Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Looking to adopt a dog

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:25 am
Hi
We've been going to and calling shelters but as of now no luck yet.
Anyone knows of a dog owner who for whatever reason has to give up their dog?
I know these things happen for financial reasons, job related, a move etc
We've owned a dog but he sadly passed away.
I'll gladly give references etc

Rappel

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:42 am
Where are you located?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 1:47 am
Near Monsey
But we'd travel far for the right dog...

Rappel

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:17 am
I'm sorry that you lost your dog.

What kind of dog are you looking for?

And why are the shelters/rescues falling through?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:48 am
I dont know about Monsey, but we were told, here in Israel, that the shelters are closed right now, partially because of corona.
So, that might be the issue. Wait it out. And then go to a shelter to find out.
Best thing we ever did, was to rescue a dog from a local shelter, 3 years ago.

Success10

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 2:49 am
I actually know someone in Tel Aviv who just adopted a rescue about 2 weeks ago.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 6:11 am
I read a while ago that due to Corona induced loneliness, so many dogs and cats have been adopted that many shelters are completely empty! There was a huge one in Riverside, CA that was constantly overflowing, and for the first time ever they don't have a single animal there.

If you have FB, check posts in your area. In my neighborhood we have a very active group that helps rehome pets before they ever get put into the shelter system. IMO, that's the best place to start looking.

And kudos to you for wanting to rescue! They are the BEST pets. They just seem a lot more grateful and attached than pets that come from a breeder (and I'm saying this as a retired breeder who gave it up to do rescue work.)

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 7:29 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I read a while ago that due to Corona induced loneliness, so many dogs and cats have been adopted that many shelters are completely empty! There was a huge one in Riverside, CA that was constantly overflowing, and for the first time ever they don't have a single animal there.

And kudos to you for wanting to rescue! They are the BEST pets. They just seem a lot more grateful and attached than pets that come from a breeder (and I'm saying this as a retired breeder who gave it up to do rescue work.)

Wow! That’s incredible! I do animal rescue and I’m so happy to hear that shelter pets have been adopted. I guess that’s one good thing that came out of coronavirus. And I think it’s amazing that you switched from being a breeder to a rescuer. Can I PM you about that?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:23 am
Thank you for all the replies
I know that many people are adopting now(quarantine adoptions)
Also due to covid many shelters are closed and the dogs are being fostered for now
The ones that are opened have appointments only. We can't just walk in and look at the dogs
We were about to adopt a dog which we couldn't even meet before adopting(only time able to pick up was shabbos so that fell through).
Ironically I used to be petrified of dogs. I'd cross the street if I saw any.
We got a dog for our daughter because she needed one for medical reasons.

I now LOVE dogs!!!!!

watergirl

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Also due to covid many shelters are closed and the dogs are being fostered for now
The ones that are opened have appointments only. We can't just walk in and look at the dogs
We were about to adopt a dog which we couldn't even meet before adopting(only time able to pick up was shabbos so that fell through).

I now LOVE dogs!!!!!

Thank you for picking shelters and not breeders!! Why dont you just make an appointment and go look?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 8:46 am
We have an appointment

We can't just look around though that's the issue.
This place works it differently but most shelters you come to see a particular dog found online
Just trying here too
We got the first one in a very unusual way which "fit" all my wants-it was clearly Bashert for us.

Rappel

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I now LOVE dogs!!!!!

Aw Smile it's weird that you can't meet the dogs, but I guess the shelters had to make special arrangements for Covid-19.

Again- what kind of dog are you looking for? Big/small? Young/old? Energetic/lazy? Fluffy/smooth? Super friendly/loyal to one family?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:19 am
The dog we couldn't pick up was an Australian Shepherd
I'd like:
Young(not a puppy unless I know the exact breed because I can't have a huge dog and won't know temperament)
Medium size(approx 40 pounds)
Friendly Very Happy
Doesn't bark for no reason
Energetic
Gender doesn't matter
Not too much shedding
Not too much grooming
Specific enough?
My daughter laughs at my criteria.
Especially from a shelter Very Happy

Rappel

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The dog we couldn't pick up was an Australian Shepherd
I'd like:
Young(not a puppy unless I know the exact breed because I can't have a huge dog)
Medium size(approx 40 pounds)
Friendly Very Happy
Doesn't bark for no reason
Energetic
Gender doesn't matter
Not too much shedding
Not too much grooming
Specific enough?
My daughter laughs at my criteria.
Especially from a shelter Very Happy

That's a very good picture of your perfect dog Smile though considering you almost got an Aussie, I'm not sure what you mean about too much shedding!

I'll ask around, and see if anyone I know in the Monsey area knows anything.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:26 am
Rappel wrote:
That's a very good picture of your perfect dog Smile though considering you almost got an Aussie, I'm not sure what you mean about too much shedding!

Well, the rescue told me it sheds twice a year and if you brush it well and daily it all comes out.
Is that not true?
Do golden retrievers shed more or it's comparable?
I'm learning
Our first dog was a hypo allergenic poodle.
No shedding at all
But my family wants a bigger dog and not a poodle(I'm not the only picky one around here)

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, May 27 2020, 10:13 pm
Someone posted on my Community Shul group this evening, that they were looking for someone to foster or adopt a 4year old Lab mix. They are a reasonable location for you (you said your near Monsey). PM me if you want me to share more information with you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets