Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
College today-not for frum people
Previous  1  2

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I heard people at Touro say that they had to lie about their viewpoints and pretend they are liberal in order to get good grades in some classes so its not just secular schools that are affected by what is going on in American colleges.

I wouldn't really call Touro a "frum" option.

giselle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:34 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I heard people at Touro say that they had to lie about their viewpoints and pretend they are liberal in order to get good grades in some classes so its not just secular schools that are affected by what is going on in American colleges.

I tried this as an experiment in my secular college. I think I got an A+.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:42 pm
giselle wrote:
I tried this as an experiment in my secular college. I think I got an A+.

I got downgraded at my secular college by some professors who had different grading requirements based on skin color so I guess our experiences are different. Oh, and these professors were white liberals who believed that they can treat people differently and grade them accordingly. The school didnt do anything about it.

Hatemywig

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:59 pm
I actually stopped going to college because I couldn't handle the ideology. I couldn't stand the subtle-not-so-subtle constant jabs at religion. I believe that most colleges are truly dark places.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 7:05 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
So let's explore this. A professor made a comment that you disagree with. The college he works for also found the comment repugnant, and said so. But because someone dared to express an opinion that you disagree with, you would foreclose all colleges for all frum people, limiting their professions and income forever. (Full-time workers without a high school diploma had median weekly earnings of $515, compared with $718 for high school graduates (no college) and $1,189 for those with a bachelor's degree. Full-time workers with advanced degrees (professional or master's degree and above) had median weekly earnings of $1,451.)

Because you think that your children are too stupid to weigh different opinions? Or because you're afraid that if they hear something different from your party line, they might disagree with you?

I'm not going to get into the particulars of the case, but in general it seems that the college is afraid that the students will hear something different from the pc party line and who knows what HE double toothpicks will pay out. They're the ones who are stifling free speech.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 7:06 pm
I went to what's considered a very good school. A "public ivy"

It was made very clear that there was a popular opinion in a matters and anyone who thought differently was silenced. This was 20 years ago already.

I wasn't even frum.

Not every liberal of them to bully me out of a voice.

My professor praised Sadam Hussein. He was his hero. Vomit.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 7:09 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I wouldn't really call Touro a "frum" option.
L

Why would you say this?

causemommysaid

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:59 pm
malki2 wrote:
While I do generally agree with what you said, I would like to say that for those who go through the STEM studies, the experience is not the same. There is very little liberal indoctrination in those areas, and also the student are much more serious, with many or most of them being Asians and Indians and other nationalities.

I agree with this.

My degree program was filled with brainy students who had no time for the BS going on in the liberal arts departments. We were all too busy studying and trying to pass insanely hard exams.

I remember every time we had to take a gen ed class it was a complete culture shock. Like WOW! You guys really sit around all day and whine about racism and diversity? You write papers on this cr@p? So fun!!! I wish all I had to do was write a three page double spaced essay pulling quotes off Wikipedia.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics