Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do you wipe down youre grocery"s
Previous  1  2

behappy2

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 5:09 pm
No. I do wash my hands after touching something within a few hours of it having been touched. (Groceries not washing hands Monday for groceries that came Sunday)

amother
Plum

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 5:53 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
yes I wipe everything down.
If someone with the virus touched the bottle of milk but then decided to put it back and then I come along and buy that bottle of milk then it can spread to anyone in my household

Same
It's driving me crazy but I'm not letting go. We didn't get the virus as far as I know.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, May 15 2020, 7:24 pm
I tried doing that.

Then DH read me the label on the disinfectant... you need to use A LOT of spray, let it get wet, and then let it sit for 4-10 minutes. It doesn't work on cardboard/porous material. So basically, if you spray and wipe right away, you're just wasting precious disinfectant.

I was OCD about it before Pesach, but my little kids kept running to help me, touching the boxes and groceries inside faster than I could wipe down the packages. I yelled at them then felt horrible for yelling. So I stopped yelling and "chilled out".

Now I just wash my hands well after unpacking the groceries. Hashem yishmor aleinu because there is really no other way.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:55 pm
We didn't get the virus. Tested negative for anti bodies.

I wait 3 days before I unpack groceries or any packages. Items that need refrigerator, I wash in the sink with soap and water.

Somehow I'm scared too much Lysol is likely unhealthy so I'm trying to avoid spraying.

sky

Post Sat, May 16 2020, 11:59 pm
I don’t.
but my neighbor who is truly quarantining and high risk wipes everything down and lets things sit 72 hours.

happyone

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:30 am
no. very low risk according to most reports, whatever it's worth.

chocolatecake

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 12:53 am
I don’t wipe grocery orders or mail before opening.

Bubby6

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:07 am
Everything that comes from the grocery gets cleaned. I can't trust the guys who put on the shelves, the cashiers that just touched someone elses groceries etc and the packers.

Am I being OCD?

etky

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 2:46 am
Bubby6 wrote:
Everything that comes from the grocery gets cleaned. I can't trust the guys who put on the shelves, the cashiers that just touched someone elses groceries etc and the packers.

Am I being OCD?

You have to assume that everything has been touched by several people, any of whom could have COVID19.
You also have to assume that the virus can survive on surfaces and still cause infection in those who might touch the contaminated surfaces.
This is still the information disseminated by health authorities although quite honestly I think that the anecdotal evidence is casting a lot of doubt on the viability of the virus' transmission through this medium
That said, through an abundance of caution, we still quarantine non-perishables for 3 days and wipe down anything that needs to be refrigerated or frozen with an Alcogel wipe or wash with soap and water.
Mail and packages get quarantined too.
We know the risk is small but as long as we can do this we're keeping it up.
We pretty much have it down to a routine now so it's not as time consuming and stressful as it was at the beginning.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 4:54 am
No wiping down groceries but we do wash all produce a lot more carefully with soap.

Ora in town

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 4:59 am
No.
I learned that what you have to beware from as far as virus transmission through objects is concerned is:
- Eating uncooked food prepared by an (infected) person without mask or gloves. So in general, it might be better to avoid drinks & cold food in restaurants and takeouts... and don't mix for eating...
- public bathrooms...

transmission through touch make up less than 10% of transmissions.
The most important ways are droplets and aerosol transmission.

So beware of closed spaces shared with many people for a long time, I.e. subway, public transport, open space offices with faulty ventilation concepts, gyms, choir rehearsals (indoor minjanim with singing),

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:49 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Maybe that’s how u got it

No, we all know the exposure possibilities.
And we were all probably exposed around Purim if not earlier, before wiping packages like this was even a thing.

sky

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:55 am
Bubby6 wrote:

Am I being OCD?

If you believe you are at risk then I think you are behaving correctly.

I was at a supermarket recently and the cashiers were wearing no gloves or masks. (I was in shock because other stores even have pexi glass barriers)

At one point the cashier put her head down and made a tremendous yawn onto the food on conveyer belt. I was horrified.

So if you are at risk don’t assume the ppl delivering are behaving appropriate.

@Librarian said she was also in a store recently that wasnt taking precautions. And many questioned her story. It is definetly happening.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 8:57 am
Bubby6 wrote:

Am I being OCD?

I also wipe everything down. Things that cant be wiped down or washed we don't touch for 72 hours . Fruits and veggies we wash with soap and water.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 17 2020, 9:03 am
Just a PSA, even without COVID19 it is a good idea to wipe all of your grocery items down and wash fruits and veggies with soap and water (you realize that people touch these things after using the toilet and mot washing their hands, their are mice, etc.).
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics