Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Why so much junk?! 😬

top mom

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:32 am
My kids have parties every day, it's the end of the school year, and they eat a year's worth of sugar on a daily basis!
One child gets pinworms and screams half the night, another has several root canals...
Not a single child needs all that candy!
There are absolutely no benefits, kids are happy to receive the candy, but then they vomit, have upset stomachs....
Can the schools switch over to prizes, privileges, and maybe one treat per occasion?
I'm forever fighting with my kids over one more taffy etc. I try to explain to them that it's for their own good, but they're kids after all!
I told one dc that we'll go to the dollar store to get him prizes, in exchange for all the junk. But that's only for what he brought home!
I have no clue what he stuffed himself with at school!
Thanks for listening
Vent over

malki2

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:38 am
I could have written the same rant.

camp123

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:34 am
And then they complain that the kids today are hyperactive, I wonder why Smile

Have you complained to the school?
I feel if more people would complain maybe there would be some chance in minimizing this.

It makes my blood boil.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 9:15 am
Omg I made a thread about this a few weeks ago. It’s impossibly frustrating. And not too many people here seemed sympathetic. I wasn’t high important enough on their radar to warrant any kind of movement to change things. I’m sorry Sad

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 9:22 am
And then you the inevitable child in the class who is gluten free/allergic to food coloring/on the SCD diet for crohns whatever, who has sit and observe as every single celebration, party or even little reward is focused around treats. Have some rachmanus...

ETA- And its not as though its once in a blue moon. Once a month, fine, the kid can feel a bit sad but put their chin up and move on.
But every single day! Black and white cookies for rosh chodesh, a can of coke for earning 3 tickets, jelly beans for this, taffy for that, lollies, candy every single day...its crazy

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 9:24 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
And then you the inevitable child in the class who is gluten free/allergic to food coloring/on the SCD diet for crohns whatever, who has sit and observe as every single celebration, party or even little reward is focused around treats. Have some rachmanus...
thats my kid Sad

realb

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 10:24 am
I had the same question... they say food coloring is terrible for the kids..... even if I don't buy candy my kids consume so much junk from school and camp!

little neshamala

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:29 pm
It really is too much. All rewards revolve around food. So much candy..

mamma llama

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:39 pm
I feel that as a lover of all things sweet, it is my duty to remind everyone here that one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Junk food shall prevail! Hooray

keym

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:43 pm
I've found that I made the most headway with my boys schools when we discussed trading all that candy for a "siyum seudah". There's still some candy and soda, but not 30 kids worth, more like 8. The rest of the kids bring in pickles, hot peppers, kugels, Frank's and blanks, deli roll, deli salad etc. The school provides rolls and deli for lunch, day of the party.
It's not the most healthy, but it's better.
Though my school does allow us homemade food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children