Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Adding things to challah

amother

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 6:56 am
I made a huge batch of dough that is rising now. Can I make some sweet rolls by adding cinnamon and sugar and some savory or do they each need a different kind of dough?

Can anyone give me ideas of things they added to challahs?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 7:00 am
sauteed onions.

bigmomma

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 7:08 am
I always wondered that, like can I roll out challah dough, smear it with margerine and put some kind of cinnamin/cocoa or nut mixture.......Guess we can try it......

YALT

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 7:59 am
there's another thread with many replies.

Quote:
always wondered that, like can I roll out challah dough, smear it with margerine and put some kind of cinnamin/cocoa or nut mixture.......Guess we can try it......

Sounds like what my family calls "special challah". And we do do it like that (pretty much)

Basically, what we do is:
Roll out dough like for yeast cake. dot/smear (in between) margarine all over.
Fold in thirds and refridgerate for 15 minutes.
Take out, roll out, fold in thirds, refridge. The more times you do this step the more cakey it'll be.
Then, roll out, sprinkle cinnamon, sugar, raisins, & slivered almonds.
Roll up like yeast cake. Put in loaf pan. Bake like Challahs.

CAUTION:
If you use an egg challah recipe, it's a sofek if it's Hamotzi or Mezonos. So eat in the middle of Seudah.
Or ask your Rabbi.

louche

Post Fri, Dec 28 2007, 8:38 am
You want cake, be honest about it and make a cake. Challah is supposed to be bread. Special bread, of course; fancy bread, maybe; embellished bread, sure, why not? But it's got to be bread. Recognizable as such, and not somewhere in the halachic and nutritional twilight zone.

Start adding too much sweet stuff and you no longer have a challah, you have a cake. I've heard people rave about someone's chocolate chip challah. That, IMO, is definitely over the line, the movie "Bread and Chocolate" notwithstanding. At least in this country, chocolate is dessert material, not main course material.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 6:49 pm
louche.. why the vehemence?

what do you care?

Momof2kiddies

Post Sat, Dec 29 2007, 6:54 pm
Here's what I do: I prepare to make a braided challah so I make three "snakes". Then, I take a knife and cut vertically through each strand (like you would for a hot dog). In this seam, I sprinkle cinnamon, sugar, and white chocolate chips. seal it and proceed with the braid. It tastes incredible!

bashinda

Post Sun, Dec 30 2007, 5:22 pm
I find chocolate chip challah to be perfectly nice for rosh hashanah.

side note: when reading louche's post she reminded me of chen only with sharper nails.

AGINY

Post Mon, Jan 07 2008, 8:29 am
After rolling the ropes to braid, I roll them into za'atar spice. It adds such a great smell and flavor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads