Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Just got period.... swimming?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:35 am
Swimming and going to the beach is such a major part of our summer. What is appropriate for an almost 12 year old who just got her period for the first time this week? I gave her pads to use. I'm not opposed to tampons when she's a couple years older but right now I think that will totally freak her out. So, swimming? Options? Swimming with a pad has to be pretty gross. Or are there pads that won't disintegrate in the water?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:40 am
They make period swimsuits, but other than that, I don't think there are any non-inserted options that can be used for swimming.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 8:42 am
They have period underwear and bathing suits.

Besides from that - I don't swim on heavy days. It's too much of a balagan. At the end of period it's really light I'll go to an ocean with nothing and make sure to be in the water a lot. But I woudn't do a pool.

imokay

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 9:02 am
I know from personal experience that the swimming bathing suit and pad that accompanies it, do NOT work for a normal flow period. For a very light flow, it's ok.

Anyone who tells you that a period doesn't flow in the water has obviously not had a heavy/normal flow. Aside from the hygienic debate of blood in the pool, even if you don't see the the blood in the water, the second your daughter comes out of the pool, it will run down her legs.

Unless something new and radical has come to the market, after a lot of research and testing, I believe a tampon or menstrual cup is the only way.

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 10:31 am
Please please please teach your daughter to use a tampon! My younger daughter got it at 10 and I literally taught her on the first day as crazy as that sounds.I stood outside the door while she was inside and explained to her exactly what to do. It took a number of tries but then she figured it out and has been smooth sailing ever since. My two daughters both thanked me for teaching them so early on to use them because it gave them the ability not to run their life around their period. I also learned right away so I really don't understand why a mother would not want her daughter to be able to enjoy the summer.plus it's just so much better all around when you don't have to take a big pad to school.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 10:48 am
Menstrual cups are the best for swimming, but I don't know if there are any that are suitable for that age.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Swimming and going to the beach is such a major part of our summer. What is appropriate for an almost 12 year old who just got her period for the first time this week? I gave her pads to use. I'm not opposed to tampons when she's a couple years older but right now I think that will totally freak her out. So, swimming? Options? Swimming with a pad has to be pretty gross. Or are there pads that won't disintegrate in the water?

I am a lifelong swimmer and started my period at 11. My mom gave me pads and I said “I need tampons” and never looked back. (Until I started the cup about four years ago which is also fine with swimming.)

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 10:58 am
twizzlers1 wrote:
Please please please teach your daughter to use a tampon! My younger daughter got it at 10 and I literally taught her on the first day as crazy as that sounds.I stood outside the door while she was inside and explained to her exactly what to do. It took a number of tries but then she figured it out and has been smooth sailing ever since. My two daughters both thanked me for teaching them so early on to use them because it gave them the ability not to run their life around their period. I also learned right away so I really don't understand why a mother would not want her daughter to be able to enjoy the summer.plus it's just so much better all around when you don't have to take a big pad to school.

I agree heartily except I am puzzled that a girl would need someone to “teach” her what to do versus her figuring it on her own with the instructions. That’s what I did at 11. 🤷‍♀️

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:03 am
My 12-year-old DD just got her period for the first time, and I'm introducing her to tampons. Checked with pediatrician and there's no reason not to.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
I agree heartily except I am puzzled that a girl would need someone to “teach” her what to do versus her figuring it on her own with the instructions. That’s what I did at 11. 🤷‍♀️

Everyone's different. My (older) DD needed help figuring it out, and she was 14.

Amarante

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:04 am
Being able to swim in the summer was the reason that I learned to use tampons as a teenager. It was EXTREMELY motivating.

I remember the first summer when I got my period and we were visiting friends who had a backyard pool and I was not only miserable because I couldn't swim but because I was embarrassed to let anyone know why I wasn't swimming. I still remember the kindness of the hostess who put her arms around me and made some kind of face saving explanation of why I wasn't going in the water.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Jun 15 2020, 11:08 am
Amarante wrote:
Being able to swim in the summer was the reason that I learned to use tampons as a teenager. It was EXTREMELY motivating.

I remember the first summer when I got my period and we were visiting friends who had a backyard pool and I was not only miserable because I couldn't swim but because I was embarrassed to let anyone know why I wasn't swimming. I still remember the kindness of the hostess who put her arms around me and made some kind of face saving explanation of why I wasn't going in the water.

The day my niece's stepmother saw her crying the morning of a camp trip and handed her a tampon so she wouldn't miss the trip, she gained respect in my eyes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children