They do guidance and consultancy on how to get your degree in the most efficient way possible. No one knows all the answers to all your questions; it's a complicated parsha.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 12:58 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
That's kind of what TTI does and what you're paying them for. They do guidance and consultancy on how to get your degree in the most efficient way possible. No one knows all the answers to all your questions; it's a complicated parsha.

I hear but it’s like they encourage it now, and to don’t know where your kid is going to hold in 3-4 years. That’s why I want to minimize risk (and amount) of investment into their credits and to ensure most of them could be used outside of tti system, just in case our path is different or they’re no longer around.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 6:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I hear but it’s like they encourage it now, and to don’t know where your kid is going to hold in 3-4 years. That’s why I want to minimize risk (and amount) of investment into their credits and to ensure most of them could be used outside of tti system, just in case our path is different or they’re no longer around.

"Outside the TTI system" - what does that mean? That's exactly what their credits are designed for. They're not a college, they facilitate degrees. I've heard of people going on to all different schools afterwards. DVOM wrote here about how her husband got into NYU and Columbia after going through TTI.

Also, they've been around for ages. Also also, their credits are through partner colleges and would still be transferable if as you say "they're no longer around".

If you really want JSEs I think you should call them and ask them your questions. I'm not aware of how else you could take them.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:04 am
I did my bachelors through tti / excelsior college. I finished my degree by the time I got my seminary credits and started my masters after sem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics